Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 PS Fan Noise

G5 PS Fan Noise
davebl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2004, 02:34 PM

I just got in a Dual 2 G5 Refurb.

The Power Supply fan (best that I can guess) sounds like the bearing is dirty. Its a very low level scratchy noise, but it makes the whole system very annoying to be sitting here beside me.

Does anyone else's sound like this?

I purchased AppleCare so HOPEFULLY someone will drop by my house and replace this dude.

Also, when plugging in your headphones to the front of the system, should your speakers connected the rear analog port mute?

thanks

davebl

osxisfun
May 23, 2004, 09:26 PM

Also, when plugging in your headphones to the front of the system, should your speakers connected the rear analog port mute?

I have not figured out the logic to it yet.

i have some basic jbl speakers hooked up via the back audio. but when i plug in my ipod headphones to the front port i don't hear anything. but if i plug in my headphones to the front i do.

?

maybe its a power thing.

Nigel Tufnel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 10:57 PM

I just bought a new G5 2Ghz machine and I'm VERY dissapointed. It is so loud I can't bear to be in the same room as it. There is no way I could talk on the phone or hold a conversation in the same room . . . Yes, it's that loud! There has to be something wrong. Are your machines this loud? It has to be 3 times as loud as any computer I've ever owned.

davebl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel:
I just bought a new G5 2Ghz machine and I'm VERY dissapointed. It is so loud I can't bear to be in the same room as it. There is no way I could talk on the phone or hold a conversation in the same room . . . Yes, it's that loud! There has to be something wrong. Are your machines this loud? It has to be 3 times as loud as any computer I've ever owned.
There may be a firmware to correct your problem.

Try going here: http://search.info.apple.com/?search...dload&q=120287 and see if you need to update your firmware.

The apple tech tried to get me to do this, but I finally got the [insert mean phrase] to realize a firmware update would not fix a mechanically defective fan.

its worth a shot for you though.

dave

Robe
Forum Regular
May 25, 2004, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by davebl:
There may be a firmware to correct your problem.

Try going here: http://search.info.apple.com/?search...dload&q=120287 and see if you need to update your firmware.

The apple tech tried to get me to do this, but I finally got the [insert mean phrase] to realize a firmware update would not fix a mechanically defective fan.

its worth a shot for you though.

dave
IS there a way to see the firmware version that I already have? I may not need the update. If I download and try to install, is it smart enough to tell me that I do not need to update my firmware? I hope so!

Robe

davebl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Robe:
IS there a way to see the firmware version that I already have? I may not need the update. If I download and try to install, is it smart enough to tell me that I do not need to update my firmware? I hope so!

Robe

Click the Apple at the top left of the menu bar
Click "About this Mac"
Click "more info"

Look at your Boot Rom Info. I think it needs to be at least 5.14 or 5.15f0

dave

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 08:15 AM

When attempting to install the Firmware, you will ne notified if you are not in need of the Firmware.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

osxisfun
May 25, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Nigel Tufnel:
there is something wrong this is not normal.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2004, 12:14 PM

The kind of noise you are talking about is suggestive of the mode in which all the fans are going full-blast, which can happen under a number of circumstances.

Mac OS X on the G5 monitors the temperatures of the processors (actually, various 'zones' within the computer) and adjusts the fan speed accordingly to keep the G5 as quiet as possible, while still remaining cool enough to keep the hardware happy.

I know of 3 distinct circumstances in which this doesn't apply, which makes a G5 sound like a jet aircraft:

1) Firewire Target Disk Mode. If your G5 is operating as a firewire target disk, OS X isn't running... just some minimal firmware to allow the system to look like a hard-drive to a firewire connected PC. This undoubtedly is not your problem.

2) OS X crash. If OS has a kernel panic and is no longer adjusting the fan speeds, they default to being full-blast. This undoubtedly is not your problem.

3) If you remove the side of the G5, you'll immediately encounter a transparent plastic airflow guide. If that is removed, or isn't seated properly, the G5's fans go full-bore to compensate for the fact that the airflow isn't as efficient as it needs to be. The most likely scenario is that either that airflow guide may have dislodged during transport of your unit, or you may have a bad switch which isn't detecting the fact that the airflow guide is properly installed. The simplest thing is to just make sure the airflow guide is in place. If it is, and you still have really loud fans, your G5 needs servicing.

Nigel Tufnel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 02:42 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. The firmware is already 5.15f0 and I've checked the fit and placement of the clear airflow panel. I've hit the reset button on the bottom right side of the memory board itself and the fan is still blasting. I'm running a hardware test right now and am working with the Apple Support people. It doesn't sound good to me.

I thought that ordering direct from Apple would be a much better experience than this has turned out to be. I simply ordered a G5 with 2 gigs of ram and somehow they ended up sending me (and charging me for) over $6000.00 worth of stuff including a G4 powerbook. So now, in addition to having to send back all this stuff I never ordered in the first place, along with clearing up all the charges, I'm going to most likely have to send back this new G5 and wait several more weeks. Needless to say I'm not too impressed with Apple right now.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
May 25, 2004, 04:32 PM

The soft scratching sound is normal when doing some tasks. It is not that loud and shouldn't take over a room.

A loud fan noise is NOT normal if you cannot carry on a conversation in the room. Contact Apple about it.

"Hello, what have we here?

billybob128
Senior User
May 26, 2004, 01:48 PM

i have the little squeaking ffrom the psu fans untill i fully load the machiene to 100% cpu usage then it stops. is it worth sorting out it can get annoying?

with the headphones in the front and speakers to the rear:
i have my bose 3-2-1 - it has its own power supply.
when i plug my headphones into the front it mutes the bose momentarily but it comes back on after about 1second

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

davebl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 06:01 PM

Apple came by today and replaced the offending power supply.

Aside from the tech being a jerk/doofus everything went fine. Good to be able to hear myself think again.

Eugene Fields
May 29, 2004, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by davebl:
Apple came by today and replaced the offending power supply.

Aside from the tech being a jerk/doofus everything went fine. Good to be able to hear myself think again.
Yeah Apple replaced mine as well and its pure Heaven.. Not a Peep of noise. I love this G5 I've had it on 24/7 since Sept, and the Power Supply was the noise Issue. Now that seems to be Great its been a month and its as quiet as day 1! Oh by the way My Tech was Top Draw! Briiliant.

Very Happy Here
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

osxisfun
May 29, 2004, 01:26 PM

awesome.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
May 30, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Eugene Fields:
Yeah Apple replaced mine as well and its pure Heaven.. Not a Peep of noise. I love this G5 I've had it on 24/7 since Sept, and the Power Supply was the noise Issue. Now that seems to be Great its been a month and its as quiet as day 1! Oh by the way My Tech was Top Draw! Briiliant.

Very Happy Here
Is the soft churping gone as well?

"Hello, what have we here?

davebl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 05:16 PM

I had the chirping noise very faintly. It is 100% gone.

dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules