Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife 08 - First Impressions

iLife 08 - First Impressions (Page 3)
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 07:29 PM

Apple has made iMovie 6 HD available for download. No need to ebay.

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 07:30 PM

Nice! But can someone answer if I could install iMovie 6 on top of iMovie '08 with no problem?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Nice! But can someone answer if I could install iMovie 6 on top of iMovie '08 with no problem?
Yes. When you install iLife 08, Apple's installer automatically keeps iMovie 06 on your hard drive too. They can co-exist.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2007, 07:36 PM

That would be the whole point of Apple letting it be available for download.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2007, 07:41 PM

--edit--
( Last edited by AKcrab; Aug 12, 2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Beaten by Brussel)

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 07:51 PM

OK, just to verify. If I am to buy a new iMac with iLife '08, I CAN install iMovie '06 (AFTER iMovie '08) and be able to run it alongside iMovie '08, correct?

Rorzabal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2007, 07:55 PM

OK, just to verify. If I am to buy a new iMac with iLife '08, I CAN install iMovie '06 (AFTER iMovie '08) and be able to run it alongside iMovie '08, correct?
Yes.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2007, 07:55 PM

Yes!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 07:57 PM

Hey, no one said that explicitly and I wanted to be sure

It's definite that there is no timeline in iMovie 08? Who else thinks that's a dumb move? (And don't say downloading HD 6 is a solution....)

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2007, 08:38 PM

It's definite that there is no timeline in iMovie 08?
Definite.
Who else thinks that's a dumb move?
I've been playing with 08 all weekend. The timeline is certainly missed at times, but what I miss more are the video effects. No way to slow down or speed up a clip, which combined with the missing timeline makes syncing audio (like a music track or piece of the track) a real bitch.

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 09:22 PM

Looks like I have no need for iLife '08 then.... I only use the timeline.

Buck_W
Senior User
Aug 12, 2007, 09:44 PM

iWeb (blog page) question... has anyone noticed that images pasted inside the text of an entry do not show up on the summary page? Since this could be done with earlier versions of iWeb, does anybody know whether this is an iWeb 2.0 bug or "feature"?

Also, none of the text formatting (like bold, italics, etc.) shows up on the summary page either.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

DogGone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor; iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster; iDVD requires a 733MHz or faster processor.
• 512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended
• Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
• 3GB of available disk space
• DVD drive for installation
• QuickTime 7.2 or later
Am I reading this right? The new iMovie can only be run on a Intel or G5 processor? Are Macs with G4s excluded?

If so that is a complete downer

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 09:46 PM

Yes, you read right. Another strike against iMovie. It seems to me that iLife and iMac updates pretty much sucked for most people.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 10:23 PM

It's not that much of a downer, since it seems that iMovie 08 sucks.

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 10:25 PM

iMovie '08 is the only one that has really been changed (aside from a clever way of disguising albums in iPhoto known as "Events.")

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2007, 06:52 AM

Most. Pointless. Update... Ever.

Apple has pretty much jumped the shark I think... for a sustained period we've seen innovation and real advances through the suite of consumer oriented iApps.

It was for the design of the iMac G3 and iMovie that I returned to the Macintosh platform in 2001, the combination of simplicity in the hardware design and the capability of iMovie that motivated me to ditch Windows. Being brutally honest, OS9 kind of sucked and the transition to a decent version of OS X took a long time... I've been there at each revision and seen fewer and fewer things suck.

I have installed and used all the iApps and mostly they've delivered a good experience (not counting iCal, iSync, iWeb and the first few revisions of iPhoto) and generally added very usable functionality and better performance with each release.

iLife 08 for me adds neither new compelling features (the Magic Garageband is cringeworthy) and after the "incredible" experience of paying for the suite you get the opportunity to pay again to complete the "insanely great" functionality... with the wholly underwhelming .Mac service. "Boom", I suppose

So with the addition of pointless bloat, the absence of worthy functionality and the creeping lock-in to proprietary standards across the Apple software portfolio and the OS generally... I dunno, my enthusiasm for Leopard is kind of dented. I mean... I watched the keynote and all... I've read the web site... but there's nothing grabbing me. This, plus the fact that my MacBook is a piece of badly made crap in comparison with former PowerBooks and iBooks (yes, it's fast... but it's not durable at all) is leaving me feeling a bit cold towards Apple.

I've dandled with Ubuntu this year and it's not quite for me... XP and Vista don't push any buttons... so I'm not jumping ship just yet, but I'm starting to grow a bit sceptical of the actual need to participate in the OS update cycle.

iLife 08 for me has been a hollow experience really, I'm not impressed at all and it's actually damaged my anticipation of Leopard.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 13, 2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by fire3500 View Post

Apple has pretty much jumped the shark I think... for a sustained period we've seen innovation and real advances through the suite of consumer oriented iApps.

It was for the design of the iMac G3 and iMovie that I returned to the Macintosh platform in 2001, the combination of simplicity in the hardware design and the capability of iMovie that motivated me to ditch Windows. Being brutally honest, OS9 kind of sucked and the transition to a decent version of OS X took a long time... I've been there at each revision and seen fewer and fewer things suck.

I have installed and used all the iApps and mostly they've delivered a good experience (not counting iCal, iSync, iWeb and the first few revisions of iPhoto) and generally added very usable functionality and better performance with each release.

iLife 08 for me adds neither new compelling features (the Magic Garageband is cringeworthy) and after the "incredible" experience of paying for the suite you get the opportunity to pay again to complete the "insanely great" functionality... with the wholly underwhelming .Mac service. "Boom", I suppose

So with the addition of pointless bloat, the absence of worthy functionality and the creeping lock-in to proprietary standards across the Apple software portfolio and the OS generally... I dunno, my enthusiasm for Leopard is kind of dented. I mean... I watched the keynote and all... I've read the web site... but there's nothing grabbing me. This, plus the fact that my MacBook is a piece of badly made crap in comparison with former PowerBooks and iBooks (yes, it's fast... but it's not durable at all) is leaving me feeling a bit cold towards Apple.

I've dandled with Ubuntu this year and it's not quite for me... XP and Vista don't push any buttons... so I'm not jumping ship just yet, but I'm starting to grow a bit sceptical of the actual need to participate in the OS update cycle.

iLife 08 for me has been a hollow experience really, I'm not impressed at all and it's actually damaged my anticipation of Leopard.
ok.

Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
ok.
Most. Pointless. Post... Ever.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 11:08 AM

We can agree to disagree on this one.

If you been using OS-X since the beginning, then you remember how slow and pokey it has been. We've been promised that OS-X was less resource intensive then Windows, and we've also been promised that all these 'core' additions would add up to much faster systems.

iLife '08 is brings all those promises to fruition. iPhoto and iMovie both leap over their predecessors in speed. I think people are confusing bloat with more features. Bloat implies useless features that unnecessarily hamper performance (ie MS word). In iPhoto, Apple has added more features (which in IMHO are significant) and improved performance.

iMovie has taken a turn towards the novice. The fact that they've kept iMovie HD on our hard drives says as much. If you are slowing down video, synchronizing sound tracks, balancing sound levels, fading in multiple sound tracks then you are not a novice. I will use iMovie HD for more serious projects but I see a place for the new iMovie for quick and dirty films. I admire what they've done with the new iMovie, for it's speed and GUI.

Let's not be mistaken, Apple is in the business of making money and when they release a prosumer version of iMovie with the same concepts and speed of this version, I'll be the 1st to buy it.

After using iLife '08 I'm more excited about the prospects of Leopard.

To each their own
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 11:39 AM

I agree with that, but is it that hard for them to include a "timeline" setting in the new iMovie? To me, having an old version available is not an acceptable "fix." Just as with the old iMovies, the timeline setting need not be used, but it could easily be used if needed.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 11:59 AM

I agree with that, but is it that hard for them to include a "timeline" setting in the new iMovie? To me, having an old version available is not an acceptable "fix." Just as with the old iMovies, the timeline setting need not be used, but it could easily be used if needed.
I'm not a programmer so I couldn't tell you. This iMovie seems like it was a complete rewrite from the ground up. While I don't think adding a timeline would be hard, it would be useless unless you could do something with it. I can imagine that adding all the other stuff like adjusting/customizing sound, slowing/speeding up video could be. Also I don't think that keeping iMovie HD around is a "fix", it's an admission that the those features are no longer part of iMovie. It's also preparing us that to get those features we're going to have to pay.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 12:38 PM

...or wait a bit longer until they can re-integrate them into the new iMovie paradigm. I'm guessing that this new iMovie was a big reason for the holdup of iLife. The idea probably sprang to life late last year and they decided to run with it. It is, after all, much much easier to use for basic entry-level video editing. They recognize that it is still missing some features so they made HD a free download. I bet in 3-6 months you can expect a .5 upgrade that will include many of the missing features.

Personally, I like it, but then I found the old iMovie far too convoluted to learn and I never really bothered with much beyond the basics. The new version is perfect for me and many people like me--those who want to be able to make simple home movies to share with friends and family. It's much quicker to make a simple movie using the new version than with HD. I don't get all the fancy effects, but I never used them anyway.

I know people always like a new version of an app, but are there specific upgrades people wanted to HD to improve it or is it just that it didn't get a shiny new update?

kman

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2007, 12:45 PM

Clearly the two are aimed at different groups. The new one is for complete noobs, who can now create a movie without any thought. iMovie HD is for people who are not noobs, but don't want to purchase final cut.

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
We can agree to disagree on this one.

If you been using OS-X since the beginning, then you remember how slow and pokey it has been. We've been promised that OS-X was less resource intensive then Windows, and we've also been promised that all these 'core' additions would add up to much faster systems.

iLife '08 is brings all those promises to fruition. iPhoto and iMovie both leap over their predecessors in speed. I think people are confusing bloat with more features. Bloat implies useless features that unnecessarily hamper performance (ie MS word). In iPhoto, Apple has added more features (which in IMHO are significant) and improved performance.

iMovie has taken a turn towards the novice. The fact that they've kept iMovie HD on our hard drives says as much. If you are slowing down video, synchronizing sound tracks, balancing sound levels, fading in multiple sound tracks then you are not a novice. I will use iMovie HD for more serious projects but I see a place for the new iMovie for quick and dirty films. I admire what they've done with the new iMovie, for it's speed and GUI.

Let's not be mistaken, Apple is in the business of making money and when they release a prosumer version of iMovie with the same concepts and speed of this version, I'll be the 1st to buy it.

After using iLife '08 I'm more excited about the prospects of Leopard.

To each their own
Well I'm heartened to hear that my malaise with Apple is not all-pervasive, so this is clearly a subjective feeling that the update was pointless. I'm keen to know if you're a .Mac subscriber and which features in iPhoto fired you up, as having bought the suite I'd love to know if I've overlooked some super-cool new development, if I can find the value in my purchase then I'll be a happier camper.

I thought pretty hard before posting about the feeling that I have with Apple right now, and I'm a realist... I know they're going to milk the installed base, that they're first and foremost a business with shareholders and commercial imperatives. I can't break the feeling though that Apple promise more than they deliver these days, but this also could be me blurring the line between what Apple announce and what the hype "extrapolates" from the announcements.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Here's another gallery, I think a "demo" one made by Apple, full of attractive people and professional photography:
http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker
The Pics don't skim for me. Do I need to be using Safari 3?

Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 01:26 PM

Yeah, it tells me I need a newer version of Safari, yet the only newer version is Safari 3. Should their non-beta new website be dependent on a beta piece of software? Methinks not.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2007, 01:40 PM

Heh, it skims for me in Safari beta or Firefox, but not Safari.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 02:34 PM

Well I'm heartened to hear that my malaise with Apple is not all-pervasive, so this is clearly a subjective feeling that the update was pointless. I'm keen to know if you're a .Mac subscriber and which features in iPhoto fired you up, as having bought the suite I'd love to know if I've overlooked some super-cool new development, if I can find the value in my purchase then I'll be a happier camper.

I thought pretty hard before posting about the feeling that I have with Apple right now, and I'm a realist... I know they're going to milk the installed base, that they're first and foremost a business with shareholders and commercial imperatives. I can't break the feeling though that Apple promise more than they deliver these days, but this also could be me blurring the line between what Apple announce and what the hype "extrapolates" from the announcements.
So what has me pumped about this release.

#1 feature is speed. iPhoto screams on the MBP, no delay, no lag, I can scan through images as fast as I can hit the arrow keys. That in itself is enough of an upgrade for me.

#2 feature is Events. I now feel like it's possible to find one picture out of some 7000. I label every picture with keywords and rate them, yet in the old version it could take me quite sometime to find a specific picture

#3 is web gallery. I do have .mac so the gallery was huge. I never liked the original galleries and iWeb created web pages that loaded too slowly

#4 iMovie. Like someone mentioned previously. I haven't made a complete movie in iMovie in years, yet with the new iMovie I put something together in 1/2 hour. This was also easily shared with friends and family

#5 iPhoto's improved books. I've recently started making books of our vacations. The new templates look pretty slick.

#6 Improved GUI. On both applications the GUI is slicker and easier and more intuitive to me.

#7 Did I mention speed?

Just like movies and books, it's a matter of expectations. I didn't expect much from this update and was pleasantly surprised. It seems you are expecting the world from this update and ended up being disappointed.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

mindwaves
Aug 13, 2007, 02:42 PM

I've only tried iPhoto and iWeb. Here are my impressions on both.

iPhoto is fast and neat. The events feature is pretty nice. However, it took me some time figuring out how to edit the photos as it is different in iPhoto '06. I like the books feature and will be making one soon. The Autoflow feature in the books thing is very nice. It somehow knows which photo should be positioned where. I used autoflow and then altered just a few images in a 38 page book. Pretty nice.

iWeb is nice, but a little basic I admit. I'm using the free 60 day version of .Mac and I like it thus far. Web galleries are nice, but it takes a while to load the webpage. I like the integration with the google maps thing.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 02:50 PM

Also I think iPhoto 6, iMovie HD, and Tiger are awesome. I would be very happy with them as is.

What impressed me about iPhoto, iMovie is that they made it faster, better, and improved the GUI. If they can do the same with Leopard I'm stoked.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2007, 03:54 PM

Can anyone comment on the quality of the video look that was orginally shot in full HD that iMoive can modify to conserve 3/4 of the HD space required of full HD. Apple is saying it is still stunning.

I'd like to hear what the end users think.

Thanks,

Dave

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 04:07 PM

Fwiw, you now use Garageband to add music to your movies. This actually gives you far more control over the sound than the old version of iMovie did as you can have more than two tracks.

Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Fwiw, you now use Garageband to add music to your movies. This actually gives you far more control over the sound than the old version of iMovie did as you can have more than two tracks.
Yes, but do you have to have both GarageBand and iMovie open, or is it all in iMovie? Because you could do soundtracks in GarageBand before.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post
Can anyone comment on the quality of the video look that was orginally shot in full HD that iMoive can modify to conserve 3/4 of the HD space required of full HD. Apple is saying it is still stunning.

I'd like to hear what the end users think.

Thanks,

Dave
It looks good, but here's my problem: The highest quality that iMovie can share is 960x540. I can understand if you want to save space why you'd want that size, or if you want to put it on the internet. HD video is huge and this is a lot smaller. But what if you want it that big? There's no option to output 720p (or higher) HD from iMovie. I got a friggin HD camcorder so I could have HD movies, not so I could downsample it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2007, 05:50 PM

Doesn't iMovie HD support 1080i or 720p?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2007, 06:05 PM

iMovie will output higher res than that.

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Aug 14, 2007, 12:47 PM

OK, so I've been playing with iMovie 08 for a while now and I have to say I don't think its as bad as everyone points out. I have been fine using the project window. I can do everything I did before in iMovie except for one thing that was in the timeline for me and that is control the audio level of each track.

I know in the new one I can control audio levels but its for the entire clip. In the past I might have raised and lowered the audio multiple times within a clip. I suppose something like that might be possible still but I would need to split the clip many times over.

There are other really cool things I like in iMovie 08. The ability to "skim" over the video and find the exact spot I want is so much easier now than it was before. I also like how they deal with the clips better now than they did in the old version. Its much easier to grab one clip form one movie and use it in another.

I thought with all of the iMovie hating there should be some positive words.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 12:49 PM

What you just described is a good looking Windows Movie Maker with skimming.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Doesn't iMovie HD support 1080i or 720p?
Yes it does.

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Aug 14, 2007, 01:08 PM

What you just described is a good looking Windows Movie Maker with skimming.
Never used WMM so unfortunately I cannot give you a good read on that aspect of it.

Back to making my movie.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2007, 07:48 AM

Garageband crashes on startup.

Like the events and skimming in iPhoto, otherwise too soon to give a solid response.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by dawho9 View Post
OK, so I've been playing with iMovie 08 for a while now and I have to say I don't think its as bad as everyone points out. I have been fine using the project window. I can do everything I did before in iMovie except for one thing that was in the timeline for me and that is control the audio level of each track.

I know in the new one I can control audio levels but its for the entire clip. In the past I might have raised and lowered the audio multiple times within a clip. I suppose something like that might be possible still but I would need to split the clip many times over.

There are other really cool things I like in iMovie 08. The ability to "skim" over the video and find the exact spot I want is so much easier now than it was before. I also like how they deal with the clips better now than they did in the old version. Its much easier to grab one clip form one movie and use it in another.

I thought with all of the iMovie hating there should be some positive words.

dw9
There is actually a quite excellent timeline editor for audio, as a colleague pointed out to me yesterday, and it's quite superior to anything iMovie 06 had to offer:

While you *can* align music fairly precisely just by dragging and scrubbing it over the movie, instead, go to:

"Share" menu --> "Media Browser"

Your iMovie project film will now show up in GarageBand's media browser when you "Show Filmtrack" from the "Track" menu. Drag it in and compose/align/mix/automate it all to hell.

Save GarageBand song with media browser preview, and you can access it right within iMovie and drag it into the clip window as a soundtrack.

That has mostly reconciled me with the new iMovie.

mindwaves
Aug 24, 2007, 02:23 AM

I like iMovie '08 despite it not letting me upload .mov clips. That makes it even more weird because it also senses .mov clips from previously....

Anyways, I like the interface. I only found the placement of the two play buttons to be very confusing. Other than that, it is very easy to make a movie. I was always lost in iMovie '06. I am a complete movie maker novice and '06 was too hard for me, but '08 makes it easy. I can understand how some ppl will hate the total lost of control, but I am fine with that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules