Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Logging Into Panther From XP No Longer Works

Logging Into Panther From XP No Longer Works
LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 06:38 PM

I'm going nuts trying to figure out why I can't log into my G4 from my XP box since I installed Panther. Every time I try to log in, I get a dialog that says:

"The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect using a different name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share."

Of course there are no network mappings by any user of the XP box, so I have no idea what Windows is trying to tell me. I can only assume that Panther is deluding XP into thinking this somehow since this problem only showed up when I installed OS X 10.3.

Windows Sharing is enabled in the Network Services pane of System Preferences. I can't find any other control that would enable or disable Windows access from a particular account the way it was implemented in Jaguar. Directory Access has SMB enabled. The correct Workgroup has been assigned. Anyone have an idea about what could be happening?

LaGow  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 06:50 PM

Oh cripes, I just answered my own question.

I still can't figure out why I can't browse the network and log on--XP sees my server and its shares bt won't go any farther--but by following the obvious and simple directions on the sharing preference pane itself it's, ahem, pretty simple and works fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules