Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo Warranty up in One Week. AppleCare?

Pismo Warranty up in One Week. AppleCare?
Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Sep 30, 2001, 08:42 AM

My Pismo is going to be 1 year-old in about a week and I was just solictied by Apple to get Apple Care.

I have had no problems with this machine, use it daily (mostly desktop use, occasional portability), no stick pixels, no keycaps popping off, no whiny hard disks, no failed USB or firewire, no problems...

Should I get Apple care? I expect to still have/use the machine in two years (unless Motorola really gets the speeds up making 500 MHz a dog), but I hate paying for warranties I'm not likely to use! I think AppleCare is $349 and I could use that money to save for a new iBook/PBG4.

Would someone care to voice their opinion? Should I get it or should I take my chances?
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 10:08 AM

I think you have almost no choice. AppleCare gives several years of protection when you're most likely to need it - after one year of wear and tear has set in. If your ribbon cable goes, or your hard drive kicks, the AppleCare will pay for itself in one shot. Plus, it's a great resale point. Three years peace of mind: priceless.

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2001, 02:27 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. My Pismo kicked in 1wks time. Although mine was admittedly a DOA, I bought the AppleCare for my ibook immediately for peace of mine.
It's just my humble opinion.

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2001, 02:27 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. My Pismo kicked in 1wks time. Although mine was admittedly a DOA, I bought the AppleCare for my ibook immediately for peace of mine.
It's just my humble opinion.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2001, 03:07 PM

Absolutely! The extra protection is worth it! I'm not big on extended warranties either, but on laptops I think they're worth it. If your screen goes to lunch and doesn't come back, or your hard drive hoses, it's more than paid for itself.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

scadboy
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 04:00 PM

My pismo celebrated its birthday a little over a month ago. F*ck 'applecare,' I'm painting it and putting in a new harddrive.

Hmmm.... lemon yellow or powder blue?

decisions, decisions....

ciao,

scadboy

<tmophoto>
Oct 8, 2001, 05:27 PM

FYI

lcd's are not covered under applecare.

thomas

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2001, 07:02 PM

I'd buy it. The Pismo's a great machine, and I still imagine it useful in a year or two.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 8, 2001, 07:30 PM

I always recommend AppleCare on laptops. Just one repair already pays for it.

tooki

Avenir
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2001, 01:01 AM

Definitely go for it. I worked for the past two years at an Apple Service Provider and I sold a bunch, and more than likely, you won't need it, but when you do... oh ho ho ho... you're gonna be so happy. Sure, it's almost $400, but when you consider how expensive the stuff on a PowerBook is, go for it... I just bought it on my Ti last month. Like tooki said, it'll pay for itself in one visit.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2001, 07:52 PM

I went for it. Two more years of portable bliss and Ti-envy.

And according to Andy, the phone guy, the screen is COVERED.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Fran441
Oct 11, 2001, 07:24 PM

The screen is always covered under AppleCare. Even on the G4, your Apple monitor is covered.
Its time for Apple to release a new PDA, but until it does, long live the Newton!

AppleInsider poster since 1998.
[email protected]

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2001, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Fran441:
<STRONG>The screen is always covered under AppleCare. Even on the G4, your Apple monitor is covered.</STRONG>

Damage to screen or laptop is not covered!
I recommend Safeware Insurance ...... for $60/$1000 a year it covers:

Accidental damage
Theft
Power Surges
Almost everything except normal mechanical breakdowns!

dmcknigh
Oct 11, 2001, 11:19 PM

I bought my Pismo last July and plan on buying AppleCare sometime next spring. IMO it's worth it. if the Mobo fries or your DVD-ROM dies (it happens a lot on Pismos it seems) you've paid for the cost of AppleCare. And FWIW the screen is covered unless you caused the damage by drop kicking it down the hall It will cover it if it just up and dies or you have a row of pixels die.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2001, 11:50 PM

quote by Fran441:
__________________________________________________ ____
The screen is always covered under AppleCare. Even on the G4, your Apple monitor is covered.
__________________________________________________ ____

The sceen NOT always covered under AppleCare. It depends on what's wrong with it. If you drop kick it through the goal posts of life, you're out of luck. Damage by abuse, dropping, spilling schtuff on it, overheating from leaving it in a hot car, etc., is NOT covered! AppleCare is an extended warranty program, which covers manufacturer defects. This means that if a row of pixels burns out, or the video controller quits controlling, you didn't cause it, so Apple agrees to provide a reasonable assurance that you won't have problems with how the unit was manufactured and the quality of the components it uses, for a specified time period. BTW, I've sold Macs for a living for seven years, so I'm reasonably sure about this.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules