Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Already sent TWO 15-inch PowerBooks back to Apple!

Already sent TWO 15-inch PowerBooks back to Apple!
PLin
Oct 11, 2003, 01:09 PM

The first 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook I received from Apple had a problem and was exchanged. The fact that my original order was for a BTO model doesn't help, since it took a while to get it replaced. Guess what? The replacement also had a problem. I'm currently waiting for my third PowerBook now. You can read the detials here:

http://www.technohappymeal.com/archives/000092.html

zos
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 02:22 PM

Huh? Reading the subject I thought you would be reporting some of the problems that other 15-inch Albook owners have.

I thought it takes 7 dead pixels or 5 bright (always on) to be replaced, you got a replacement PowerBook for having 1 stuck pixel? Also, how major was that scratch on the second Book? Two entire replacements and a free wireless mouse, you sure have a knack with talking to customer service. Give more detail on how you went about doing this.

PLin  (op)
Oct 11, 2003, 04:29 PM

I thought I gave a lot of detail in my website article about what happened, but I'll try to answer your questions.

Although Apple's official policy is to replace the display only if it has a significant number of bad pixels, there seems to be another policy for the location of the pixels. Regardless, it has been reported in the forums before that local Apple Stores usually will swap machines for you. In my case, the local Apple Store couldn't swap it, since it was a custom configuration. When I explained this to Customer Relations, they agreed to swap it.

The scratch/dent on the replacement PowerBook screen wasn't extremely noticeable. If Apple refused to replace it, I could have probably lived with it. However, it is actually very difficult to scratch your LCD. I'm sure that everyone gets upset if someone sitting next to you points at something on the screen and hits it with their fingernail, but when does that ever really result in a dent on the screen? It was obviously something that happened at the factory. I think the case note by the Mac Genius stating that he also saw the scratch helped a lot for me to convince Apple to exchange it.

Regarding the free mouse, I actually got the idea from another forum post. Someone mentioned that their PowerBook order was delayed, and he called to cancel it. He was offered a free wireless keyboard as incentive to keep waiting. So, I asked the sales rep if he could offer me a discount or anything for my inconvenience, since I wouldn't be receiving my PowerBook until almost 6 months after my order date. He said that he only had the flexibility to offer me an item worth around $50. I asked him if he could give me the wireless mouse, and he said that he could do that.

My experience with Apple during the last few weeks reminds me why I have remained loyal to them over the last few years. I have always had good service from them in the past.

AHDuke99
Oct 11, 2003, 10:43 PM

I have a stuck red pixel in the same area as you did, I am calling Apple again Monday and will talk, I have been using macs since 1988 and I hope I don't have to use this machine much longer, the pixel can be viewed from across a room it is so visible.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2003, 10:50 PM

Man, I have 3 stuck pixels on my 20" cinema display I just bought. Can I get an exchange?

AHDuke99
Oct 11, 2003, 11:18 PM

I don't know, if what this guy is saying is true, my red pixel is in the middle of my screen, so I hope they replace mine, i will argue this. As for your 20" display, I don't know, depends if they are in the corner or dead center as mine is.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 11:47 PM

Now look what you did PLin

Everyone with a single dead pixel is going to call and complain.

As we all know there is not much apple can do to make sure that all their screens are 100% ok.

If everyone with a dead pixel got a replacement, our laptops would be twice as expensive.

I had a stuck red pixel on my rev.a 12' and I was ok with it,

Now my 15' is flawless which is nice
Force
Force

Ryan1524
Senior User
Oct 12, 2003, 01:03 AM

that sucks. let's hope third time's a charm.

we really must thank the early adopters. they're the ones who takes the brunt of the breaking-in batch. seems like that's typical of apple to have problems with the first of firsts.

to the people with problems, i thank and salute you. (and good luck with the machine/s)
Ryan

PLin  (op)
Oct 12, 2003, 02:11 AM

I'm not sure that everyone with a single bad pixel will be able to get theirs replaced. I think it has a lot to do with luck. If one customer relations rep denies your claim, I have a feeling that he will make a note of it in your account, so it probably won't help to try calling back to get a different rep.

According to the rep who agreed to exchange mine, they were willing to do this for me just this one time, only because I was under the impression that Apple was willing to swap machines for you if you bought directly from them. While this is sometimes the case at some retail stores, Apple does not do this for online or phone purchases. If my replacement unit had 2 or even 3 bad pixels, I think I would have been stuck with it.

If you're willing to take the chance, then by all means try to request an exchange. In my case, I won't be getting my PowerBook until 6 weeks after I had originally ordered it, and it may have more bad pixels than the first one. For some, that's too long to wait and not worth the risk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules