Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Average Joes (MacBook) Versus Global Gym (MacBook Pro)--is it all in the video card?

Average Joes (MacBook) Versus Global Gym (MacBook Pro)--is it all in the video card?
Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2006, 10:11 PM

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the 13.3" Black MacBook and 15.4" MacBook Pro. Besides the screen size, resolution, and video card, there doesn't seem to be much of a performance difference between the two.

Will the extra $500 I have to shell out for the larger screen and the ATi X1600 video card make me into an all-star? Or can the little MacBook hang with the big boys?

I'm not doing any video or audio editing but who knows what the future holds for me? I'm just started getting into digital photography and would like to get more into Photoshop or Aperture. Other than that, I'm pretty much an average Joe user (Word, Excel, Firefox, and maybe some statistical programs like STATA).

I would love to hear some insights from people that have gone through the same dilemma I am facing.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 10:22 PM

I think that it depends HOW you work, mostly. They are fairly comparable machines. (Obviously if you've got the money to burn, buy a Pro).

If it was me (it will be in a couple of years), I'd buy the MacBook and spend the $500 on a nice big external display. I like lots of screen real-estate when sitting at my desk (which is most of the time), and a smallish MacBook would work perfectly for me when travelling.

On the other hand if you're constantly needing to be portable, I think it's worth it to have the extra couple of inches to work with. Especially if it's the only display you'll use.
My $0.02
Cheers

Edit: I don't have any price comparison, but I would add that I think it's better to buy a decked out MacBook (big HD, 2 gigs RAM, etc) instead of spending the extra money on a bare-bones MacBook Pro just because it has Pro after it's name.

AHDuke99
Oct 18, 2006, 10:44 PM

well an external monitor would be nice, but keep in mind that would only weaken the already horrid GMA950 card in the macbook. i got a MB and it was just a too big a step down from my old 1.25ghz PB in terms of graphics performance to bare. if you never game or use a GPU for anything, then the macbook is just as fast as the MBP. however, if you have any wish to use a GPU, dont you dare get a MB. its worth the extra money to get that GPU.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 02:08 AM

For Aperture, it will make a pretty big difference.

For all other use you mention, the difference is negligible or non-existent - apart from the bigger, auto-dimming monitor and the backlit keyboard.

Note also that if you're going to be doing serious graphics editing, you want a MATTE screen for color accuracy and viewing angle. The glossies are more fun, but the colors are pushed and the contrast slightly exaggerated (which is why they're more fun).

That means serious editing is done on an external monitor on the MacBook.

If you need accuracy on the road, get the Pro, as you don't have the matte screen option on the MacBook.

mark34
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 03:34 PM

See all things being equal, I would pay more for the 13.3" screen than the 15.4". As many have said, the real driver comes down to the programs you use and the form factor you prefer. I find the Macbook to be a sleeker, more up to date, and useful PORTABLE form factor. If you use programs such as Aperture or want to play video card challenging games then the MBP is of course your choice.

Give me 13.3" MacBook form factor MBP!

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2006, 05:26 PM

The macbook at 1 point was wining the fight-his jabs where unstopable, the macbook pro could not hang with the lil'tiger he was smaller but had new improvements the current champ did not have. So after 9 rounds they where both exchanging hits-the macbook was good at alot of things that the macbook pro was capable of doing but one uppercut with the special x1600 tomahawk special punch turned the lights off the macbook.

and the macbook pro went home with the W.

i was going back and forth debating which one was better-until i used the macbook and the pro-the screen resolution on the macbook killed it for me too small-i got me the 15" pro and its still portable and i think it looks 1000000x better then the macbook.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 05:44 PM

macbook
pros

easy to change hard drive
better batt life
magnetic latch
smaller wallmount
costs less

--------------------

macbook pro
pros

larger screen
larger screen resolution
choice of matte or glossy screen
better keyboard (subjective)
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better gpu
scratch resistant and no dirty color issues
express slot
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Cottonsworth  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
The macbook at 1 point was wining the fight-his jabs where unstopable, the macbook pro could not hang with the lil'tiger he was smaller but had new improvements the current champ did not have. So after 9 rounds they where both exchanging hits-the macbook was good at alot of things that the macbook pro was capable of doing but one uppercut with the special x1600 tomahawk special punch turned the lights off the macbook.

and the macbook pro went home with the W.

i was going back and forth debating which one was better-until i used the macbook and the pro-the screen resolution on the macbook killed it for me too small-i got me the 15" pro and its still portable and i think it looks 1000000x better then the macbook.
The X1600 seems to be the determining factor. I'm not sure how I'll feel between the 13.3 or 15.4 screens since I am coming from a mammonth 17"er. But things have changed for me lately and I find myself more at home and running things off my 23" Apple HD LCD (the older plastic one), so screen size isn't that big of a deal for me (at least I don't think it will be). If those lil' MacBooks had a better video card option, it would be a no brainer but then again, if that were an option, I'm sure Apple would sell a lot less MacBook Pros. I have a Black MacBook on the way to me right now and I just picked up 2gigs of Mushkin ram. If I find things too unbearable I'll just sell the Black MacBook and upgrade then.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 19, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
macbook
pros

easy to change hard drive
better batt life
magnetic latch
smaller wallmount
costs less

--------------------

macbook pro
pros

larger screen
larger screen resolution
choice of matte or glossy screen
better keyboard (subjective)
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better gpu
scratch resistant and no dirty color issues
express slot
I concur on the MBP having a better keyboard; the MacBook's keyboard is better than the iBook's but not by much, while the MBP's feels better and more solid. I also think that a choice of glossy or matte screen is important; there must be tons of MacBooks that frustrate their users because of the way they glare in less-than-perfect lighting conditions.

I thought at first that you'd resorted to haiku here-it almost works on the pros for the MacBook.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 10:58 PM

Cottonsworth: Congrats on getting the black MB! Please report back once you get the RAM installed and get up to speed.

There are a lot of us sitting on the fence, waiting to make that same decision!

Cottonsworth  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Cottonsworth: Congrats on getting the black MB! Please report back once you get the RAM installed and get up to speed.

There are a lot of us sitting on the fence, waiting to make that same decision!
Thanks amazing. I'll keep the board posted. It will be interesting to see how well the GMA holds up in the MacBook while I run my 23" Apple LCD.

The only thing that sucks is that I read that the new MacBooks are going to be out first week of November (and it does seem very reliable this time). I don't really care so much about the Core Duo 2 but I would rather get the new one if it came with a much better video card. I'll see what happens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules