Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Avie Tevanian is quitting Apple

Avie Tevanian is quitting Apple
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 27, 2006, 11:01 PM

Adios Avie

Avadis "Avie" Tevanian, Apple Computer's Chief Technology Officer, is leaving the firm to "pursue other interests," the company confirmed Monday. Tevanian, who came to Apple in 1997 from his previous post working for Steve Jobs at NeXT, played a key role in developing Mac OS X, the company's widely adored operating system.

Although Apple wouldn't say what Tevanian's plans are, Vice President of Worldwide Corporate Communications Katie Cotton wrote in an e-mail that, "He plans to take some time off in the interim. He hasn't left yet, though. His last official day is March 31."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2006, 11:11 PM

Nine years is a long time. Good luck with whatever he does next.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2006, 11:15 PM

Yeah, here's to Avie, and all he's done for us.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2006, 11:18 PM

He is a genius... and it is going to be very difficult to fill his shoes.

I had the chance to hear him talk at Carnegie Mellon University...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2006, 11:26 PM

Here's to Avie.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2006, 11:32 PM

That's bad news for Apple. Hope they find someone worthy to follow...

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2006, 12:51 AM

Very bad news indeed. Never a good thing when a company loses a key genius. Perhaps he's disgruntled over the Intel switch.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2006, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Very bad news indeed. Never a good thing when a company loses a key genius. Perhaps he's disgruntled over the Intel switch.
Heh. Probably not, since NeXT was heavily into x86 before it was bought out by Apple. In fact, as we all know, NeXT was heavily into x86 after the buyout too, as OS X Intel.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 01:03 AM

Wonder what he did to upset Steve.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2006, 01:05 AM

Maybe he just felt that with an AAPL stock price of $60 and his bazillion shares, he could semi-retire.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2006, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Nine years is a long time. Good luck with whatever he does next.

Here's my guess.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2006, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I'm sure that's it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Is that a typo (Adios instead of spanish Adiós) or do americans use 'Adios' without the accent mark over vowel as another legit way to see good bye?

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Is that a typo (Adios instead of spanish Adiós) or do americans use 'Adios' without the accent mark over vowel as another legit way to see good bye?
As a general rule native English speakers (for want of a better description) don't have a clue how to get any of the squiggly lines or dots that appear above letters (accented characters). That goes for me as well. And since we are lazy in languages in general, and can't be bothered to figure it out, that's what happens.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2006, 08:36 AM

Adios is often used in English (without the accent).

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2006, 09:17 AM

Those of us in the US dont' have those funky things on our keyboards, and aren't really interested in figuring out what combinations of keystrokes would make them show up.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Those of us in the US dont' have those funky things on our keyboards, and aren't really interested in figuring out what combinations of keystrokes would make them show up.
Was that sarcasm or a genuine declaration of ignorance among Americans?

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 11:00 AM

He is older, rich, and WELL educated. He may simply be tired of the stress... and the major transition for Apple has happened, so now would be a good time.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 11:02 AM

I'm an American, and I say the "ó" is just fine.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 11:28 AM

Sad news. I wish Avie all the best. Maybe he just needs to some off to refresh.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 01:45 PM

this close enough for ya... adio's

one post closer to five stars

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 02:38 PM

Or what did Steve to upset him? Steve can be a hard a.. to work for at times.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 02:58 PM

What has he done that is so great though?

I mean OSX's finder is a disaster, every Apple 1.0 release is the slowest thing on the planet I say smell ya later and bring in some fresh blood.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2006, 04:06 PM

Come on, this is a Mac board... agreed, on Windows it's a pain in the ass to type these things, but on the Mac... option-E, then type an 'o', makes an ó.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 04:12 PM

I hope you didn't get me wrong, I was just asking about it since even when there is a huge population that can understand and speak spanish in the US, I though you would preffer to use some french equivalent, something like "Adieu Avie". Reading it in spanish just surprised me.

Originally Posted by dav
this close enough for ya... adio's
haha sure, don't worry, even spaniards have a hell of a time to figure them out… I guess it was a better choice than 'Hasta la Vista'

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
What has he done that is so great though?

He was one of the inventors of Mach.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2006, 11:39 AM

Oh, I had forgotten... Jon Rubinstein is leaving too tomorrow.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 11:58 AM

Sorry I guess I missed that when they taught everyone that in grade one

I bow down to your nerdiness oh nerdy one

Either way, who cares. Someone else can do it.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2006, 12:04 PM

Sorry I guess I missed that when they taught everyone that in grade one

I bow down to your nerdiness oh nerdy one
You need to hand in your Mac fanclub card NOW.

Mach is the precursor to NeXT's OS, which is the precursor to OS X.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 12:16 PM

You need to hand in your Mac fanclub card NOW.

Mach is the precursor to NeXT's OS, which is the precursor to OS X.
Well I get that but Mach is just the very low level stuff.

When it comes to programmers they seem to be more of a dime a dozen as really anyone can be taught to program where creative talent is more something that you are born with and can be nurtured.

Everywhere I have worked in the past the programers are always replaceable and not paid or treated as well as the creative team.

Now obviously there are some programers that can take a creative approach to efficient coding but like I said I am not all that impressed with much of Apples software when it first comes out as it is slow as all hell. OSX, iMovie, Aperture and iPhoto are good examples.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2006, 12:25 PM

Well I get that but Mach is just the very low level stuff.

When it comes to programmers they seem to be more of a dime a dozen as really anyone can be taught to program where creative talent is more something that you are born with and can be nurtured.

Everywhere I have worked in the past the programers are always replaceable and not paid or treated as well as the creative team.

Now obviously there are some programers that can take a creative approach to efficient coding but like I said I am not all that impressed with much of Apples software when it first comes out as it is slow as all hell. OSX, iMovie, Aperture and iPhoto are good examples.
Your programmers don't oversee OS development at all, much less an OS they invented and managed through all the various iterations.

Your comparison has absolutely no meaning, and smacks of the attitude of a condescending artist to be honest. The loss of such a resource in Tevanian is a big deal. He's not just-another-programmer-writing-scripts-for-webpages.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 12:30 PM

Your programmers don't oversee OS development at all, much less an OS they invented and managed through all the various iterations.

Your comparison has absolutely no meaning, and smacks of the attitude of a condescending artist to be honest. The loss of such a resource in Tevanian is a big deal. He's not just-another-programmer-writing-scripts-for-webpages.
I've been working with programmers for 7 years full time and see that is how the upper management works with them. I also have programmer friends that say the same thing to me about pay, treatment and future opportunities.

How many years you been working with programmers or Apple for that matter to know better?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2006, 12:52 PM

So because you work with lousy companies that don't recognize what a good programmer is worth, that means a good programmer is worthless? It sounds to me like you're talking out your ass. Naive corporate policies do not facts make.
Chuck
___

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 12:55 PM

Either way, who cares. Someone else can do it.
Well, according to this philosophy, nobody needs to get paid more than, say, 20 000$ a year, we're all equal, after all? Nobody needs Leonardo Da Vinci, nobody needs Marie Curie, nobody needs Steve Jobs? (OK, far stretched comparaison) But you should recognize that some people changed the course of history, one way or another. Be it in physical science, biology, computing, arts, politics, etc

Obviously, you are not familiar with Mach or Avie himself, so it's hard for you to appreciate what he has done. He's not just a little programmer, he's the father of a new way of doing things, in his field of expertise. In fact, your subsequent statement explains it pretty well:
Key words: creative talent. He's the programmer that made it so easy for "disposable", lower-ranking programmers to do their jobs easily and efficiently.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Obviously, you are not familiar with Mach or Avie himself, so it's hard for you to appreciate what he has done.
Really? What lead you on? Was it when I said in my first post "What has he done that is so great though?"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2006, 01:03 PM

Exactly. People can use C without any creativity just like people can use Illustrator or Quark without any creativity, but that doesn't mean everyone is equal and exchangeable.
Chuck
___

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2006, 01:03 PM

I've been working with programmers for 7 years full time and see that is how the upper management works with them. I also have programmer friends that say the same thing to me about pay, treatment and future opportunities.

How many years you been working with programmers or Apple for that matter to know better?
I have programmer friends in project leader and management positions in large computer software/hardware companies (although not Apple). They get paid VERY well and it's very easy for them to get jobs, because people with that type of knowledge and experience are always in high demand. When they look for jobs, the interested companies fly them out to their cities, put them up in nice hotels, and wine and dine them. If they move from Canada to the US for the job, these companies will pay for all of their moving expenses, and assign a lawyer and others to handle all of their immigration and financial issues associated with the move.

Tevanian is obviously not low-end programmer grunt. It's the grunts that get treated like crap, partially because the ones that don't stand out are easy to replace. Same goes for designers too. I'm sure you'd agree there are a lot of designers out there that simply aren't that good, and upper management would have no problem replacing them in a heartbeat.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 01:05 PM

Steve Jobs is irreplaceable. Avie is not.

What is the name of the guy they brought in from Be that helped with Spotlight?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 01:24 PM

Really? What lead you on? Was it when I said in my first post "What has he done that is so great though?"
In part, in addition to
Sorry I guess I missed that when they taught everyone that in grade one. [...] Either way, who cares?
If you think that Mach could have been written by any Joe Somebody, you need to read more information
Originally Posted by "Dark Helmet
Steve Jobs is irreplaceable. Avie is not.
They are both replaceable, in theory, but things would be different, very different (and probably not in a good way). Jobs gets credited for many things, but Avie is always not too far behind him, he just happens to be the "guy in the back". Jobs is the frontman that everybody recognizes. Avie is the other Steve of this era, if you will.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 01:30 PM

Just look how the press is handling it. It was news for a day, no stories about his history, no wondering who will replace him, no real questions as to why he is leaving.

If he is so great why do so few care?

Answer this. Other who was responsible for programming Apples home grown apps?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 01:37 PM

Just look how the press is handling it. It was news for a day, no stories about his history, no wondering who will replace him, no real questions as to why he is leaving.

If he is so great why do so few care?
Because outsiders, people who are not familiar or interested in this field, don't care. He chose to live a quiet life, away from the limelight. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people who still don't know who Steve Jobs is, or wouldn't care if he left. News outlet have to screen what information will catch reader's (or viewer's) interest. He's not the President, just an engineer, after all! Two days of coverage would seem a little excessive, with all respects due.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 01:43 PM

Again, who is responsible for Apples 1st party apps?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 01:45 PM

Again, who is responsible for Apples 1st party apps?
I don't understand what you mean/where you are going. The "1st party apps" wouldn't even run without Avie's work. He put down the foundations which support the house, if you want. The pavement under the cars.

[Edit] Anyway, I'm not comfortable with the way this thread is going. I see it more as an "obituary", a farewell thread for the "gone". Diminishing his work or achievements seems a little inappropriate, while I understand your original questioning.
( Last edited by FireWire; Mar 30, 2006 at 01:56 PM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire
I don't understand what you mean/where you are going. The "1st party apps" wouldn't even run without Avie's work. He put down the foundations which support the house, if you want. The pavement under the cars.
Yes yes yes. Mach is wonderful, fine.

My question for the 4th time is WHO is responsible for the development programming in the following apps:

1) ilife apps
2) Final Cut
3) Aperture
4) OSX 10.0

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 02:02 PM

We don't know. There are many people involved in those applications and operating system. And since some companies used to "steal" or lure employees away from Apple, the latter got into the habit of hiding who is responsible for what. Notice there is no longer a list of programmers in the "About this app" dialog box. Furthermore, I don't see how this is relevant to this thread, other than dropping names.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2006, 02:04 PM

Probably not Avie!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2006, 02:04 PM

Yes yes yes. Mach is wonderful, fine.

My question for the 4th time is WHO is responsible for the development programming in the following apps:

1) ilife apps
2) Final Cut
3) Aperture
4) OSX 10.0
According to this page, it's a guy named Sina Tamaddon.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
According to this page, it's a guy named Sina Tamaddon.
He needs to quit. I mean iPhoto is at what version 6 and it is just now the speed of every other photo app out there?

Adobe threw out a lightroom beta in no time that was much faster than Aperture.

Avi in his role should have been more involved in this. His bio on Apples page says next to nothing of what he does at Apple and more about his history at next.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 02:13 PM

He needs to quit.
May we know how this is even remotely relevant to this thread? Why are you doing this? You don't need to derail this thread.
His bio on Apples page says next to nothing of what he does at Apple and more about his history at next.
True. The same goes for the other persons mentioned on the Bios page. Apple's fault, not his. Did you see Steve's page? Might as well fire him, he's doing nothing!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 02:21 PM

So other than Mach I don't understand what he does from day to day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules