Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Georg W. Bush jr

Georg W. Bush jr (Page 2)
tie
Professional Poster
May 23, 2001, 02:59 PM

If everybody would just start using OmniWeb (with its built-in spell-checker), then these forums would be so much nicer. It tells you how to spell Reagan or existence if you don't already know.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

finboy
May 23, 2001, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by typoon:

I think Bush is going to be one of the best Presidents we've had. He already is running rings around the Dems and they are in Shell shock and need to whine about things Bush is doing.
Yeah, baby! Go T.

Congrats to you folks for responding promptly to the ignorant leftists in this forum.

Keep in mind, too, that you may be defending a Yale grad to a bunch of middle-schoolers, so don't expect them to get it (the truth) the first time, necessarily.

As for graduating from a prestigious college due to one's father's influence, GWB most likely did it on his own. Just how much pull did the director of the CIA have in the 1970s? Probably not much. On the other hand, Gore's father probably had enough pull to get him into and out of all kinds of things.

I'm tired of this election bullsh*t. If I were GWB, I'd probably have GIVEN UP and let Gore have it, just so the sheep in this country could have what they deserve. But that doesn't promote the conservative agenda in the long run, does it?

------------------
Shop smart, shop S-Mart! You got that!!?!!

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
I don't think you're a dumbass... but you may be over educated and therefore snobbish.
You're calling me snobbish. What Gaul! I had a long drawn out summation on why I considered you an ass and so on and so forth..BUT I started to think, why? I'd be wasting my time writing it because undoubtedly you'd read it and reply with something short and sarcastic. So instead of a thorns, I'll over you an OLIVE BRANCH lol.. had to get that in there. Why don't you come to Florida, I buy you a beer and we go swimming on the most beautiful beaches in the states. I figure we'd atleast enjoy it before Shell starts drilling 30 miles off the coast.

What do you say? I'll buy the beer, and the beach will supply the women (for you my fiancee keeps a tight reign on me)
It's just my humble opinion.

tie
Professional Poster
May 23, 2001, 03:06 PM

BTW GW BUSH DID NOT STEAL THE ELECTION USA today did a re-re-re-re-re-recount of everything including under and over votes and they said that even with all that Bush would have picked up 1600 more votes. Even the Miami Herald did a re-re-re-re-recount also and they said Bush would of won. So unless you call that stelaing the election then yes he stole the election by rightfully winning.
Bush stole the election. He did everything he could to prevent people's votes from actually being counted when it could have made a difference. Sorry, it's just not possible to "rightfully win" an election when the votes weren't counted before deciding the winner. In a democracy, you should count people's votes. In Yugoslavia the Supreme Court declared Milosevic the winner of their last presidential election. The same thing -- the same democratic perversion -- happened in the United States, thanks to Mr Bush.

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by tie:
Um, so your point is that North Korea is going to spend tons of money trying to build a missile defense system to match ours? So much money that they won't have any left over for building nuclear missiles? That's an interesting scenario but it doesn't seem very likely to me; maybe you and Mr Cheney would disagree.
uhh..no. I never said Russia didn't have any money left over to build nuclear missiles. My point is that Russia spent so much money and were so focused on their military (mainly offence) becasue they were afraid that they would no longer pose a serious threat, thus neglecting the rest of the country and allowing their government to collaps. The current missle defence initive, just by existing, will prevent other nations from lobing their missles at us because it will ineffective. If it dosn't work well, then it's only a bluff, but still better than nothing. I never said anything about another country creating their own version of SDI.

Brandon

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 03:09 PM

"Conservative Agenda"??!! WTF is this supposed mean?

God fearing WHITE people going to Sunday Mass and being good and pure?

Or God fearing WHITE people destroying the remains of our planet in the name of all that is good and pure?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
Start a new thread on that for sure. I'd like to hear what you have to say. You going to grad school when you finish? I assume your working on a BA or BS now. (?)
Nothing much to say Scot. I have a bachelor's in Pre-Law UWF w/minor in Computer Technology, went to FSU for LAW degree. Decided law was way too political for me. Now, I'm back @ UWF getting certified to teach. It's amazing they actually want me to get another degree to teach. So, I'm getting a masters in Education.

Ultimately, I want to be a principle somewhere and coach HS basketball. On a side note.. I love the college game of basketball although it's being corrupted, the NBA HS is where it's purist and most beautiful.

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 03:14 PM

If everybody would just start using OmniWeb (with its built-in spell-checker), then these forums would be so much nicer. It tells you how to spell Reagan or existence if you don't already know.
If everybody would stop crying about miss-spelling words, and see that this is an informal forum, and people make their points, spelled right or not, then these forums would be so much nicer.

tie
Professional Poster
May 23, 2001, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by theUpsetter:
uhh..no.
Sorry, a misunderstanding then. An ineffective missile defense system might be well be better than nothing -- but it is certainly no better than the nuclear deterrent we have today. I still don't see how your example about Russia plays into this. Cheney has stated many times that the missile defense is aimed at rogue nations (Iraq and North Korea) and not at Russia or China. Do you think that the missile defense actually is aimed at Russia, and that Cheney is just being deceptive?

Spelling is important. I can't take seriously a president who doesn't know any grammar and it takes an effort to take seriously people who can't spell. Sorry, I was trying not to be offensive in my last post -- OmniWeb spell-checking really is quite cool.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 03:27 PM

Bush stole the election. He did everything he could to prevent people's votes from actually being counted when it could have made a difference. Sorry, it's just not possible to "rightfully win" an election when the votes weren't counted before deciding the winner. In a democracy, you should count people's votes. In Yugoslavia the Supreme Court declared Milosevic the winner of their last presidential election. The same thing -- the same democratic perversion -- happened in the United States, thanks to Mr Bush.
He did everything to prevent people from voting? Well Lets see, The Dems didn't want to military votes counted. Who didn't want people to vote? Let's see counting Chads that that were partially punched, Double punched chads. You call that not allowing people to vote? That is downright cheating. Even then Gore couldn't get the necessary votes. Dems are just sore that "There Guy" Lost. Face it Gore Lost. Bush is the President like it or not.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 03:37 PM

Sorry, a misunderstanding then. An ineffective missile defense system might be well be better than nothing -- but it is certainly no better than the nuclear deterrent we have today. I still don't see how your example about Russia plays into this. Cheney has stated many times that the missile defense is aimed at rogue nations (Iraq and North Korea) and not at Russia or China. Do you think that the missile defense actually is aimed at Russia, and that Cheney is just being deceptive?

Spelling is important. I can't take seriously a president who doesn't know any grammar and it takes an effort to take seriously people who can't spell. Sorry, I was trying not to be offensive in my last post -- OmniWeb spell-checking really is quite cool.
I think missle defence is important because with so many arms from the USSR up for sale, any nation or organization with enough cash could buy a missle and point it at the USA. A missle defence program would curb the sale of these arms, because cost and risk of such a weapon would not be practical for something that MIGHT not even make it to its intended target.

As far as spelling, I agree that it is important, and I am a huge proponent of Omniweb, and use its spell checking ablity on a regular basis. But since I'm posting this from work, where I have to use a windows 98 w/ IE 5.0 and dog slow internet connection, spell checking would take a long time. I've been a bad speller since first grade, just the way it is for me, but since this forum isn't that formal I don't worry too much about it. Sorry if I was a little reactionary.

Brandon

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
May 23, 2001, 03:41 PM

I agree with you typoon...

And lets not even talk about stealing the election... You Democrats all like to compare apples to oranges and inform the public just how great they are. The Democrats Love to have the power of government rather than use it as a tool for the people. You are so angry that you cant win an election the constitution says one is to be counted so you need to send in your people to "change parties" like guerilla warriors in the house just to get a majority. Since most dems know that running republican will get you elected, especally in this last election ...why not! then you can always switch parties later on while elected.

You should try running on a premis that the people will elect you upon. Fist try caring about people not power.

How come we won this election with a majority in the house and the senate!!?? and as far as comparing apples to oranges... how bout them apples..
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
being a law student (and 8th in you class as that) you should see this as a stupid comment, it has no basis what so ever, it is merely a regurigitation of the standard liberal complaints. looking around you might see that your comment has no basis and was stated blindly. Not everyone disagree with is a dumbass, hell even people i agree with are, but if you make blind comments with out any basis what so ever for them, i will cal you a dumbass.
You homosapien! I can see that anyone you don't want to agree on a political issue is a dumbass in your opinion. Allow me to give some substance to my stance. GWB won the election in a fashion which that relied on the ol' boys network.. Florida is brother's Governor.. Secretary of State is his campaign director. They both, but especially Katherine played a major role in the elections outcome. I feel as though th election was stolen period.

I give credance to my stance again, as I point out two boxes of ballots from a democratic counties where found in the woods the day after the election. They were never counted, and it's still not known how they got there.

I give credence to my opinion again that the election was stolen when there is a provision on the law for a revote to take place. I don't expect the entire state to revote only the counties inwhich there was a noticable number of ballots not counted because of error.

You don't have to understand nor respect my opinion, BUT you should acknowledge that this election doesn't sit right with half of America.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Quadzmodo:
You're calling me snobbish. What Gaul! I had a long drawn out summation on why I considered you an ass and so on and so forth..BUT I started to think, why? I'd be wasting my time writing it because undoubtedly you'd read it and reply with something short and sarcastic. So instead of a thorns, I'll over you an OLIVE BRANCH lol.. had to get that in there. Why don't you come to Florida, I buy you a beer and we go swimming on the most beautiful beaches in the states. I figure we'd atleast enjoy it before Shell starts drilling 30 miles off the coast.

What do you say? I'll buy the beer, and the beach will supply the women (for you my fiancee keeps a tight reign on me)
FIrst- Olive Branch. I'm in. Wholeheartedly. And thank you. Second. I did not make the fact that the "snobbish" remark was just a lighthearted sarcastic remark. I din't mean to sound caustic. I were trying to make a funny.
So. Florida. Beer and beach it is. No telling my wife about the women, though.
Same goes here: I can offer miles of beach, women (though they will be slightly less tanned and probably less scantily clad), frosty Sam Adams and plenty of 54 degree water! No oil platforms off the Cape, though.
(virtual handshake)

small sidenote- another irony: I actually made that first post to Nymisis... defending you, apparently!
------------------
"I am not really an actor. I'm merely dyspeptic."

[This message has been edited by maxelson (edited 05-23-2001).]

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

tie
Professional Poster
May 23, 2001, 03:55 PM

Hm, quote isn't working. Well, this is in response to theUpsetter.

It's true, I guess, that a semi-functional missile defense program might make it harder for countries to buy nuclear missiles to launch against the US. If the missile defense system works one in five times, they'd have to buy two missiles instead of just one.

But there are better ways of doing this. Like supporting disarmament treaties so Russia gets rid of some of its nukes in a safe way. Cheap and effective (and popular in the US and around the world). Or maintaining support for Russian scientists who aren't paid by their own government. Cheap and possibly effective, though that depends on the implementation.

In fact, almost anything is cheap compared to a missile defense system. Instead of snubbing North Korea like Bush has done, he could have made some nice gestures. I'm not saying, pay them protection money so they don't build nuclear weapons -- but South Korea wants to make friends with North Korea and we could have helped out. Very cheap and it helps real people (a nice policy for a change, when our sanctions so often seem to destroy the populace of a country without hurting the leadership).

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Quadzmodo:

FIrst- Olive Branch. I'm in. Wholeheartedly. And thank you. Second. I did not make the fact that the "snobbish" remark was just a lighthearted sarcastic remark. I din't mean to sound caustic. I were trying to make a funny.
So. Florida. Beer and beach it is. No telling my wife about the women, though.
Same goes here: I can offer miles of beach, women (though they will be slightly less tanned and probably less scantily clad), frosty Sam Adams and plenty of 54 degree water! No oil platforms off the Cape, though.
(virtual handshake)
small sidenote- another irony: I actually made that first post to Nymisis... defending you, apparently!
I initially thought so, but when I saw you and Guru getting into it, I had to jump in. So sorry for the unnecessary chatter. 54 degree weather, umh.. I pass.. WE have 80 degree waters right now and it's perfect a bit salty but perfect. Scanty isn't even the word

mr. natural
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 04:05 PM

Is this the George W. puppet show y'all talking about, cuz if it is I got a few things I was wondering about ... like who makes him move? I don't see the strings? Is this some computer generated thing like Toy Story? I really liked that picture. My daddy & me, we went to the drive-in and watched Sheriff Woody & Buzz and ... oh, sorry, I forgot what I was goin' to say... nevermind.

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 04:11 PM

But there are better ways of doing this. Like supporting disarmament treaties so Russia gets rid of some of its nukes in a safe way. Cheap and effective (and popular in the US and around the world). Or maintaining support for Russian scientists who aren't paid by their own government. Cheap and possibly effective, though that depends on the implementation.
But with the other alternatives we have to depend of the honesty of other countries, which is a problem, especially in Russia and N. Korea. I'm not saying that other alternatives can't or shouldn't be explored, but we do have to maintain a certian amount of total self-reliance. Besides, missle defence is a program that has been years in devolopment, and close to done, we might as well follow through.

As for North and South Korea, I think the plan is to prevent as much aid and money getting into N. Korea as possable and hope it leads to collaps of their government.

Brandon

[This message has been edited by theUpsetter (edited 05-23-2001).]

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2001, 04:47 PM

If you think a spiraling economy, $2.50/gallon gas ($3.00 by this summer), a "tax break" to benefit the wealthy, educational funding to private schools only, and no environmental concerns what-so-ever makes "the best president ever," you're smoking WAY too much crack (you know, just like your president.) Even some Republicans are switching over to Democrats or Independent parties because they're fed up with his crap. With a few exceptions in foreign politics, his entire presidency has been a complete joke.

The oil industry has 16 pre-approved locations for oil drilling which they haven't touched in 20 years! There are over a 100 oil refineries that were shut down after the 70s that they can just reopen. And he STILL wants to drill in Alaska and build NEW refineries? Is this some kind of joke?

Yes, his tax plan gives a higher percentage of money to the lower income and middle class families, but that's only because no other president had 1.6 TRILLION to spend on it. FIFTY PERCENT of the tax break money is going to the wealthiest ONE PERCENT of the US. That's bullsh*t! Nearly ALL of his education money is going to PRIVATE schools, NOT public education. Public servants aren't going to see a dime of that money.

Sure, this is all fine and dandy for people with money out their ears and getting funding from the oil industries, bur for other 5/8 of America it does precisely d*ck for us.

George Bush was never elected in the first place and he shouldn't be there now. He's a bumbling idiot who can only make things worse. For the gods' sake, he was such a moron during college his own fraternity wouldn't trust him with ANY job outside buying the keg. But since 49% of a America voted for him, I guess it goes to show how many people actually believe the word "gullible" was taken out of the dictionary.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 04:49 PM

Well, I'm not a Bush fan at all... for a number of reasons:

First, I come from a very democratic family and extended family. Never underestimate the roll of your family in someone's political identity.

Second, the space missile defense system has already cost us a seat our U.N. Human Rights seat, and violates the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty. http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world...ons010514.html

Also:

Bush is "pro-life" yet supports capital punishment. This is a hypocritical view.. regardless of your stance on abortion and the death penalty, this view logically contradicts itself.

He also proposed drilling for oil in Alaska... in National Wildlife Preserves if I'm not mistaken. so, doesn't this sorta defeat the purpose of having a wildlife preserve? (and don't tell me we have to drill there... gas prices have gone up but travel hasn't decreased any, the petroleum companies are making out like bandits right now...)

and of course... his tax plan.. sure, he has tax cuts, but he increased spending so much that if anything doesn't go as predicted (outside of a very small margin) we start building that National Debt up again. Also, if you look at IRS data, this cut in the "death tax" does not help the people that it's being sold to. A large majority of independent business and farm owners' net-worth don't meet the minimum value to fall under the Inheritance Tax as it is now. This is obviously a tax cut for the upper class.

So in closure, this is why I don't like bush, a lot of it is ideological, but a lot of it is just blatant inconstancies in what he says and stands for and what that actually means. I don�t like many politicians.

Sorry for the rant

[edit: my returns were erased for some reason...]
------------------

Douglas Adams 1952-2001

[This message has been edited by Earth Mk. II (edited 05-23-2001).]
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 04:50 PM

Here's a thought: GW has said that we need immediate relief from rising prices- in the form of his tax break. Immediate relief. Wouldn't the most immediate relief come if the gas tax were repealed? So. Chop down the tax cut a bit and give us some relief at the gas pump NOW. You get your tax cut. I get actual relief NOW. We all end up even.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2001, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
You don't just get into Harvard B-School because your dad has influence.
Keyword: "just"

I'm sure the fact that he was wealthy, too, didn't hurt.

------------------
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2001, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
If you can understand what was written then they have succeeded in communicating with you...
Yeah, and if I come to your house and fix your leaking faucet using a roll of Scotch tape, you'll be satisfied with the repair?

------------------

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
So in closure, this is why I don't like bush, a lot of it is ideological, but a lot of it is just blatant inconstancies in what he says and stands for and what that actually means. I don�t like many politicians.

[edit: my returns were erased for some reason...]
And What about Clinton? He also is "a lot of it is ideological, but a lot of it is just blatant inconstancies in what he says and stands for and what that actually means"

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 05:05 PM

that's a good point maxelson - in fact, all taxes on goods and services should be abolished - Gas, Tobacco, Food, Clothing EVERYTHING.

That's why we pay income taxes - anything else is double taxation, which is why I have an accountant and a lawyer assist me in not paying these taxes. It's unconstitutional!

Not to mention all the tolls (The George Washington Bridge toll is $6.00!) and all the other BS toll charges on highways that WE already paid for and continue to do so by paying income taxes.

I'm just in cranky mood today and this forum is a wonderful outlet, although Dubya is still an idiot.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by osiris:
that's a good point maxelson - in fact, all taxes on goods and services should be abolished - Gas, Tobacco, Food, Clothing EVERYTHING.

That's why we pay income taxes - anything else is double taxation, which is why I have an accountant and a lawyer assist me in not paying these taxes. It's unconstitutional!

Not to mention all the tolls (The George Washington Bridge toll is $6.00!) and all the other BS toll charges on highways that WE already paid for and continue to do so by paying income taxes.

I'm just in cranky mood today and this forum is a wonderful outlet, although Dubya is still an idiot.
I agree with you as well. BTW This "Gas crisis" Started under Clinton. He too could have pushed to have congress push to have the Gas tax repealed.

Gov't will not repeal that tobacco tax, they want to legislate and tell you you can't smoke. If you want to ruin your body by smoking the then you should have the right to.

Here in the republic of New Jersey they may get rid of the tols on the Parkway. That's something I'll believe when I see it.

mr. natural
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 05:16 PM

Here's a thought: GW has said that we need immediate relief from rising prices- in the form of his tax break. Immediate relief. Wouldn't the most immediate relief come if the gas tax were repealed? So. Chop down the tax cut a bit and give us some relief at the gas pump NOW. You get your tax cut. I get actual relief NOW. We all end up even.
Now I have to believe maxelson is suggesting this in jest, cuz if he ain't, well... so much for his environmental concerns.

I have a better idea. Why don't we post the real cost of our gluttonous waste of gas by making us pay at the pump for our $2.5 billion a year in military expenditures ensuring that oil pumped in the middle east doesn't get waylaid by terrorists. Or how about the hidden costs of health related expenses due to air pollution, damage to the environment, water pollution, etc., that don't show up at the local gasoline vendor but most definitely costs us in higher state and federal taxes cleaning up after our wasteful ways! And, heck, I haven't even got started yet with the money it's gonna take to ensure our children's lives aren't one of a living climatalogical hellhole.

If the true costs of gasoline was reflected at the pump you can be damn sure we'd kick this stupid habit sooner than later.

But NOOOOO... we whine as if it was written somewhere that we have a god given right to cheap gasoline!

You want cheap gasoline? Drill for it in your own damn yard you bunch of skin-flint pussies.

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

MinM
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 05:17 PM

Bush is "pro-life" yet supports capital punishment. This is a hypocritical view
No it's not. Innocent unborn babies cannot be compared with convicted murderers and rapists.

sure, he has tax cuts, but he increased spending so much
Democrats wanted a 12% increase in spending, but thanks to Bush, spending will only increase by 5%.

If you think a spiraling economy
The economy started spiraling while Clinton was in office. Clinton knew last year that a recesion was coming, but made sure nobody knew about it, so that Gore's chances in the election wouldn't be hurt.

$2.50/gallon gas ($3.00 by this summer)
Bush's energy plan addresses the gas problem. Drilling in Alaska (among other places) will push those prices down in no time.

a "tax break" to benefit the wealthy
Bush's tax plan helps everyone who pays taxes. The bottom tax bracket gets the biggest tax cut (from 15% to 10%). Seeing as the top 50% of taxpayers pay 96% of the total income taxes collected, it only makes sense that their dollar figures will be bigger.

you're smoking WAY too much crack (you know, just like your president.)
In the 60's. Clinton was high in office.

Yes, his tax plan gives a higher percentage of money to the lower income and middle class families, but that's only because no other president had 1.6 TRILLION to spend on it.
All things considered, 1.6 trillion is way too small a tax cut in our current situation.

mr. natural
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 05:33 PM

posted by MinM:
Bush's energy plan addresses the gas problem. Drilling in Alaska (among other places) will push those prices down in no time.
There's a huge hole in this equation, much like the one which involves roadbuilding; i.e., build more lanes and the more people start driving on them. The same holds true for gas prices. So long as gasoline is cheap (relatively speaking) no one bothers to conserve it. Sooner or later gasoline costs will reflect their true costs and when that happens we all is in for some major sticker shock.

That is if Nature don't hit us first. POW!

[This message has been edited by mr. natural (edited 05-23-2001).]

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 05:49 PM

If you think a spiraling economy, $2.50/gallon gas ($3.00 by this summer),
According to the news there is now enough surplus that it should come down in the next few weeks.

a "tax break" to benefit the wealthy
"The federal government over the next ten years will spend $28 trillion dollars, and if this surplus materializes, it will take from us $5.6 trillion more than that amount for a total of $33.6 trillion.
The tax cut, on the other hand, is a puny $1.35 trillion over eleven years - and the much-maligned top 1% will continue to pay the largest percentage in 2012 as they are now."

George Bush was never elected in the first place and he shouldn't be there now. He's a bumbling idiot who can only make things worse. For the gods' sake, he was such a moron during college his own fraternity wouldn't trust him with ANY job outside buying the keg. But since 49% of a America voted for him, I guess it goes to show how many people actually believe the word "gullible" was taken out of the dictionary.
What do you mean Bush Wasn't elected? Votes counted and re counted and re-re-re-recounted, outcome: Bush Wins every single time. So therefore He was Elected. Dems are just sore that there man couldn't steal the election. Even with every recount he still couldn't win. In My book that means GORE LOST!

tie
Professional Poster
May 23, 2001, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by MinM:
You're right! Why aren't we already drilling in Alaska? Oh wait, we are. And it's been great for the environment, too. How much oil would the new Alaskan oilfields produce? Something like half of one percent of the US's daily consumption. While gas use has increased 20-30% in the last ten years because of SUVs. Which Bush doesn't want to regulate to improve their fuel efficiency. Oh well, maybe gas prices won't drop in no time after drilling in Alaska; how about we try drilling for gas in Yellowstone?

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 06:07 PM

Yep, the Oil Drilling plans are great; let's screw over what's left of the world right? Hmmm anybody wonder how much we'd have to pay for conservation? 10 Billion, you know how much we'd get back in 4 years? 30. Let's think where we could be that...hmmm.. oh gee... Oil? NO. Fusion research, actually create a god damned D-T Fusion Reaction, they can do, they just don't have enough money for a damn reactor! But no, Oil is just so much more efficient then the power of the sun. Oh I love the Tax Cut, give money to the rich, come on, how many here are rich, and make over 150,000? *Crickets chirp* That's what I thought, enjoy you 130 dollars when you get them, maybe you can get some gas.... A GALLON. Oh the Nuclear Missile Defense is brilliant, "well 2 out of 2 tests failed, let's go ahead and build it." "Ok, so here is the check for 60 billion". Christ, think about it, the thing doesn't work, and it will piss off the rest of the world! Backing out of Kyoto got 1/3 of the world mad, and NMD will do the rest. We'll be breaking a treaty WE REUSED FOR, gee that looks good for the rest of the world. Bush is a fool, just like all the oil mongers who think only of the now, nothing more, destroying the future by finding the simplest cheapest way out of everything. I wish luck to everyone if Bush gets a second term. Drive around your large gas guzzling cars now, and love them for all I care, and watch your children cough and die. Not to mention the droves of the newly poor�.

EDIT: I forgot, the UN work, nice moves.... Bush hasn't even talked with anybody about it. We were taken off 2 committees..... What more is there to say, everybody voted against us, not very many countries but US like the United States right now (not to mention not everyone here likes it either). We loose power now, we loose for a long while.

[This message has been edited by RDJL27 (edited 05-23-2001).]

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 06:08 PM

Okay, I agree with Maxelson, the gas tax should be repealled if he wants to provide immediate relief on pricing. I believe that would be a much smarter move than BC's decision to release oil from the nations depository. I believe he'd pick up major browny points with ass kissers.. lol. He's still an idiot.

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 06:19 PM

Forgive the intrusion from over the pond, but - without taking sides - aren't any of you slightly concerned that in a nation of over a quarter of a billion people, tens of millions of whom are eligible for office, you have had two presidents in the last ten years who are father & son? This would seem to be statistically unlikely in a meritocracy.

Hey, at least our monarchs don't get to vote.
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

poocat
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 07:06 PM

oh god do i love politics.

you do to.

just ask gwb!

i'd almost hoped we'd seen the last of these fights that never get won.
i mean, no one's changing their views...
and by a small (maybe even imagined) number, gwb is the man.

so...

yes, the environment's out the window.
we knew that from his history as governor.
yes, he's confused half of the time.
we knew that from his days @ yale.

so... what are you surprised about?
that he hired a bunch of his dad's buddies?
what?! who did you expect him to hire?
that they're running the country exactly the same as the way they ran it the last time they were in charge?
get real.
politicians never change, they just rot.

love it or leave it.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
so... what are you surprised about?
that he hired a bunch of his dad's buddies?
what?! who did you expect him to hire?
that they're running the country exactly the same as the way they ran it the last time they were in charge?
get real.
I expected exactly this. Qualified people to help him Govern the country. Not people who have no clue like Janet Reno, Joyclyn Elders, Robert Risch.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Jellytussle:
Forgive the intrusion from over the pond, but - without taking sides - aren't any of you slightly concerned that in a nation of over a quarter of a billion people, tens of millions of whom are eligible for office, you have had two presidents in the last ten years who are father & son? This would seem to be statistically unlikely in a meritocracy.

Jelly, we're only a meritocracy in relative terms. We're still human beings, and human beings are still heavily influenced by such things as looks, personality, class consciousness, connections, sex, money, etc. So, while it's possible for a country bumpkin to become President, being a Bush or a Gore definitely has its advantages.

Bush Sr. wasn't really that well liked. The Republicans knew that they had to come up with a charismatic Baby Boomer like Clinton, and Bush Jr. happened to be the most convenient choice (he was a two-term Governor of Texas, so he already had a high profile). I don't think it's the beginning of a "dynasty" or anything, although the family certainly has wealth, connections, and high profiles to its advantage.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Jelly, we're only a meritocracy in relative terms. We're still human beings, and human beings are still heavily influenced by such things as looks, personality, class consciousness, connections, sex, money, etc. So, while it's possible for a country bumpkin to become President, being a Bush or a Gore definitely has its advantages.

Bush Sr. wasn't really that well liked. The Republicans knew that they had to come up with a charismatic Baby Boomer like Clinton, and Bush Jr. happened to be the most convenient choice (he was a two-term Governor of Texas, so he already had a high profile). I don't think it's the beginning of a "dynasty" or anything, although the family certainly has wealth, connections, and high profiles to its advantage.

Dubya is not a Jr. Not like the other man who ran for President. He was a Jr.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2001, 09:02 PM

Random tidbit: Dubya will be about half a mile from my house on Monday.
Me pissed.
He is going to block traffic, and I don't like that.
I think I'll try and see him though.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

MacAgent
Senior User
May 23, 2001, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by parallax:

Welcome to the fora.
Ahhhhh, why is everyone calling them "Fora" now?!

------------------
Stand up, march to the new League of Nations, everyone face to face.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
Random tidbit: Dubya will be about half a mile from my house on Monday.
Me pissed.
He is going to block traffic, and I don't like that.
I think I'll try and see him though.
How do ya think it felt when Clintons (both of them) come/came to New York City? Traffic wasn't just blocked.

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Jellytussle:

Well it really increases your chances if two of your sons happen to be governors, which gives them a very good shot at becoming president. Of course there are scores of Kennedy's and Rockefellers who currently hold or plan to run for public office.

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 09:58 PM

How do ya think it felt when Clintons (both of them) come/came to New York City? Traffic wasn't just blocked.
When Clinton came here, the big story was how his plane (not even Air Force One, since it was too big), got stuck in the mud in the runway while trying to taxi since the runway was too small! (It even got play on Letterman!)

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 10:00 PM

Dubya is not a Jr. Not like the other man who ran for President. He was a Jr.
Who cares. His name isn't really "Dubya", either. It's just a convenient way to distinguish him from his father.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 23, 2001, 10:29 PM

Being overeducated and/or limited to real world exposure - or lack of, usually creates a breed of Ivy League A**hole who claims to understand humanitarian issues- going to the point of wearing those god-aweful birkenstocks, then upon graduating doing nothing but contribute to problems of the world by working for huge multinational conglomerates hell bent on screwing the poorer 97% of the world.

I find this to be a fact in my personal dealings with Ivy league universities and some of the scum that materializes out of them.

Dubya is that scum....

[snip]
I though you were talking about liberals. Those ivy league liberals are ****ing up the country.

mr. natural
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 10:36 PM

How about we just call him puppet.

That about sums it up.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 12:42 AM

I love to watch the liberals get upset when you tell them the truth...

and their replies are so well-thought-out

7 years, 7 months until Dubya leaves office.

This is gonna kick-@ss

----edited to add an LOL @ the Joycelyn Elders et al comment.

"The public schools should be teaching our churdrin about masterbation..." - Joycelyn Elders; Surgeon General under Clinton...makes you wonder how much weight a statement like this carries: "The Surgeon General has determined that cigarette smoking..."

[This message has been edited by TNproud2b (edited 05-24-2001).]
*empty space*

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 12:49 AM

damn it would suck if she really performed surgery on someone
*empty space*

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2001, 01:29 AM

Scott_H:

No, I was refering to 'posers' who enjoy the party life during the college years, then condemn it after graduation - when they move to a more conservative agenda, and with direct opposition to the life they had in college.

The liberals you are thinking of are jerks too, but the conservatives are far more dangerous.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2001, 01:31 AM

I'm a liberal.
And I don't like Bush.
And he had better not get in my way.
It will be fun to see the not so secret service scouting my roof to make sure there are no snipers there. I have a decent view of where he will be from my roof.
It will be fun to annoy them

Maybe someone will give me a ticket to visit the white house (the public tour) to shut me up?
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules