Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Russia is Finished

Russia is Finished
gwrjr33
Senior User
May 24, 2001, 09:09 AM

The Atlantic | May 2001

Russia Is Finished
The unstoppable descent of a once great power into social catastrophe and strategic irrelevance

by Jeffrey Tayler

During the Cold War years I perceived Russia through a Cold War prism - as a land of vast, frozen twilight realms of steppe and forest where a drama was being acted out that involved players of satanic evil or saintly good and doctrines that promised either mankind's salvation or its ruin. I developed a passion for the country, a passion that derived in part from a weighty postulate: that what happened there concerned not only Russians but the rest of the world. In its Soviet incarnation Russia had nuclear weapons and a powerful military, a threatening and subversive ideology, a tendency to invade its neighbors or meddle in their affairs, and the might to wreak havoc on other continents. Russians I came to know spoke of the future of their country as if it would be the fate of humanity, and I agreed with them...

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
May 24, 2001, 10:19 AM

...nuclear weapons and a powerful military, a threatening and subversive ideology, a tendency to invade its neighbors or meddle in their affairs, and the might to wreak havoc on other continents.
Sorta sounds like the United States to me

fulmer
Professional Poster
May 24, 2001, 01:31 PM

well, I'll be in Russia within the week. At first in St. Petersburg and then Moscow.

I wouldn't be so quick to count them out, but things are definitely in bad shape, especially the infrastructure. People that guard the nukes make $5 a month (roughly 140 rubles), and that's provided they've been paid this month. Not a pretty scenario.

------------------
da zdravstvuyet mir!

[This message has been edited by fulmer (edited 05-24-2001).]

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
well, I'll be in Russia within the week. At first in St. Petersburg and then Moscow.
I wouldn't be so quick to count them out, but things are definitely in bad shape, especially the infrastructure. People that guard the nukes make $5 a month (roughly 140 rubles), and that's provided they've been paid this month. Not a pretty scenario.
If I give you 20 bucks to barder with the guys that guard the missiles do you think you can bring me some plutonium back? I have a certain beaucracy I'd like to talk too.. lol.. j/k.. Please no CIA agents coming to my home.
It's just my humble opinion.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
May 24, 2001, 02:11 PM

I have a certain beaucracy I'd like to talk too.. lol.. j/k.. Please no CIA agents coming to my home.
LOL...ya just never know! I hate to bring his name up, but remember when Ca$h supposedly was contacted by the Secret Service for supposedly threatening the then vice president?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2001, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by gwrjr33:
The unstoppable descent of a once great power into social catastrophe and strategic irrelevance
What's sad about this is that it may drive them back into a highly centralized gov't and economy.

I think they just needed to move more slowly into capitalism. A bunch of Americans went over them and told them to deregulate everything immediately, and everything would be hunky dory. Now they're paying the price.

Forum Links
Forum Rules