Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > FULL supported for unsupported drives in 10.3 (iTunes and everything)

FULL supported for unsupported drives in 10.3 (iTunes and everything)
djjuice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 09:51 AM

download this file: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/djjuic....framework.sit

unstuff and inside that folder find the DeviceSupport.drprofile and add find your brand of drive. if its not listed you can just use any listed brand. From here change drive model shown to the one listed in your Drive Type in the Apple System Profiler (example: CDRW/DVD DBW-521) Now if you drive brand name isnt listed just use any brand and just make sure you change it to brand of drive you have. ( yes its a repeat ). A bit farther down you'll see this line that says DRDeviceOverrideCanWriteCDSAO and underneath it you see the word false in brackets change this to true save your work and replace the DiscRecording.Framework folder with the one currently in your /System/Library/Frameworks/

dr.george
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 10:35 AM

hi i'm giorgio , i sent you an email yerterday, anything on how to make my external drive work ? ..�

thanks.
iMac 20 Core Duo 2.0 Ghz / 1 GB RAM / 250 GB / ATI X1600

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2003, 12:32 PM

Sweet!
Worked like a charm, just burned a cd from iTunes with my sony dru-510a. I had to modify the DeviceSupport.drprofile, I changed the dru-500 to dru-510.

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 01:47 PM

don't screw with /System

here's a better solution

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...uery=drprofile
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

djjuice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by BatmanPPC:
don't screw with /System

here's a better solution

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...uery=drprofile

that solution is CRAP!! you dont get itunes support you dont get finder support.. you get limited support through Disc Copy. if you want FULL Finder, iTunes, Everything supported you follow my modification.. all you have to do is make a backup of your existing DiscRecording.framework.. dont follow that crappy hint it doesnt give you full support like this does...
( Last edited by djjuice; Nov 13, 2003 at 02:24 PM. )

kiazer
Nov 13, 2003, 03:30 PM

Think this will work with a Sony CRX220E1 in a USB 2 external case????

AlphaQuam
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 05:41 PM

Think it'll work with my Nomad Jukebox 3? I've been trying to get that damn thing to mount for weeks... shows up in the system profiler but can't access it.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 08:07 PM

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 06:22 PM

10.3.1. I haven't actually tried burning anything yet via Apple tools, though (as this is my work machine). I had been previously having problems with this same drive at home with my Pismo (the drive is usually in a FireWire case).

At home both Toast and Dragon Burn fail to write CDs AND DVDs with weird errors. This is fairly reassuring, though if I can't get the drive to work at home (where I need it most), I'll be pretty bummed.

Regardless, thanks for the hack. Good bunch of men in these forums.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2003, 06:49 PM

I did something similar that to get my burner to work back in the 10.1 days. Worked like a charm.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

***sub***
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2003, 09:40 PM

thanks djjuice! this worked perfectly for me.

Giorgio, i have an external firewire cd burner also. simply change "DRDeviceAlternateVendorName" to the brand of your firewire enclosure, then change "DRDeviceProductName" to the model no. of the drive in the enclosure, and DRDeviceVendorName to the manufacturer of the drive inside the enclosure. Of course you have to follow the other steps that djjuice outlines.

wkw888
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 12:47 PM

Hey, what program did you guys use to open the DeviceSupport.drprofile file? I found the file but it doesn't pick a default app to open it.

thanks

bill

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by wkw888:
Hey, what program did you guys use to open the DeviceSupport.drprofile file? I found the file but it doesn't pick a default app to open it.
It's a text file. Open it in TextEdit.

I add TextEdit to my dock specifically for this purpose... I can drag any document to TextEdit and it opens easily.

wkw888
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2003, 01:40 AM

Yep, textedit worked. I actually did it a coupla days ago, the new burner has full support! thanks for the fix!

bill

hifi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 12:53 AM

do you realize that you are telling people to replace their disc recording framework with a development copy from a pre-release build of panther.

that is wrong on so many levels I won't even begin to discuss it.

it has obviously changed since then, you have no idea what could be broken or what is missing.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by hifi:
do you realize that you are telling people to replace their disc recording framework with a development copy from a pre-release build of panther.

that is wrong on so many levels I won't even begin to discuss it.

it has obviously changed since then, you have no idea what could be broken or what is missing.
Obviously nobody's had any problems so I'm not so sure what your qualm is...

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2003, 08:46 PM

It's fine as long as people realize that there is a possibility that their system will be hosed.

superlarry
Senior User
Dec 3, 2003, 12:02 AM

1. what happened to it?

2. maybe somebody could update it to accurately reflect the current set of supported drives by default.

TonyIC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 12:28 PM

I would be interested in this as well.

Heck I would even be happy to get a full list of drives that 10.3 does support.

I need to get my road warrior pismo fully operational again.
( Last edited by TonyIC; Dec 3, 2003 at 12:33 PM. )

Tomster
Senior User
Dec 3, 2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Obviously nobody's had any problems so I'm not so sure what your qualm is...

There is one issue that needs to be addressed. If the poster created the file himself/herself, no big deal. If, however, the poster is indeed redistributing pre-release, developer Panther files without a license, well there's a word for that.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
There is one issue that needs to be addressed. If the poster created the file himself/herself, no big deal. If, however, the poster is indeed redistributing pre-release, developer Panther files without a license, well there's a word for that.
Well I just wonder why this DeviceSupport.drprofile file isn't in Panther anymore... and why, when we stick some random one in there, does it just work.

I'm stoked it allows me to burn in iTunes and Finder, but the truth is... I never do. Toast owns me.

edit: I was mistaken, there IS a DeviceSupport.drprofile in 10.3. In all my hacking I ended up tainting all of my 10.3 boxes and I became confused. Oops.

After a little research I found a quote from this xlr8yourmac article:

in 10.3 Apple has changed the way CD/DVD writers are recognized. There aren't special drivers any more, now there is an XML file instead. Unfortunately Apple has implemented some kind of security mechanism, preventing this XML file from being patched. Any patch will render the file to be corrupt and not loaded by the burning framework.
Thanks to djjuice for this hack, and since his mirror has gone down I have thrown the framework up on my iDisk: http://homepage.mac.com/aorth/.Publi....framework.tgz

Enjoy.
( Last edited by tooki; Feb 8, 2004 at 02:51 AM. )

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 12:54 AM

Word. A lot has happened to Panther over the last two months and I've started having problems with my Sony DRU-510a... Toast gives tons of weird errors instantaneously after hitting record to DVD media (both -R and -RW, and I'm too poor to test more). I started keeping records of these errors for later reference, you can see most of the ones I caught here.

I've gotten similar results on my Mac at work, which I also performed the hack on several months ago. The drive does work flawlessly on a G5 I've been testing at work, and perfectly in my PC workstation (where I mount the drive internally, rather than through an external FireWire case).

I can't remember where I stumbled upon this, but here's PatchBurn II for Panther... http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/panther_cdr_support.html

Lemme know if it works, I can't test it just yet.

wkw888
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 01:27 AM

Patchburn works for me. I am running os 10.3.2 with a SONY DVD RW DW-U14A dvd burner

bill

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by wkw888:
Patchburn works for me. I am running os 10.3.2 with a SONY DVD RW DW-U14A dvd burner

bill
Good to hear that it works, I think that DW-U14A is the same drive I have (DRU-510A) but inside a FireWire case... Had you hacked the framework previously?
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Feb 8, 2004 at 02:15 PM. )

wkw888
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 12:48 PM

yes I did hack it previously and it did work. I reinstalled my system at a later date and couldn't get it to work again though. Its possible that I wasn't following the directions correctly. I will never know, djjuice told me about Pathburn II.

Forum Links
Forum Rules