Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trackpad not working, any ideas?

Trackpad not working, any ideas?
ShoeDg1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2004, 01:29 AM

Well, the topic pretty much says it all...any ideas on why it won't work? Any and all help is appreciated!!

Shoe
iBook 900/40/384/Combo/12.1 (Damaged and inoperable)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2004, 02:04 AM

Buy an external mouse. All I know about this is that when you have an external mouse connected you have a choice to turn you trackpad off while the external is still connected but when its disconnected the trackpad should work. If its still under warranty I would take it back, to an Apple store. If not there is no way I'd open up my comp to try to fix it. Best bet is to cut your losses and use an external. Hopefully there's a cure out there.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 10:31 AM

Check this post too for ideas...perhaps there's something in there that can help you.

click here

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2004, 11:38 AM

it would also help to know what kind of comp we are talking about here....
iBook 14" G4 933, 640Meg, 60GB, BT, APX

ShoeDg1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 04:24 AM

Okay, computer profile is in my signature, here is the software I have installed on it so far...
-AOL Instant Messenger
-MSN Instant Messenger
-Poisoned
-Windows Media Player for OSX
-RealOne Player for OSX
-AppleWorks
-Safari

All updates are also installed, and otherwise the computer runs normally. But under "Keyboard & Mouse" in System Preferences, there isn't anything concerning the trackpad itself. There are "Keyboard, Mouse, Bluetooth, Keyboard Access".

I have ran my Apple Hardware Test CD, cleaned the trackpad itself, and restarted the computer. I am a bit afraid to do a Power Manager Reset, but could this fix it? Any other options? Thanks for any help!!!

Shoe

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 06:56 AM

Looking in Jag I have: Keyboard/Trackpad/Bluetooth/Keyb. Access.

Have you looked in the mouse tab. It might have something in there???? Even though mine says trackpad it does have some info regarding the mouse.....

ShoeDg1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I've looked under all of the tabs. The thing is, there used to be trackpad info under one of the tabs. So it's like it's not even recognizing it's there? Hopefully that can help with some answers...

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2004, 11:14 PM

Try creating another admin user and then login as that user. Does the trackpad work?

If you have an external firewire drive with system software on it, does the trackpad work from that firewire startup volume? If the trackpad still doesn't work, then chances are that it's a hardware problem. Got Applecare?

agentz
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 09:35 AM

Um, have you checked that the trackpad cable is actually still seated in its connector?

You should be able to do a very quick visual check simply by unclipping the keyboard and lifting it out of the way. You should see the trackpad cable just to the right of center (smal gold coloured flat cable, about 5mm across). You don't need to do anything, just check that it hasn't come loose where it goes inside the machine.

We've had a few ibooks through here that have had trackpad cables come adrift. Never did figure out why/how it happens.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by ShoeDg1:

I have ran my Apple Hardware Test CD, cleaned the trackpad itself, and restarted the computer.
Did the trackpad work when you were booted into the hardware test? If not, you DEFINITELY don't have a software problem.

The trackpad is part of the top case kit, which isn't a bad repair on the iBooks. (it's really nasty on the TiBooks). It's worth looking into how much your local repair shop will charge (assuming you are out of warranty--have you checked??)
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

pat++
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by ShoeDg1:
I have ran my Apple Hardware Test CD, cleaned the trackpad itself, and restarted the computer. I am a bit afraid to do a Power Manager Reset, but could this fix it? Any other options? Thanks for any help!!!

Shoe
Reseting the Power Manager did it for me. Nothing to be afraid of. I think I still had the Trackpad visible in System Preferences... If the Power Manager reset is not enough, try to boot in Open Firmware (hold command-option-O-F during boot) and enter the following commands :

reset-nvram
reset-all

btw, the problem appeared after I had cleaned the trackpad with some water while the computer was on. I guess it's better to turn it off before doing the cleaning

Forum Links
Forum Rules