Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Changing monitor resolutions

Changing monitor resolutions
blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2001, 04:34 PM

Hey all, I just brought my computer home for the holidays with me, but due to the size of my 19 inch monitor I had to leave it in rez. I wanted to plug my dad's 17 inch into my computer so I could set up file sharing and access all my files on my computer from my mom's iMac, and just leave my comp running without a monitor, but when I tried the 17 incher just stayed blank (power on but black screen). I figure this might be because my computer is still set to run at 1600x1200, which certainly isn't supported by this 4 year old Viewsonic. Is there any way I can change the rez on my computer to something any monitor could handle? I've tried resetting the PRAM but that did nothing. Any ideas? Or do I need to find a friend with a monitor that can do 1600 so I can set up the file sharing?

Thanks.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Pikachu_G4e�
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2001, 04:23 AM

Dear blizzard,

Regard to your question, you should be able to change the resolution for any monitor (almost) with this little Mac Utility that I recommend for you. SwitchRes a shareware utility from St�phane Madrau do the trick. You can find the appropriate information on http://www.madrau.com/html/About.html . Good Luck

Best regards from,
Tan Li Kang
Come join me at macgo.net for more Mac-related discussions! ;)

blizzard  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2001, 01:49 AM

Thanks for the advice, but it's not quite what I was looking for. The key is, I need to be able to change the resoultion without seeing anything, because I don't have a monitor. So, some keyboard combination, or some trick that resets the resolution at boot...something like that.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Tom_O
Dec 20, 2001, 04:33 AM

<font color = green>Blizzard</font> - Insert your OS CD and shut down. &nbsp; Then, start up while holding down the command, option, P and R keys until your Mac has chimed 3 times (I know, you already zapped the pram). &nbsp; &nbsp; After the third chime, hold down the C key to boot from your OS CD. &nbsp; Maybe you will see the desktop and then you can trash the "Display Preferences" file and the "Monitors Preferences" folder. &nbsp; You said--<font color = green>"Any ideas?"</font> &nbsp;

<font color = blue>Tom</font>

Forum Links
Forum Rules