Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Details on 8500 Bus/Proc Speeds...

Details on 8500 Bus/Proc Speeds...
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2002, 12:49 AM

OK, the 8500 came in four different speeds...
120, 132, 150, and 180. Each of those machines had the following bus speeds
40 , 44 , 50 , and 45 MHz.
That much I know, but the rest is confusing. Based on that, I was looking for an 8500/150 to use as a server. I was planning on eventually upgrading the processor to a slow G4. So I wanted an 8500/150 to start with because it has the fastest bus. But I just read that the but speed is controlled by they processor card. Does this mean if I drop a 150MHz processor card in an 8500/120, the bus will run at 50MHz? And does this mean that the bus will run at 50 MHz in any 8500 that I put an upgrade card in? It will make a big difference as 8500/120's go for much cheaper on ebay! :-D

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2002, 06:22 AM

Yes, most if not all upgrade cards allow you to set bus speed via jumpers or DIP switches (and those that have a fixed bus speed wouldn't set it to less than 50 MHz, I guess). On most machines (especially some clones) you can even use up to 55 or sometimes almost 60 MHz, though Apple's machines usually are a bit more limited than clones in that respect. So yes, you might as well get a slower model if you want to upgrade, but you should also take into account that these might have less RAM and smaller drives (though I doubt you are going to use it in it's stock configuration). Especially RAM is worth some money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules