Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question about charging my iPod.....

Question about charging my iPod.....
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 04:16 PM

I noticed that I had my iPod on the dock charging all night and the battery shows as being full....I took it off the dock to put my iTrip on it and then placed it back on the dock and the battery status shows as charging again for about 3 hours or so....Is this normal?
Is it bad for the battery?

Thanks
Who reads this???

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 11:24 PM

Batteries and chargers can act strange like this sometimes. I've seen that happen before. It's not harmful to leave the iPod on the dock/charger constantly. But, as a general rule, you should not remove it and replace it on the dock unnecessarily. There are only so many charge cycles in a battery and the fewer times you start a charge cycle the better. At least that's my take on it, from what I've heard.

laseca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 11:53 PM

I have an iPod and don't have any problems yet. I always thought that discharging the battery before charging it was the best way to keep long battery life. However, in MacAddict's June '04 issue, they had a blurb about the iPods battery and recommended this. As quoted, "Keep it plugged into FireWire on your Mac whenever possible. The less often the battery fully discharges, the longer it will last. For more advice, see www.ipodbatteryfaq.com."

Now I keep it plugged in most of the time and rarely let it discharge completely. At this time, I still have no problems. I bought my 20GB iPod in April 2003 and practically use it every day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules