Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari and HP psc 2410 aio

Safari and HP psc 2410 aio
macdevil
Mar 9, 2004, 12:50 PM

I think I made a mistake. After installing drivers from CD for HP psc 2410 all in one, Safari 1.0.2 no longer will open anything except apple.com. However, IE 5.2 works fine. I updated the drivers from HP's website and still nothing. This morning I removed all the HP drivers and Safari still won't work, with the exception of apple.com. It won't even open a Safari saved HTML document. HP web page mentions issues with OS 10.2.2, but say they are resolved under 10.2.3, I am running 10.2.8. Any hints, is this just a coincidence or do the HP and safari have problems under other versions of OS X?
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

macdevil  (op)
Mar 10, 2004, 01:24 PM

I have been searching the web looking for some solutions, Apple's site say it might be a problem with the DSN thanks to the recent install of new drivers. HP's site says that a similar problem existed in OS 10.2.2, but was resolved in 10.2.3, I am running 10.2.8, so should I am debating on three possible next steps
1. System Restore for original disks
2. Upgrade to 10.3
3. Replace IOUSBFamily.kext per suggestion from HP's site (I am not sure if this will effect my Tibook further)
I am thinking I should just bit the bullet and upgrade to 10.3, but I would rather use the $$ to buy an external DVD burner. I guess I can wait a little longer for one.

Any input?

macdevil  (op)
Mar 12, 2004, 12:43 AM

I received the folloowing message from HP support and now everything is back to norma. Thank goodness, IE was putting me to sleep. For anyone else in need here is the solution they gave me:
We understand from your e-mail that after installing the PSC 2410 printer, Safari does not work.

This issue occurs because the fonts, Times OE-Roman.suit and Times RO are corrupted during install and because the font Times RO is the default font for Safari, it crashes on startup.

The issue can be resolved by deleting these two fonts. _Please follow the steps below to help resolve the issue:

1. _Double-click the hard drive (usually labeled Macintosh HD).
2. _Double-click Library.
3. _Double-click Fonts.
4. _Drag the Times OE - Roman.suit and the Times RO fonts to the Trash.
5. _Restart the Mac.
6. _Empty the Trash by selecting Empty Trash from the Finder menu.

Now, when Safari opens, it will default to a different font instead of trying to open a corrupt font. _

Note: _This process should not affect Safari in any way.

If the issue is still not satisfactorily resolved, please respond to this e-mail and include the results of the above troubleshooting so that Hewlett-Packard can better understand the present situation.

Once again, thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Customer Care Center.

NOTE: Our advice is strictly limited to the questions asked and is based on the information provided to us. _Problems and solutions may depend on the nature of your system environment and various other parameters that are unknown to HP; therefore, HP cannot assume any responsibility or liability. _ Please be advised that technical information changes as new data becomes available, therefore, HP recommends that you check back at our Customer Care web site located at http://www.hp.com/cposupport/eschome.html regularly for possible updates. _ Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages in connection with the use of this information.

Forum Links
Forum Rules