Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Going to switch...!

Going to switch...!
AlasdairM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 10:38 PM

I have always loved Apple, as we used to have them in primary school. Unfortunately I've never been able to buy my own, until recently, as the Apple prices have come down drastically for the consumer lines, and I'm now in a job etc.

I've decided I'm going to take the plunge and buy an iBook 14" with Combo drive for �899. (I will upgrade the RAM later!) I was originally going to go for the 12", but I decided for the bigger size as I use computers a lot and generally think I'll be more comfortable. (I also prefer the 60gb hard disk.)

I've done a bit of research the past few days, with regards to Tiger and the like, and basically want to know if anyone has ANY clue as to when the next iBook product refresh is due? I'm not perticularly concerned with purchasing a Tiger upgrade at a later date, if I feel I would benefit from it. (Which I probably would!)

My main concern is graphics. As everyone says, Macs aren't known for their game compatibility. I'm not a hardcore gamer or graphics designer by any stretch of the imagination. However, I am a web designer/developer, and do use laptops for DVD playback. I also did some research on the forums, and found out that Tiger has a new technology (Core Image? I can't remember now!) that a Radeon 9200 cannot utilise.

A Radeon 9200 32mb is not exactly a modern chip. The PC I'm working on now originally came with a GeForce 2 MX 200, which also had 32mb of VRAM. However, this was two-three years ago, and it has since been replaced with a GeForce 4 MX 440 (64mb), and more recently a Radeon 9600 (256mb).

I don't deny being quite an impatient person when it comes to things like this... which is why I've asked if there is any word regarding an iBook refresh. Unless there is one coming in January, that may show signs of having a better graphics chip, I want to place my order as soon as possible!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Did I mention I can't wait to order?!
( Last edited by AlasdairM; Jan 1, 2005 at 11:06 PM. )

PowerBookOwner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by AlasdairM:
I've done a bit of research the past few days, with regards to Tiger and the like, and basically want to know if anyone has ANY clue as to when the next iBook product refresh is due? I'm not perticularly concerned with purchasing a Tiger upgrade at a later date, if I feel I would benefit from it. (Which I probably would!)
No clue, but they were just bumped in October. So I would not expect anything until WWDC2005, at least.

My main concern is graphics. As everyone says, Macs aren't known for their game compatibility. I'm not a hardcore gamer or graphics designer by any stretch of the imagination. However, I am a web designer/developer, and do use laptops for DVD playback. I also did some research on the forums, and found out that Tiger has a new technology (Core Image? I can't remember now!) that a Radeon 9200 cannot utilise.
I doubt that highly, but I could be wrong.

A Radeon 9200 32mb is not exactly a modern chip. The PC I'm working on now originally came with a GeForce 2 MX 200, which also had 32mb of VRAM. However, this was two-three years ago, and it has since been replaced with a GeForce 4 MX 440 (64mb), and more recently a Radeon 9600 (256mb).
Correct. But graphics updates are too often anymore, in other words, you are not the cutting edge in 3 months when the next ATI/nVidia card comes out to top the other.

I have a 12" iBook and a Compaq X1360 Laptop. Both have the ATI Radeon 9200 with 32 meg RAM. The Compaq plays Unreal 2004, Doom3, Command & Conquer Generals and others with no problem. The iBook even plays C&C Generals (albeit slowly at times). I would be very surprised if the ATI Radeon 9200 with 32 meg cannot handle Tiger "core" graphics.

Which is more graphically intense, the supposed 3D desktop that Tiger might use or the ever changing graphics in a FPS?!?!

I don't deny being quite an impatient person when it comes to things like this... which is why I've asked if there is any word regarding an iBook refresh. Unless there is one coming in January, that may show signs of having a better graphics chip, I want to place my order as soon as possible!
I recommend that you follow your instincts and order now. There is always something faster around the corner. But do you want to wait forever? There are PowerBook updates coming on Jan 10th, or so the rumor mill says. But the iBook line is good until WWDC2005, IMHO.
14" iBook G4 1.42 gHz 60 gig HD w/SuperDrive

AlasdairM  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 09:18 AM

I also did some research on the forums, and found out that Tiger has a new technology (Core Image? I can't remember now!) that a Radeon 9200 cannot utilise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I doubt that highly, but I could be wrong.
A "CoreImage" overview is available on the Apple web site here. The Radeon 9200 is not listed in the "System Requirements" of CoreImage.

Thinking about it, I doubt it'll be an issue for me... so.

I recommend that you follow your instincts and order now. There is always something faster around the corner. But do you want to wait forever? There are PowerBook updates coming on Jan 10th, or so the rumor mill says. But the iBook line is good until WWDC2005, IMHO.
So true -- and I think I will order this week. I'm not waiting until WWDC2005 (June is that?). I'm not interested in purchasing a PowerBook either, considering they're a higher price, when the specs aren't that different anymore. (I prefer the solid white plastic iBook too.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules