Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ANOTHER macbook RAM question (sorry)

ANOTHER macbook RAM question (sorry)
JonnoBrown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 08:37 AM

I am most likely buying a Macbook in the next 2 - 3 weeks, and I'm pretty set on my specifications, what I need, etc etc. However, I was wondering, for my 'standard' programs, i.e. the ones I am running pretty much constantly, how much RAM would I need? These programs are:

Mozilla Firefox
iTunes
MSN Messenger (or suitable mac alternative of course)
iWork Pages (or whatever it's called)

Also, I occasionally use Photoshop.

So, any recommendations on how much RAM I would need? I'm assuming 1GB, but do not want to make the wrong decision and end up regretting it.

Thanks in advance
Chinese Water Torture > Using Windows XP.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 31, 2007, 09:26 AM

Without Photoshop, 1GB looks fine. With Photoshop, depends heavily on what you do (and whether you're using CS2 or getting the new CS3, which should be both faster and less memory intensive since it isn't running through emulation). For light use and CS3, 1GB will do fine.

(I'd also suggest replacing Firefox with Camino as a faster, more stable alternative).

JonnoBrown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 09:33 AM

That was the kind of answer I was looking for, cheers.

I must admit, I hadn't heard of Camino before, but just did some quick googling and it looks very nice.

JonnoBrown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 09:38 AM

Oh and another question... I already have a wired router and network in my house, do I need some sort of adapter to connect the macbook to this network? Or does the cable fit the "Gigabit Ethernet" port or whatever it is?

pcguy1
Mar 31, 2007, 09:58 AM

10/100/1000 all use the same ethernut plug, so there is no need for adapter, however you will need a gigabit router to take advantage of the additional transfer speed.
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2007, 10:53 PM

Just make sure you get all the ram you want on day one. Upgrading from 1g to 2g means you toss out two 512MB simms.
I always say buy as much ram as you can afford.

Even when it meant something like $200 to bump my Apple ][ up 16K to a whopping 64k.....

applgeek
Apr 1, 2007, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
Just make sure you get all the ram you want on day one. Upgrading from 1g to 2g means you toss out two 512MB simms.
I always say buy as much ram as you can afford.
What is the problem with tossing two 512's? You can ebay them, or ill buy them.

I recommend a gig. anything needed in the future can be bought cheaper at that time. Just buy the 2 gig macbook.

May want to look into using aim instead of MSN. You can still download Messenger for mac to talk to old buddies of course. But aim works in ichat and doesnt associate you with microsoft.

Adium works with both clients.
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2007, 01:54 AM

1GB will be more than enough until you open photoshop... then you'll want 2GB for speediness
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

applgeek
Apr 2, 2007, 02:33 AM

2 guigs f you need it that much.

Just buy one 1 gig module. That wil give you 1.5 Gigs. If you need an extra 512, you can buy another 1 gig stick.

Theres some thing with matched pairs, but it is not required. it MAY give you 3 percent better video.
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

Forum Links
Forum Rules