Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari Not Displaying Pictures in Forums

Safari Not Displaying Pictures in Forums
CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2011, 12:34 AM

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I've noticed that in this forum (and I presume any vBulletin forums), there seem to be a lot of 'blank' posts lately. Turns out that the forum is just not displaying some images. If someone posts a picture with the -IMG- tag, Safari doesn't display it. No blue question mark, just...nothing. It happens intermittently, and it displays SOME images, just clearly not ALL.

If I go to edit the post and copy the URL of the image, I can see it. Also, the forum displays images in Firefox, so no image blockers for ISP or anything else. Only extension I'm using is ClicktoFlash. Running Lion, Safari 5.1. Seems to have happened around the time of the Lion install (not surprisingly).

Appreciate any help/ideas.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2011, 02:26 AM

I'm seeing this on 10.6, as well.

Also, Safari now goes crazy on animated .GIFs again — that hasn't been the case in ages.

P
Sep 9, 2011, 06:52 AM

I'm seeing this as well, sometimes. I always figured it was something in my rather complicated web of network settings and didn't bother, but maybe it's a Safari bug then.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2011, 01:22 PM

I'm getting this a load. Most people here's sigs are blank most of the time. As are many picture posts. Add that to the stupid font issues in Safari, it's firefox here I come for a while I think.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Sep 9, 2011, 01:37 PM

Are there specific posts you can point to to show this? For instance, Are Spheric's and Doc's sig images showing-up for you in this thread?

CreepDogg  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2011, 02:20 PM

No. I see no sig images. I do see them in Firefox. There have been other times where I have noticed sig images, but not at the moment.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2011, 04:06 PM

I've been having this issue for a bit. I assumed the forum was falling apart. Might be Safari 5.

Thorzdad
Sep 9, 2011, 04:18 PM

Is everyone also running Lion? Or are you also seeing this problem in Snow Leopard?

Cold Warrior
Sep 9, 2011, 07:15 PM

Having this issue in lion with safari. It's annoying.

Thorzdad
Sep 9, 2011, 07:42 PM

So...Maybe it's more of a Lion issue? I have Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard and I can't recall seeing any image issues.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2011, 08:00 PM

I'm running Snow Leopard.

-Q-
Sep 10, 2011, 12:37 AM

I've also encountered that issue in Snow Leopard. It's really fun when it's my own post.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2011, 06:41 AM

I find that when I enable AdBlock everyone's sig disappears. Are you guys running AdBlock?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2011, 12:32 PM

No.

This issue affects random images for me. Most often, they're externally hosted images, such as when I post an embedded image from my iDisk—I can look at it in a browser window, but once I submit the post here and it refreshes the page, the image won't show unless I reload the page. That kind of stuff.

Cold Warrior
Sep 10, 2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
No.

This issue affects random images for me. Most often, they're externally hosted images, such as when I post an embedded image from my iDisk—I can look at it in a browser window, but once I submit the post here and it refreshes the page, the image won't show unless I reload the page. That kind of stuff.
Exact same here.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm running Snow Leopard.
Me too. I think it's Safari 5 that's the culprit.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2011, 04:17 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm experiencing the same issue as well. It's definitely something with Safari and Lion. Sometimes if I clear the cache and restart Safari it will display the images. Usually not though. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Chrome never seems to have this problem.

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules