Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AIrport Extreme BS losing connection

AIrport Extreme BS losing connection
Robe
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2003, 05:24 AM

Hello All.

I have a problem that has just started recently. After long periods of inactivity - overnight, my AEBS lose it's connection with the internet. The cable modem appears to working (all lights on etc...) What I have to do is unplug the AEBS and plug it back in - everything works fine after the restart of the AEBS.

Some other clues - File sharing works between computers, so it is just the internet connection that is lost. Al 17, Ti 667 DVI and old iMAC - all wireless.

Please, any help would be appreciated!

Robe

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2003, 07:55 AM

I get the same problem. Quite frequently.

The weird thing is that other services will continue to work, e.g. BitTorrent will continue downloading (though I think new torrents will fail to connect). But all the client machines will refuse to see the web.

Very frustrating when my gf is at home with baby while I am at work, as she uses laptop at bottom of house and BS is at the top. Very inconvenient for her when it all stops working...

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 02:11 PM

I've had cable service for over 3 years now, and have had this happen from time to time. Almost exclusively for me, this has been caused by my ISP's network. Either there is a trouble ticket in the area or there is a bad connection somewhere right before my house (or my provided cable modem was bad, which I simply replaced for free). Sometimes it looks like there's a problem on my side, cuz my router acts funny, but it almost ALWAYS ends up being an ISP issue that either resolves itself or is fixed by me calling them for a repair.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 29, 2003, 09:26 PM

I have DSL, and the same basic experience as aaanorton. My hardware is rock solid (as long as the power is good, so I have all my network stuff on an UPS), even when my provider has problems.

As a basic rule of thumb, if you can browse other computers on your LAN, just about all of your network equipment is working. While there isn't as direct a way to check with an AirPort base, I can check my Linksys gateway router to see whether or not it thinks it's connected, which checks the rest of my home network. A quick call to a toll free number tells me what's up: if I am on hold for several minutes before talking to somebody, there's a system problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 05:22 AM

if your having weird problems with your airport lights freezing up and your net being disconnected, downgrade the firmware to the 3.0/5.0 package from apple

there's a 5.1.1 update for the 5.1 firmware but i haven't tried it.

or it could be the filesharing apps you're running

or as previously said, it could be your isp, my isp acts up like every omnday and friday for some reason
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2003, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
if your having weird problems with your airport lights freezing up and your net being disconnected, downgrade the firmware to the 3.0/5.0 package from apple
could you please provide provide a link ?
I searched the apple site, and got lost among the 2.x.x versions available...

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2003, 07:12 PM

I found the 5.0.4 firmware file (currently using 5.1.1). Will that do ?
Do I need to downgrade the Airport software on my mac too (using latest version on 10.2.6) ?

thx for your help

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 01:08 AM

one donegrade is 5.04, thats the basestation, right?

the other is a 3.0 downgrade, i downloaded the downgrade as a combo (it was the old 5.04/3.0 update)
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules