Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > still no sleep Jag

still no sleep Jag
cjohnsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2002, 10:44 AM

I still have problems putting G4 dual 500 to sleep. The hard drives, 2 scsi with atto bto scsi card,spin down ok, but the fan and the pulsating power buttons remain constant. I also have a delta 66 sound card, I have a 1 gig g4 with delta at work, sleeps fine. So it is either scsi or maybe dsl connection?
What am I missing?
thanx
curt

ntsc
Senior User
Sep 1, 2002, 01:02 PM

Why not try swapping out the various non-standard components to your system and then add them one at a time until the machine refuses to go to sleep. That way you can bug the makes of the offending card or device to fix the problem.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2002, 02:16 PM

I can put my 933 G4 to sleep, the problem is waking it up. When it wakes up from sleep, my internet doesnt work, and the system overall doesn't really feel right. In order to get my ethernet back after sleep, I have to restart, which defeats the purpose of sleep. any thoughts?

[email protected]
Senior User
Sep 1, 2002, 04:20 PM

i've got the same machine, and i remember my ati card (xclaimvr128 pci) used to complain that it could not support "deep sleep," (when putting to sleep in os 9) but my girlfriend's DP450, with no cards in it, does 'deep sleep.'

the fan in my mac never goes off, but hers gets all silent. sleeping deeply.

i now run an ati 7000, ata133 RAID and still do not 'deep sleep' on the DP500.

but i do have 3 monitors and 360 GB or storage.

try removing the cards. also, check the button in energy saver that says 'put the hard drive to sleep when possible.'

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2002, 08:54 PM

My dual gig can no longer sleep because of jag. It powers down, then powers right back up. Also, on occasion, choosing Shut Down will result in a restart.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

wingdo
Senior User
Sep 1, 2002, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by ntsc:
Why not try swapping out the various non-standard components to your system and then add them one at a time until the machine refuses to go to sleep.
Well on my DP 533, my system won't sleep with the Apple installed Apple branded SCSI card. And no, this is not an old machine as OS X was pre-installed on it.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

dweeks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2002, 04:55 PM

I had to remove one of my two powered USB hubs, and then I could sleep. I still have the 20 second delay, but at least it goes to sleep.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2002, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
I can put my 933 G4 to sleep, the problem is waking it up. When it wakes up from sleep, my internet doesnt work, and the system overall doesn't really feel right. In order to get my ethernet back after sleep, I have to restart, which defeats the purpose of sleep. any thoughts?
I have this problem too...could a powered USB hub be to blame?

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 05:26 PM

Same problem. No deep sleep at all and it often bounces right out of the regular sleep. It's been like this since the Public Beta of Mac OS X.

Dual 500 MHz G4
Apple pre-installed SCSI PCI card.
Apple pre-installed AGP Radeon (original)

I've removed everything and tested at each step and the problem is DEFINITELY with the SCSI card. What's disappointing is that my Mac has absolutely no problems with deep sleep in Mac OS 9.

The server made a boo boo. (403)

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 05:44 PM

How many of these sleep related problems are coming from clean installs? I had a similar problem with shutting down or waking from sleep on my cube. I created another user and it worked without a hitch. Aside from that, the SCSI card problems with certain Adaptec cards have been ongoing for some. Updating firmware usually solved the problems for me.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2002, 09:25 PM

I have a 500AGP G4, It has NEVER really slept under OSX. From the PB to Jag, it powers off the monitor, but the power light on the front NEVER changes to orange and pulses (as it does in OS9). I am pretty sure its the apple store SCSI card (BTO option). I have not tried removing it, but since I am planning a radeon 8500 flashing trial this weekend, maybe i'll ditch the scsi card - no scsi stuff left anyway

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

bradr
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2002, 10:00 PM

I have a wierder problem. My iBook 500 will sleep and not wake up. If I put it to sleep it's ok, but if I let it go to sleep after a time out, it goes into a coma and will not wake up at all. I have to reboot to get it back on.

I'm open to any ideas??

zonetuke
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2002, 01:24 AM

My DP 800 does sleep well. The problem is waking up. The internet connection is lost and the time is set to when I put it to sleep.

Lame.

Here is the fix for getting your ethernet card turned back on quicker to reconnect to the internet:
in terminal
ifconfig en0 down
ifconfig en0 up
matthew
Dual G5 2.3 GHz Powermac, 2.5 GB ram, GeForce 6600, Belkin 4 port USB hub,, SyncMaster 21" LCD, iMic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules