Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question for Booq Vyper and Timbuk2 Owners

Question for Booq Vyper and Timbuk2 Owners
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2006, 05:11 AM

Hey everyone

Right now I am about to move up from my incase nylove sleeve for my Macbook Pro 17 inch. I really like my timbuk2 bag so I am planning to get a larger size timbuk2 classic messenger and the booq vyper sleeve. Question is, is the vyper tough enough to handle being basically a stand alone case?

I ask this because the timbuk2 bags are made to be light and thin so there is basically no protection from bumps and thumps for anything inside. Essentially, the vyper will be doing all the protecting. I am especially worried about the corners and how tough they are, and the bottom sides.

If not vyper, any other suggestions? Thanks a lot. I really prefer this style than any other because I don't want to end up getting a $200 backpack built for a 17 inch and then end up buying another size laptop in the future rendering the extremely cool and expensive backpack useless.

Also, anyone else use a similar combo? a backpack/messenger bag with only a sleeve inside protecting the laptop? How has it worked out? thanks, I am sick of carrying my backpack and my laptop separately.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 11:45 AM

hey, i can help you with all of this.
first i have a timbuk2 special messenger bag for a 17MacBook Pro.
i love it. it is the best made bag that i have ever had.
the only problem right now is that my doctor said that i have a bad back from a car accident and need a good quality backpack. that being said i have ordered a Booq and should be getting it today.
i am going to be ebaying my Timbuk2 because thier packpacks will not fit my needs.
if you would like to buy my timbukl2 you sure can. it was 140 new. and in like new condition...
it was a special one at the time that would fit the macbook pro 17... it is dark blue and grey... very nice. no need for a sleeve as it has a pouch. please let me know if you want to see pics...

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 09:40 AM

i got my Booq.
it is very very nice.
it is a tab bit on the pricey side.
plenty of pockets and space.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration View Post
..tough enough to handle being basically a stand alone case?
Toughest sleeves are Tom Binh:
Tough Protection for Your Laptop: the Brain Cell Laptop Bag by: TOM BIHN

See also this thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...k-macbook-pro/

For my 17" MBP I use a Timbuk2 Tote sleeve alone (even though it is nowhere near as tough as the Tom Binh Brain Cell sleeves) plus a Spire "Meta" backpack for traveling. I bought the Meta because it provides absolutely maximum airline carry on size of 22x9x14 inches and provides a space for a 17" sleeve.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules