Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ode to an iBook 500

ode to an iBook 500
webb3201
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 01:48 PM

As a gadget nut, I enjoy setting up new computers as a hobby. Like many of you, I grab a different machine about every 6 months and enjoy getting everything the way I like it before moving it on. Ebay has allowed me to own about 8 different Powerbook models over the last three years.

As I looked over to my wife's desk, I realized that we still have an iceBook 500 which we purchased new a few months after release. This machine was miraculously saved from my machinations, and continues to serve as her main machine. The machine is currently running Panther with 320mb of ram and feels peppy. I asked if she would like an upgrade and she said no. The only thing we have done (other than more ram and Panther) was to add a new battery.
I salute the one constant in my computer universe. Carry on.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

petehammer
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by webb3201:
Ebay has allowed me to own about 8 different Powerbook models over the last three years.
Good lord!

But, a good story to hear, especially since I might be getting an iBook 500 soon.

If payday ever comes.
If after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say ["You're right, we were wrong -- good job"] -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush."
-moki, 04/16/03 (Props to Spheric Harlot)

willed
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 03:50 PM

Mine's still going strong, with no prospect of an upgrade for the foreseeable future It would be fine but I've almost maxed out the HD (10G) with music and pictures. Good machine though - like you, only needed a new battery. Otherwise, no probs.

mark2
Nov 10, 2003, 12:04 PM

I have an iBook 500 and love it. I've thought about getting a newer, faster machine, but this computer is just about bullet-proof.

Never had a problem with it and it still does everything I need it to do. I still have another year of Apple Care left, so why make a change.

I'd really like to see more reports of how well Panther runs on this model. I'm presently at 10.2.3 with no problems so there is no hurry to upgrade the OS, either. : )

york28
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 12:30 PM

Panther runs great on my 500 iBook. I have traded out the hard disk for an IBM 40 gig drive, which gave a big spead bump under Jaguar when I installed it.

Also, more RAM helps, I have a 512MB stick in mine.

I'm planning on keeping it for at least another year. I was really close to getting a new machine, but I really don't need one.

It's worth upgrading to Panther.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

CroMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 12:41 PM

I am sorry, but I can not share your taste..
Panther have an ichat idea. Great i tought, but then - suprise, suprise...
Can not running, because they need G3 600 minimum...
Under Jaguar machine get slower and slower..
Dont know why, have just couple of MP3 undr the i Tunes, and photos under the iphoto...
And cant running a netmeeting never and ever on the OS platforms..
Ok. That is. Need more?

schramm-i-am
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 01:34 PM

I am adding more RAM to my 500 - i am just going to max it out - i was looking a the kingston 512 - anyone have any suggestions ? Then I am upgrading from 10.1.5! to panther.

mark2
Nov 12, 2003, 12:42 PM

CroMac, I can't understand all of your message, but if your machine slows down for no reason, you have issues other than the model and the OS you're running. Do you do any maintenance on your machine?

Download macjanitor from versiontracker and run it weekly. Repair permissions�and, run fsck -y �do a search, there are instructions all over the web, or go to Apple's site, there is lots of information there.

<Under Jaguar machine get slower and slower..
Dont know why, have just couple of MP3 undr the i Tunes, and photos under the iphoto...>

Voch
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 02:45 PM

I bought one of the first iBook/500's and have since moved to a PowerBook G4/667/DVI. The iBook felt a little sluggish running 10.1 but I imagine it's faster now in Panther. It was the nicest machine I ever had in the sense of portability and AirPort reception.

My step-aunt now has my old iBook/500 and I will plop Panther on it for her someday.

Voch

pat++
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 04:36 PM

I own a 500mhz iBook too. This is my first Mac. I bought it 2-3 months after the release. It came with OS X 10.0... and it was pretty slow.... Jaguar was OK, but still slow on this iBook. Panther is soooo mmuuucchhh moooore responsive I haven't had any problems in almost 2years and a half. My only complain is that I can't do video chat with iChat because Apple wants you to have at least a 600mhz G3

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 04:45 PM

I used to own a iBook 500, and it served me well, although the battery started to seriously go after a year (it held less than an hour's charge running OS X). Then I got some new software for it (Warcraft III to be exact), and noticed that the 66 MHz bus and 8 MB of VRAM just wasn't cutting it anymore.

I sold it to a friend who is an old Unix guru and wanted to experiment with OS X, and bought an iBook 800. It's about twice as fast as the 500, when you take the faster bus and larger VRAM into account. And now we have two happy Mac users!

pat++
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:

I sold it to a friend who is an old Unix guru and wanted to experiment with OS X, and bought an iBook 800. It's about twice as fast as the 500, when you take the faster bus and larger VRAM into account. And now we have two happy Mac users!
Yeah, actually I did some benchmarks between my 500mhz iBook and my brother's 700. And the 700 is already twice as fast! (700 with 16mb of VRAM)

MacFreq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 06:44 PM

i too have an iBook 500 under 10.2.8
the last jump from 10.2.6 to .8 took some breath out of it, so it might be time for Panther as well.

runs nicely after everything is up past the tiny 66mhz bus and playing happily in RAM. I do audio work on it and am quite happy with it.
(making music baby)

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 10:45 PM

Ebay has allowed me to own about 8 different Powerbook models over the last three years.
Since your an expert at selling Macs on Ebay do you have any pointers for people who want to sell their Macs on Ebay? How much "%" do you make back usually? And how do you determine what price to sell at?

imago dei
Nov 13, 2003, 02:31 PM

I'll add to the positive experiences with the 500mhz dual usb iBooks. I bought mine about a month after they were released in 2001. There have been some nasty issues with battery life, the backlight on the LCD dying, and the DVD drive acting up, but AppleCare has covered each and every problem. With Panther installed, it is more or less meeting my basic needs in a computer. I've started to get into Digital Audio, and wouldn't mind some a faster system bus, processor, and hard drive, but in all honesty, the iBook handles my day to day needs perfectly!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2003, 08:38 PM

Just added to my 600MHz iBook (8MB VRAM) a new battery, maxed out the RAM, replaced the DVD-ROM with a combo drive, and installed Panther. Only cost half of what a new one would and I feel it's got a new lease on life

The new battery looks just a bit funny, though. The iBook case is translucent white, but the new battery is opaque white.

admiraldennis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2003, 02:26 AM

I have a trusty 500mhz dual-usb ibook with 256MB of RAM. Will swapping one of the 128 sticks for a 512 make a signiificant difference? If so, in what areas?

And I'd love to get a 40GB HD to replace the wimpy 10GB one, but I didn't think this was possible to do (??).

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2003, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by admiraldennis:
I have a trusty 500mhz dual-usb ibook with 256MB of RAM. Will swapping one of the 128 sticks for a 512 make a signiificant difference? If so, in what areas?
More memory will make things a bit faster if you're running large applications or have lots of applications open.
And I'd love to get a 40GB HD to replace the wimpy 10GB one, but I didn't think this was possible to do (??).
I put an 80GB drive in my 600Mhz model, myself. I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself unless you're good at taking things apart and putting them back together. (There are dozens of screws and tiny details.) But, you can hire someone to do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules