Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > video input digital analoge

video input digital analoge
Stardust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2000, 08:54 AM

Is there somebody who knows if it's possible to pull in video of an analoge camcorder?
Or is it only possible to pull in digital video via firewire.
Ave got an Pismo400firewire 320Mb

veloboldie
Jul 26, 2000, 10:51 AM

There are two ways I see to import analog video from a camcorder, e.g. Sony's Video8 camera to your Mac computer, except Powerbook:

a) ATI's XCLAIM VR 128, or
b) XLR8 iVIEW 2.0

The first one allows you to import, edit and send out to a video player, TV, Quicktime. The price $169 to $229 depending who you buy it from.

The second one allows for exporting to Quicktime only. Price $99.

There is a website called www.moviemac.com that recently run articles on how to import video into your mac. Also MacToday.com had articles in previous issues on this topic. Personally, DV is the way to go, unfortunately not everyone has $1000 or more laying around to purchase a DV camcorder. The DV camcorder prices need to come down, before the DV appeal wins the average income consumer.

tjcrebs
Jul 26, 2000, 10:55 AM

For my old Hi-8mm analog-video tapes, I insert them into my Sony TRV-310 Digital-8mm camcorder. Then, I use Firewire to download these "analog" videos to iMovie (i.e., this process converts the old analog video to digital.) Therefore, my old analog videos becomes digital for editing in iMovie.

The above works well for me, as I know of no way to get video into my Pismo from my older analog camcorders.

Good Luck & Regards, T.

Petrie
Jul 26, 2000, 10:58 AM

Another two options:

Formac ProTV will allow you to get the video in via S-Video but you are still left with the mini plug for audio I/O. $99.00
www.powerr.com has a box with every plug in imaginable and transfers ll your analog via FireWire. $269.00

Hopw this helps,
Petrie
The bad new is I have MS. The good news is I don't mean Microsoft.

MacMedics_Josh
Jul 26, 2000, 11:19 AM

>www.powerr.com has a box with every plug in
>imaginable and transfers ll your analog via
>FireWire. $269.00

Whare did you find such a price on this thing??? at the web site you mention, the price is listed at $695.00!!!

Josh

Sjakelien
Jul 26, 2000, 11:32 AM

I came across a piece of software, that enables the Digital Video In of European-market DV Camera's. The nice side effect is, that it also allows you, to link an analogue camera through your DV with firewire to your mac. The software is PC-based, but it is a one-time trick.
This software works with the following Sony devices (quote from website)
"DCR-TR8000E
DCR-TR8100E
DCR-TR120E
DCR-TR125E
DCR-TR220E
DCR-TR320E
DCR-TR420E
DV, Analogue and s-video inputs can be enabled for recording
Manual White Balance menu is enabled for Camera
and a new menu item A/V to DV OUT is enabled.
This allows the camera to be used as an analogue to digital convertor, meaning capture by IEEE-1394 cards from non Digital players (VHS etc)."

Check out http://www.lynxdv.com/

Lanlord
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2000, 12:05 PM

Another option, one that I use, is to purchase a Sony DVMC-DA1 or DVMC-DA2. (I use the DA2 and have a G4 tower) This is a fantastic little device that allows you to hook up any analog video device (RCA and SVHS inputs and outputs) and connect it to your Mac via firewire. You can also export your digital video to any of the hooked up analog devices. You can even watch digital video on your TV with this box.The quality and ease of use are superb. If you get the DA2 it requires the use of Sony's LANC cable (included with most Sony devices asd well as the DA2 mentioned above) to control the analog device. I got my DA2 on EBay for a song. List price from Sony is $399.
Check it out at this link (they don't have a picture but it is very small), search Ebay for DVMC-DA1 or DVMC-DA2 as well.
Email me if you would like more details. http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...a2_specs.shtml

gtabbott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2000, 12:16 PM

Ah, PowerBooks don't have PCI slots, I'm afraid.

In addition to using a DV camera (probably a D8) to convert the analogue to digital video, or some other external converter, there are two other solutions.

There are a number of USB video capture devices out there.This is a less than optimal option, however, as the bandwidth for USB really just isn't enough to do a good job with video capture.

You can also get a PC card capture device. The best of these, I believe, is the iRez Capsure card. These run around $100. Check it out at www.irez.com. While you're there, you can have a look at the iRez USB capture device.

gtabbott

A Reader
Jul 26, 2000, 02:47 PM

Someone mentioned the ATI 128VR card. Does anyone know the video input capabilities of this card (framerate, size, quality)? When ATI first announced the product, I believe they stated VHS or broadcast quality (full-size, 30 frame/sec). But I recall hearing that when the card was released, it was much more limited than that. ATI's website and advertising just state video-in capability without any numbers. Anyone have the details?

Huck
Jul 26, 2000, 03:50 PM

Another thought would be to borrow a DV camcorder and use its analog input(s) to pass the audio/video signals into your PowerBook via FireWire.

Works just great with my Sony TRV8. (Hey that rhymes...)

Huck

mccabem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2000, 04:08 PM

www.powerrr.com lists the price for the Director's Cut device as:

NSTC: $289
PAL/NTSC: $399

Please see the below link if you have problems finding this info.
http://www.powerr.com/pcproducts.html#anchor262230

Now that the administrative crap is out of the way, has anyone used one of these? Sounds like PRECISELY what I've been looking for.

ATI 128VR card has WAY too many unresolved bu reports for me to justify dropping the dough.

Aurora FUSE is a great option, but at >$500 is out of my league. Same goes for the Sony Firewire->Analog box.

Anyone?
- Matt McCabe
- [email protected]

mccabem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2000, 05:32 PM

Heck with it. I just ordered one.

I just called Power R and they've sold out of their initial run of Director's Cut. A new run will be in about mid-August.

Their rep told me that they're selling them for the Macworld Expo price of $269 through Friday.

They took all my info for the order and said they won't bill until the product ships. 8/16 is the tentative date I was given.

FYI, I plan to use this on my Rev. 1 B&W G3/400 to get VHS and (hopefully) some DVD content into Quicktime Pro. I'll post into the appropriate forum (ie. not here) when it arrives and I have a chance to run it through the paces.

--
[email protected]
- Matt McCabe
- [email protected]

amcrory
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2000, 05:40 PM

The Canon ZR-10 camcorder ($900) also lets you import analog video from a VCR or analog camcorder. It's a great DVcam, although I'm not thrilled with the still photo feature...

-a

Brendan
Jul 26, 2000, 05:47 PM

I got an Irez Capsure card for $89. This goes in the PC card slot of my G3/400 Firewire Powerbook. The speed of the PC slot is much higher than through USB and provides 29.97 frames per second from an analog video camera.

When you register the included software, it unlocks the "DV Stream" export option which is readable by iMovie.

This combination works very well.

anonymous coward
Jul 26, 2000, 05:59 PM

WARNING! SONY DMC-DA1 MAY ACCIDENTALLY RECOGNIZE YOUR VIDEO FOOTAGE AS COPY PROTECTED AND REFUSE TO CONVERT IT!

The problem with the Sony DMC-DA1 is that it refuses to convert what it recognizes as macrovision copy protected. Sometimes if you have video footage of poor quality, it will refuse to convert it to a digital signal. If you don't like sony protecting you from yourself, don't buy this product.

Does anyone know if the powerr device recognizes macrovision?

dalpert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2000, 10:54 PM

As product Manager for the iREZ Video Products line of CapSure products, I feel the need to reply with information about our products. We have a PC Card CapSure product that takes S-Video or Composite and captures it to your computer using the supplied Reel-Eyes software. Registration of your product gets a serial number that allows all features of the program including export to DV.

AND......

We just announced the CapSureUSB which will do the same but also has left and right audio in and a microphone. Since it is USB, it opens the market to even greater systems to use it for importing video to a PC or Mac. It oo, comes with Reel-Eyes.

BTW, Reel-Eyes is available free from our web site at irez.com.

If anyoine has any questions, please feel free to write me at [email protected]

Outside of a book, a dog
is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it is
very dark. Grouc

Forum Links
Forum Rules