Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife 08 - First Impressions

iLife 08 - First Impressions
dawho9
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 06:34 PM

Figure we might as well start this one thread for it all to go in.

I'm installing it right now, will let you know what I think.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 06:39 PM

Wow. Where did you get it?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 06:42 PM

I hope that Apple improved iPhoto's library integrity and speed (which is just ok in '06). All in all, the iLife apps are awesome in many aspects, and it looks like they were improved quite a bit.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Wow. Where did you get it?
Maybe an Apple store? Just guessing wildly.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 07:04 PM

Got my copies of iWork and iLife at the Apple store. Pretty good so far - nothing that revolutionary, numbers looks really cool - sort of familiar if you've used Pages for mini-spreadsheets.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 07:05 PM

iPhoto feels faster because of the 'events' method of organizing photos - I'm suddenly dealing with 500 folders, not 6000.
Actually, even in photo view, it feels significantly snappier.
( Last edited by peeb; Aug 7, 2007 at 07:24 PM. )

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 07:06 PM

Yep, got it at Apple Store Ridgedale. So I'm in iPhoto right now and here is what I can tell you right now.

- When you first launch it, it does an upgrade of the existing iPhoto library. No shock there.
- Events. OK, so this is where I think its a little strange. After you do an install, every import of photos (roll - or whatever they called it before) is created as an event. So I have thousands of events right out of the box. Each event (roll) is named Untitled Event with a date.

Basically, rolls are now events. What is cool is the merge and split features!

More as I move on.

dw9
( Last edited by dawho9; Aug 7, 2007 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Fixing grammar)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 07:16 PM

Actually, I don't think all rolls are events - you can tell it what an event is, and if the rolls are taken on the same day, it assumes they are the same 'event'. You most likely don't have many rolls that are taken on the same day.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 07:23 PM

iWeb doesn't look like it got the work-over I had hoped for - I still can't figure out how to do alt-text.

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Actually, I don't think all rolls are events - you can tell it what an event is, and if the rolls are taken on the same day, it assumes they are the same 'event'. You most likely don't have many rolls that are taken on the same day.
Yeah, kinda. As best as I can tell, rolls don't exist anymore? Just imported off my camera from a visit to the zoo with the kids and you have the option to name the event on the import. Now we only had zoo pictures on the camera, but I didn't see an option to split the roll into separate events during the import. However, there is an option to Autosplit events after importing.

dw9

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 07:26 PM

Go to prefs, and there is an event tab - you can define it there. You should still have rolls in photos view (switch between photos and events in the top left). Rolls still work the way they used to for those who want the old-school approach.

tiffer17
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2007, 07:32 PM

I don't have it yet, and therefore I haven't used it yet, but judging by the pictures on Apple's site, iPhoto now has the same iTunes grey/purple scrollbars. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come in Leopard. However, all of the other updated iLife or iWork apps have the same old fuzzy aqua scrollbars, so maybe not.

Why oh why is consistency such a hard concept for Apple?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by tiffer17 View Post
I don't have it yet, and therefore I haven't used it yet, but judging by the pictures on Apple's site, iPhoto now has the same iTunes grey/purple scrollbars. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come in Leopard. However, all of the other updated iLife or iWork apps have the same old fuzzy aqua scrollbars, so maybe not.

Why oh why is consistency such a hard concept for Apple?
That's a good question. I have a feeling they will change the UI a bit when Leopard comes out and make it a free update...

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 07:47 PM

Can you please say whether iLife comes with a trial disk of iWork, like the '06 version did?

Thanks
/ic

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 07:50 PM

One bug I've found is that double clicking on the title bar does not auto minimize.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 07:58 PM

Does iPhoto allow you to pick an choose which photos you want to import from a digital camera? I've been requesting this feature since version 2. More importantly, does it remember the photos stored on camera that have already been imported? I have a bunch of pictures on my iPhone that were already imported into iPhoto. Yet everytime I plug in my iPhone, iPhoto asks me if I want to import the exact same pictures.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Does iPhoto allow you to pick an choose which photos you want to import from a digital camera? I've been requesting this feature since version 2. More importantly, does it remember the photos stored on camera that have already been imported? I have a bunch of pictures on my iPhone that were already imported into iPhoto. Yet everytime I plug in my iPhone, iPhoto asks me if I want to import the exact same pictures.
Yes - looks like this is fixed.

stassi7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 08:19 PM

"One bug I've found is that double clicking on the title bar does not auto minimize."

I got that also, go to your System Preferences/Appearance and toggle the "Minimize when double-clicking..." preference. It should work from that point on.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 08:25 PM

I've been using rolls like events for ages. It's easy to split and combine pictures into rolls. Will iPhoto 08 split up my rolls into events by the day were shot? Do I have to re-organize all my pictures, or is there a way to convert rolls directly into events?
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 08:28 PM

Hm.... I was hoping for remote updates through iWeb... much like how it does auto-update to your .Mac website, but for any other site you manage on any other domain... Set up the log-in and passwords and hit publish and it updates you .Mac site to .Mac and your 'Outside' site to your outside servers.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
I've been using rolls like events for ages. It's easy to split and combine pictures into rolls. Will iPhoto 08 split up my rolls into events by the day were shot? Do I have to re-organize all my pictures, or is there a way to convert rolls directly into events?
OK, let's get this straight.
Rolls work the way they did. 'Photo mode' is the same as iPhoto 06.
You can also switch (default) to 'Event mode'. This creates events that are an alternative way to group the photos. You don't have to reorganize the photos, and by default iPhoto creates a new event out of all of the photos taken on a certain day.

Juneappal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 09:14 PM

Can iPhoto deal with CR2 files nicely yet?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by stassi7 View Post
"One bug I've found is that double clicking on the title bar does not auto minimize."

I got that also, go to your System Preferences/Appearance and toggle the "Minimize when double-clicking..." preference. It should work from that point on.
Thanks, but that's set, and it works for other apps - this looks like an iPhoto specific issue.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 09:20 PM

Oops - scratch that - it fixed it. Thanks!

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 10:14 PM

OK, let's get this straight.
Rolls work the way they did. 'Photo mode' is the same as iPhoto 06.
You can also switch (default) to 'Event mode'. This creates events that are an alternative way to group the photos. You don't have to reorganize the photos, and by default iPhoto creates a new event out of all of the photos taken on a certain day.
Peeb,

Just a couple of questions in regards to this. To me it just feels like they renamed rolls to events. And added a new view. Don't get me wrong, I love the changes.

Q. Can a picture be associated to no events? Not that I can see. Although you can hide a photo, which is nice.
Q. When I merge two events in "event mode", the "rolls" are merged in the Photo Mode. Same experience for you?

As the poster mentioned before, you could have easily done this process with the rolls that existed before. Its just significantly easier to merge and split than it was before. Wouldn't you say that is one of the big differences? (Other than the massively way wicked Events Mode view, which I love.)

dw9

p.s. Anyone gotten Web Gallery to work yet? I always get an error message. (Scratch that - although error message appeared at first, they worked and I see them in the nav list on the left now.)
( Last edited by dawho9; Aug 7, 2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Answered my question)

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 10:32 PM

I just finished watching the Keynote. I was really impressed. I think iMovie has convinced me to buy a new laptop.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 10:33 PM

Does iPhoto 7 work with Homepage again directly? Or only iWeb?
( Last edited by rickey939; Aug 7, 2007 at 10:46 PM. )

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by dawho9 View Post
Peeb,

Just a couple of questions in regards to this. To me it just feels like they renamed rolls to events. And added a new view. Don't get me wrong, I love the changes.

Q. Can a picture be associated to no events? Not that I can see. Although you can hide a photo, which is nice.
Q. When I merge two events in "event mode", the "rolls" are merged in the Photo Mode. Same experience for you?

As the poster mentioned before, you could have easily done this process with the rolls that existed before. Its just significantly easier to merge and split than it was before. Wouldn't you say that is one of the big differences? (Other than the massively way wicked Events Mode view, which I love.)

dw9
I think you're right - if you merge things in events, the rolls become merged. The way to preserve your rolls is to not use events... A picture can't be associated with no events, any more than it can't not belong to a roll.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 10:40 PM

I plugged in my iPhone and iPhoto opened, like it always does, to import photos.
It went to the import screen and where it used to say "x items to import" it now, very quickly, loaded thumbnails of all the images on my iPhone.
There are options to hide already imported photos and then import only selected photos.

Very cool.

I like the new iPhoto a lot. If you move your mouse horizontally over an event thumbnail it shows you all photos inside the event.

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I plugged in my iPhone and iPhoto opened, like it always does, to import photos.
It went to the import screen and where it used to say "x items to import" it now, very quickly, loaded thumbnails of all the images on my iPhone.
There are options to hide already imported photos and then import only selected photos.

Very cool.

I like the new iPhoto a lot. If you move your mouse horizontally over an event thumbnail it shows you all photos inside the event.
Wait you publish an event to .mac. The new web based tools are awesome! Like nothing I have seen on the web and I'm in the web development business. Its Web 2.0 to the max.

Here is an example:

http://gallery.mac.com/bryntesons/

dw9

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 10:48 PM

Wow, the Web Gallery stuff is damn cool!

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 11:42 PM

Holy crap! There's already an iPhoto 7.0.1 update.

Apple - Support - Downloads - iPhoto 7.0.1

nate_02
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 12:09 AM

has anyone had any problems exporting in the new iPhoto? When I select my pictures or album, and I go to File > Export, nothing happens. I tried restarting, and installing the new update, but I can't get it to work at all.
-nate

sts24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 01:09 AM

How are people liking the new iMovie? How much of that has changed?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 01:33 AM

Here's another gallery, I think a "demo" one made by Apple, full of attractive people and professional photography:
http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2007, 01:46 AM

I'm happy to see Apple is sticking to its anti-Flash MO.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Magicite
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2007, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by fire3500 View Post
Can you please say whether iLife comes with a trial disk of iWork, like the '06 version did?

Thanks
/ic
Mine did.
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 04:04 AM

Holy ****. When is Aperture getting these web galleries? I'd hate to switch BACK to the consumer software

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 05:16 AM

I love being able to 'scrub' the event icons and see the photos in them. Really nice.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by dawho9 View Post
OK, first really annoying thing.
I just lost a lot of information this way - I had a long vacation, with a lot of rolls, one for each geographic location I visited. I pulled them into an event (for the vacation) and now the names of the places are lost, and all the photos are in one roll. That sucks.

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 06:33 AM

OK, first really annoying thing.
I just lost a lot of information this way - I had a long vacation, with a lot of rolls, one for each geographic location I visited. I pulled them into an event (for the vacation) and now the names of the places are lost, and all the photos are in one roll. That sucks.
Yep, that is what I saw right away too. For me it happened before I realized that rolls had basically become events. I was thinking in my mind that events were separate from rolls and deleted a few events. Of course I checked right away and noticed the pictures were gone. Good thing they were only in the trash and I could easily restore.

You can undo a merge but you have to undo it right away.

dw9

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by sts24 View Post
How are people liking the new iMovie? How much of that has changed?
I have only played with it for about 10 minutes, but wow does it look (and in some cases feel) different. When I first launched it all I said was "wow" and then shut it down. :-)

dw9

Macrat
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2007, 08:53 AM

For iWeb, has the exceptionally large and slow loading published website images been fixed? Or is there at least an image quality preference now?

steamy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 09:00 AM

for anyone using ilife I have 1 question:
- is the 100 bucks charge for 10GB online storage included in the software price?

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by steamy View Post
for anyone using ilife I have 1 question:
- is the 100 bucks charge for 10GB online storage included in the software price?
I do not have it, but no, the .Mac charge for 10GB of online storage is not included in the software price. That is a separate, $99 purchase.

steamy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 10:22 AM

thanks for that...
I pay about half of that for 84GB transfer and 4 GB allocated to a website.
I wonder if 10GB is actual storage that you can use for keeping databases, movies, pics and websites or just the transfer?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2007, 10:33 AM

I don't believe .Mac allows you to run database software.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 10:36 AM

Well, I'm not (entirely) above stealing the Web Gallery javascripts to stick into my own site.
Or is anyone aware of a remotely similarly spiffy open-source gallery? I see that Apple is using open source components like scriptaculous.

mthomes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 10:58 AM

I was wondering... For those who are using it already. Did they add a backup system the the program? I would love for iPhoto to have a system like iTunes for backing up my photos. I understand that it could be an obsolete feature once time machine hits, but it would still be nice for backing up photos the iTunes way. I don't want to keep doing this the old fashioned way. I would be more prone to do backups if I had a simple way.

It definitely would be nice for having a hard in a safe place. My father backs up all his digital photos and stores them in a fire safe box. It would be so sad to also loose all your photos/memories in a fire on top of everything else you already lost.

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Well, I'm not (entirely) above stealing the Web Gallery javascripts to stick into my own site.
Or is anyone aware of a remotely similarly spiffy open-source gallery? I see that Apple is using open source components like scriptaculous.
I started looking into this but I think there is a lot more than just some standard JS running this stuff. A lot more advanced than I have seen in a while. But I am also looking at something like this for a gallery control I wrote in ASP.NET that I have been porting over to AJAX for a while. This is pretty cool stuff.

dw9

Forum Links
Forum Rules