Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone here had laser eye surgery?

Anyone here had laser eye surgery?
MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 24, 2006, 10:06 AM

I'm getting laser vision correction surgery next month, i'm excited, but nervous. Wanted to see if anyone's got stories of their experience, etc.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 10:10 AM

Andrew Welch (a.k.a. moki on many forums) wrote a wonderful article on his experience.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 12:14 PM

I haven't had any laser eye surgery. In my care don't think it would help with vision of >20/400's. The money is an obstacle also. With any surgery there are risks. The doctor always explains all of them prior to the consent being signed.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 24, 2006, 12:41 PM

I had PRK in October 2001. I went from a declining (worsening) nearsightedness to 20/15 in the 20 minute procedure. I'm STILL 20/15 four and a half years later, and I absolutely love not needing to paw around for glasses just to read the darn alarm clock.

Are you having Lasik or PRK? Lasik is supposed to be less uncomfortable, but PRK has a longer track record. I'll admit my eyes hurt a lot right afterward, but I was prescribed enough Benadryl to keep me snoozin' the whole next day, and after just a couple of days they just needed drops every now and then.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Mar 24, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Are you having Lasik or PRK? Lasik is supposed to be less uncomfortable, but PRK has a longer track record. I'll admit my eyes hurt a lot right afterward, but I was prescribed enough Benadryl to keep me snoozin' the whole next day, and after just a couple of days they just needed drops every now and then.

I'm having Lasik, with no blade, they use the laser to make the cornea flap.

Originally Posted by wdlove
I haven't had any laser eye surgery. In my care don't think it would help with vision of >20/400's. The money is an obstacle also. With any surgery there are risks. The doctor always explains all of them prior to the consent being signed.
Don't count on it, love, my vision is about 20/400 too! It is very expensive, I'm using my home equity to pay for it (about 4k), but then again, how can you put a price on VISION? Yes, I watched a video of all the risks - definately not created by marketing folks! HA, there are a lot of risks, but for me, the potential benefits are definately out-weighing them right now. It's a BIG decision for anybody to think about carefully.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 01:09 PM

Next August 15th will be 10 years since I had LASIK. My vision went from bad enough that I couldn't make out the big "E" on the wall from 10 feet away to being able to read a newspaper from across the room.

I can't tell you how wonderful my experience had been. You are right, you can't put a price on eyesight. And having perfect (actually, better than 20/20) vision is priceless!

It literally changed my life. I have pretty bad allergies, and there were times where I couldn't wear contacts because of my irritated eyes, but glasses were so thick that they were less than perfect.

Good luck, you'll remember the day forever!
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Next August 15th will be 10 years since I had LASIK. My vision went from bad enough that I couldn't make out the big "E" on the wall from 10 feet away to being able to read a newspaper from across the room.

I can't tell you how wonderful my experience had been. You are right, you can't put a price on eyesight. And having perfect (actually, better than 20/20) vision is priceless!

It literally changed my life. I have pretty bad allergies, and there were times where I couldn't wear contacts because of my irritated eyes, but glasses were so thick that they were less than perfect.

Good luck, you'll remember the day forever!
You certainly had a terrific experience, and the fact that it was nearly a decade ago is really impressive. Out of curiosity, where was your surgery performed?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
You certainly had a terrific experience, and the fact that it was nearly a decade ago is really impressive. Out of curiosity, where was your surgery performed?
TLC Laser Center, Billings, MT.

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 02:51 PM

I do not see the point unless you are really blind or you are having huge visual problems. If it is for fashion or so you will look good it is silly and very risky.

Hope it goes well and you have a extremly competent eye surgeon. You should try to find some of his ex-patients that way they would put your mind at ease.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 03:08 PM

do you wear glasses monique? its a pain in the ass

i have astigmatism in my left eye, and only wonder how i would perform in a basketball game with 20/20 vision i HATE having an awkward depth perception.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
I do not see the point unless you are really blind or you are having huge visual problems. If it is for fashion or so you will look good it is silly and very risky.

Hope it goes well and you have a extremly competent eye surgeon. You should try to find some of his ex-patients that way they would put your mind at ease.
Monique - there is very little risk to LASIK. Especially now that they use a lazer to "cut the flap."

Most of the surgery is computer controlled and does not rely on the hand of a surgeon.

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 03:49 PM

Yes I do since the age of 12, now they made out of plastic well the frame is made of ultra light metal and the lenses out of plastic and I do not think about it, I guess after 35 years I got used to them. Tried contact lenses but my eyes are too dry for them. First thing in the morning I put on my glasses and it is the last thing I take off before I go to sleep. It all depends on your sickness; if surgery is the only option to a better vision go ahead. But, I will never take the risk for vanity.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 03:59 PM

But, I will never take the risk for vanity.
I would say that LASIK is not about vanity. At all. It's not something like a nose job or a face lift. It's correction of vision. Just like glasses or contacts. It's just permanent.

Ask anyone who knows me and you'd know that I'm about the least interested in vanity of anyone they know. I'm a casual guy. But the surgery changed my life.

Think of the things where glasses or contacts are inconvenient: Skiing, swimming, photography, etc.

This is NOT about looking in the mirror and wishing you didn't wear glasses. It's about looking in the mirror and seeing yourself, clearly. Without glasses or contacts.

And it's not very risky either!

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 06:32 PM

My friend Kirsten had an issue with this - she had it done on one eye and was
going to do the second eye later but found that for reasons completely unknown
she has terrible night vision now and cannot see stars out of that eye anymore.

Anyone run into this? I was considering this for myself but you only get one
pair of eyes and I'd love to jettison the glasses forever but I can't afford to
be blinded or visually impaired at all.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 06:47 PM

I can't get LASIK because of my astigmatism. However, I can get that lense one they do for catatract surgery.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 07:41 PM

Yes I do since the age of 12, now they made out of plastic well the frame is made of ultra light metal and the lenses out of plastic and I do not think about it, I guess after 35 years I got used to them. Tried contact lenses but my eyes are too dry for them. First thing in the morning I put on my glasses and it is the last thing I take off before I go to sleep. It all depends on your sickness; if surgery is the only option to a better vision go ahead. But, I will never take the risk for vanity.
There are some vision problems that can not be corrected with glasses. I know someone who has had the surgery, everything is fine.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Mar 24, 2006, 08:17 PM

But, I will never take the risk for vanity.
Believe me, it is not for the sake of vanity... I'd like to think i'm a bigger person than that.

It's about being able to see my legs to shave them in the shower...
It's having peripheral vision again (i also, don't wear contacts as my eyes are too dry)...
It's about not being completely useless if my glasses fall off their "assigned spot" on the nightstand...
Walking in and out of buildings in the winter time without glasses fogging up...
Seeing my way around while swimming in the ocean (let's face it - a shark could be right next to me, and i couldn't see it!)

To you astigmatism folk... Check with your doctors!! They are able to do Lasik on astigmatism people now, at least my doctor does.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 09:04 PM

MrsLarry:
I had lasik back in 2000 or so and I don't regret it. With that said, my night vision is not what it use to be. That is one possible side effect. Some people might see "halos". But I think overall, most people report that they experience no side effects and see an improvement in their vision.

Good luck.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 10:31 PM

Been about 10 weeks and my vision is great. Don't think they can't fix astigmatism or 20/400 vision. See your eye doctor and get a free preliminary exam.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 10:36 PM

My night vision has improved over the 10 years since I've had the surgery. At first, I had mild halos and such, now it's normal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules