Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Limeware OS X

Limeware OS X
Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2001, 07:21 PM

Does anyone know how to unzip the Limeware software for OS X?
It's just my humble opinion.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2001, 10:17 PM

That huge file that comes with limewire is actually a shell script w/data that self decompresses itself. Pretty nifty, IMHO
Anyway, to decompress it, just run it in from the terminal.

Edit: Just occured to me that you need to make the file executable before you can run it. to do that do chmod a+x LimeWireMacOSX.sh then to run it do ./LimeWireMacOSX.sh

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: Mactoid ]
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 10:27 PM

There is also an easy install version if your still having problems. http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10275

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2001, 12:04 AM

Check out the thread a better LimeWire for OSX! for a kewl way of packaging the regular limewire client for OSX. It works without the terminal and has a great icon IMHO.

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: wr11 ]

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2001, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by Mactoid:
<STRONG>That huge file that comes with limewire is actually a shell script w/data that self decompresses itself. Pretty nifty, IMHO
Anyway, to decompress it, just run it in from the terminal.

Edit: Just occured to me that you need to make the file executable before you can run it. to do that do chmod a+x LimeWireMacOSX.sh then to run it do ./LimeWireMacOSX.sh

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: Mactoid ]</STRONG>
why do you need to do that command? When I installed it I just did sh limewire.sh and it ran the installer. Then once it installed i just went to the folder and typed ./Limewire What's the difference between what I did and what you suggest?
Regards,
Dave

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2001, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
<STRONG>why do you need to do that command? When I installed it I just did sh limewire.sh and it ran the installer. Then once it installed i just went to the folder and typed ./Limewire What's the difference between what I did and what you suggest?</STRONG>
actually nothing really. I though to change it after posting but didn't bother. What I did was set the files executable bit so that I could run it like anyother command (the shell looks at the first line of the code to determine what to interpret the script with). You're method works just as well, but you directly tell the interpreter to run the file.

I made the suggestion to make the script executable, since that is what I always do first thing when I get a script so that I can always in the future execute it directly.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2001, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by Mactoid:
<STRONG>

actually nothing really. I though to change it after posting but didn't bother. What I did was set the files executable bit so that I could run it like anyother command (the shell looks at the first line of the code to determine what to interpret the script with). You're method works just as well, but you directly tell the interpreter to run the file.

I made the suggestion to make the script executable, since that is what I always do first thing when I get a script so that I can always in the future execute it directly.</STRONG>
Cool thanks for the info. I wasn't trying to come off snide in that post and it may have seemed so. I'm just really new to this whole unix thing and i'm trying to learn what some of the commands do. Thanks for the clarification.
Regards,
Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules