Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > basic hard drive question

basic hard drive question
trackerxx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 11:01 AM

I just purchased a Western Digital 500GB hard drive. I'd like to use it for storing and accessing iMovie projects.

The hard drive has firewire and USB. I assume I should use firewire. Can I also use USB if my camera is already plugged in via the firewire port?

Also I need to reformat the drive from FAT-32. What's the best format to choose (I will only be using this hard drive for my mac).

Should I partion this drive? Why and what are the advantages of a partion?

Thanks for your help.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 12:00 PM

You should use the firewire port - you should be able to daisy chain the camera into the drive.
If you don't know whether you should partition, you should not partition.
Format for Mac OS extended (Journalled) unless you must share this with a windows machine, in which case you may want to leave it on fat32.

trackerxx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 12:07 PM

Thanks. Do I just go to applications and disk utilities and click erase?

Nothing is on the hard drive right now.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 12:19 PM

Yes. Just make sure you pick the right drive! Also, you can use the USB port if you can't daisy chain the camera, but the drive will be slower.

trackerxx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks kindly. I appreciate the help.

My drive came with some software for the Mac. It's some sort of back-up program. Is this worth keeping? (I can always copy it to the computer and then drag it back to the drive once its reformatted).

Sorry for all the basic questions. Your answers have been very helpful.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 12:55 PM

What version of OX X do you have? If you're running Leopard, it comes with Time Machine, or you could check out Carbon Copy Cloner. Not knowing exactly what the software is, or what your backup needs are it's a little hard to tell - either just try it, and see if it meets your needs, or let us know a bit more and we can advise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules