Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple Event ; New iPhone too?

Apple Event ; New iPhone too?
tupsy0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2009, 07:41 AM

The Apple event on the 26th of Jan is said to focus on Mobile products. The Apple tablet, iSlate or what ever is meant to be announced but what I'm wondering is what other mobile products are going to be announced? Could that possibly mean an iPhone upgrade?
I'm hoping to get an iPhone soon so I would like to get the next upgrade as I'll be stuck on a two year contract.
My wish list for the next iPhone could basically be cut and pasted from the new N1 specs
- 3.7" screen (800 by 480) ; not sure about amoled though as I had a Samsung Jet with an AMOLED screen and you could not see it in bright sun light so got rid. iPhone has one of the best screens in the busines for viewing in all lighting conditions and I don't want to see that change.
- 5meg camera with dual led flash (3rd gen led is almost as good as Zenon but used a lot less power and can be used for a video light as well, or an app for a flashlight)
- more memory 32 and 64 gig versions even a sdhc micro slot? (no that's just crazy talk)
- If possible improved battery life always, (as long as it gets me through the day charging it every night is to be expected with a high end smart phone these days)
- on the soft side how about some multy tasking, (not that I need it but it sems to be a big gripe that the iPhone can't). I would like to see flash support though as I think that is all that is missing from the web experiance.
... and that's about it for me. What about you what would like to see in the next iPhone upgrade and more importantly do you think it will be announced on the 26th along with the Apple tablet?
Thanks a bunch for reading my post and any comments.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2009, 07:43 AM

No new iPhone on Jan 26.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2009, 07:50 AM

Possibly replacement of the 8GB 3G by an 8GB 3GS.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2009, 10:24 AM

Maybe a preview of an upcoming software update, but nothing about new hardware. (Well, I wouldn’t write off an 8GB 3GS, but I wouldn’t call that “new”, either.)

tupsy0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2009, 05:39 PM

yeah I wasn't realy expecting an update, just wondered because of the "moble products". So I wonder what other "moble products" Apple plan to announce along side the Apple Tablet?

zacharace
Dec 31, 2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Possibly replacement of the 8GB 3G by an 8GB 3GS.
Interesting...I think this, if anything, would be the only iPhone-related announcement. It just has to be about the Apple Tablet

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2009, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Maybe a preview of an upcoming software update, but nothing about new hardware. (Well, I wouldn’t write off an 8GB 3GS, but I wouldn’t call that “new”, either.)
Yeah, an 8GB 3GS cannot be considered 'new'. It would be boring news, but actually quite possible if it allows Apple to reduce overall manufacturing costs.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2009, 07:11 PM

I could see Apple releasing an 8GB 3GS and doing away completely with the 3G... but they normally don't even mention stuff like this at keynote events. Another thing that I could see being updated is MobileMe... it'd be a great opportunity to heavily upgrade the service.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2009, 07:17 PM

Upgrade to what?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2009, 07:19 PM

Umm, maybe to something that actually offers decent bang for buck.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2009, 07:43 PM

a) as far as I'm concerned, it does - see MobileMe poll thread.
b) what else should they offer? Even more unused storage space? Copious amounts of storage integrated with Time Machine, guaranteeing complete uselessness until everyone's bandwidth is at an adequate level - in 2015? Six or ten or twenty email aliases?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2009, 08:06 PM

There's more than enough they can improve. And there are more than enough people who'd welcome that.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2009, 10:06 PM

a) as far as I'm concerned, it does - see MobileMe poll thread.
b) what else should they offer? Even more unused storage space? Copious amounts of storage integrated with Time Machine, guaranteeing complete uselessness until everyone's bandwidth is at an adequate level - in 2015? Six or ten or twenty email aliases?
As far as I'm concerned, it DOESN'T.

I was referring to new features. Not more of mostly useless features that already exist.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2009, 11:07 PM

I’d like to see a MobileMe Sync API for 3rd parties beyond the Mac-to-Mac connection. I already think MobileMe is worth the (Amazon-discounted) price for iPhone users because of the whole syncing PIM info via the cloud. I only have to worry about when I last USB-synced my iPhone when I want to change my music and photo libaries. If they could open something like that up to 3rd parties so changes in your iPhone app propagate to a corresponding desktop app, it’d be fantastic. Of course, they’d need to make the iPhone-to-desktop syncing available over USB too (just like the old Palm conduits), for apps that deal with really large changes or users without MobileMe. And it should be available for The-Tablet-to-desktop sync too.

The other thing is that while I kept typing “desktop” above, I really meant “Mac”. That is, you don’t need a Mac to use an iPhone or MobileMe and you almost certainly won’t need one for The Tablet. But if Apple adds some more Mac-specific hooks into MobileMe, it could make Macs even more appealing to iPhone/Tablet users.

tupsy0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2010, 04:45 AM

That could be a future addition. I have another post asking peoples thoughts on MobileMe. I think the great potential of Mobile Me is in integration between you're desk top/laptop what you have on the cloud/internet and your phone. I think Apple in general take note of user feed back and if it sees a demand and fits in with their over all stratigy they will add it, hopefully.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2010, 05:52 AM

If they are going to preview the tablet through the OS 4.0 SDK, they might show it for iPhone and tablet format. Some of the new stuff in the OS for the tablet might be usable for iPhone hardware too.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 08:48 AM

Copious amounts of storage integrated with Time Machine, guaranteeing complete uselessness until everyone's bandwidth is at an adequate level - in 2015?
Huh ?

I'm already backing up most of my important documents online.
W/o pics, music and videos, I'm easily at 40GB (of course, not using MobileMe).

I have more than adequate bandwidth and speed to even back up music and videos, if I had the storage online. Sure, you have to pay some extra, can't get the cheapest ISP plans, but the bandwidth is for many available today.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 04:42 PM

How many people you know have more than 384 kbps upstream?

How many of those are *mainstream* computer users - which comprise the market MobileMe is aimed at?

If you have 5Mbps upstream, that's great for backing up your movies and music. In fact, you've managed to find a specialized service that offers online backup in such quantities for people connected and savvy enough to want to search out such a service.

Apple (and MobileMe) is about offering options people wouldn't otherwise be using, and MAKING THEM WORK.

High-bandwidth upstream is too rare to make full online Time Machine an option for the tech-blind.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 05:54 PM

Fair enough, but do you really think it will take another 5 years until the online backups go mainstream ?

I don't think it's gonna take all that long.

-t

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2010, 12:02 AM

Wow, did this thread ever veer off course!

I would love to see a 3Gs+ with a front-facing camera, higher-resolution screen (with scaled graphics as grandfathering for original apps), a better battery, higher-res camera, and who knows what else. The 3Gs isn't the pinnacle of mobile tech in my eyes.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2010, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Since EBCDIC View Post
The 3Gs isn't the pinnacle of mobile tech in my eyes.
What is and where when can I buy it ?

-t

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2010, 02:58 AM

What is and where when can I buy it ?

I was working on 8x11-inch mobile tablets for GO/EO, running a resolution-independent object-oriented UI. If a robust mobile cellular network had existed back then we'd have chicklet-sized iPhones with 32-inch screens :-)

Even the Newton 2100 had most of the right ideas but no infrastructure.

Now that we have the infrastructure we're waiting on better battery technology, so our phones will be running social apps to interact with near-by users 24/7, etc.

In the meantime, we wait for incremental changes like - as I previously wrote - "a front-facing camera, higher-resolution screen, ..., higher-res camera". The iTablet will presumably be two steps beyond the iPhone UI with a bigger screen. That you can buy this springtime. And every 12-18 months thereafter.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2010, 11:52 AM

In other words, people are dreaming about something better, but it can't be purchased yet.

-t

anteck
Baninated
Jan 17, 2010, 08:07 PM

My prediction would be - Software Update for Jan 26th (Possibly)

- WWDC In June/July - New 64GB iPhone - Possibly 4G - Perhaps a forward facing camera, mounted behind the screen.

Can't see the resolution increasing, as all apps are designed for the current dimensions... but, could be an Upgrade to OLED design, increasing battery life.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 12:06 AM

(nope)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

davecom
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2010, 12:39 PM

Any thoughts on when a new iPhone will be released? Must we wait until June? I just broke my 3G on some concrete

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by davecom View Post
Any thoughts on when a new iPhone will be released? Must we wait until June? I just broke my 3G on some concrete
Apple never comments on this, and for all we know, the typical refresh cycle hasn't been changed.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 01:26 PM

Seems like they are sticking to their typical refresh schedule.

tupsy0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2010, 03:40 PM

Qustion; why if Apple can blow up standard iPhone/touch apps to fit the iPad screen and resolution, can't they do the same for a larger higher rez iPhone screen? Does that sort of thing only work one way, (like doubling the pixels)?

If they could I'm sure it wouldn't take long for developers to catch up and support it natively. There must be a way, or the the iPhones development will be crippled and it will become dated if it isn't already. After all the screen on a media-centric touch screen phone like iPhone pretty much is the phone and Android phones don't seem to have this problem as they come in all sorts of differing screen sizes and resolutions.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by tupsy0 View Post
Qustion; why if Apple can blow up standard iPhone/touch apps to fit the iPad screen and resolution, can't they do the same for a larger higher rez iPhone screen? Does that sort of thing only work one way, (like doubling the pixels)? \
Huh ? What do you mean ?

The iPhone does NOT have a large, hires screen. There's nothing to "blow up to".

-t

tupsy0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2010, 04:00 PM

Other posts have said Apple can't up the iPhone resolution because of existing apps. In the iPad presintetion it shows how they blow the existing iPhone apps to fit the screen. So I was wondering why they couldn't do the same sort of thing with the iPhone. Then they could give it a larger higher rez screen (say 3.7" and 800 by 400 pixels or some such thing) untill the developers catch up.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 04:12 PM

Other posts have said Apple can't up the iPhone resolution because of existing apps. In the iPad presintetion it shows how they blow the existing iPhone apps to fit the screen. So I was wondering why they couldn't do the same sort of thing with the iPhone. Then they could give it a larger higher rez screen (say 3.7" and 800 by 400 pixels or some such thing) untill the developers catch up.
The iPad has exactly 4 times the resolution of the iPhone, so blowing it up is really easy and uninvolved: one pixel becomes 2 * 2 = 4 pixels.

If you go to a screen size of 800x400, everything will look kind of odd and out of shape, because only some pixels will double, others won't. It just doesn't scale that well if the dimensions change like that.

-t

tupsy0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2010, 05:24 PM

I kinda figured it would be something like that and I guess doubling to 960x640 even if it had a 4" screen would be too much. So do you think the iPhone will never go beyond the current 480x320?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 05:31 PM

I kinda figured it would be something like that and I guess doubling to 960x640 even if it had a 4" screen would be too much. So do you think the iPhone will never go beyond the current 480x320?
Probably not.

The resolution is 160dpi, that's quite high.
I don't see the usefulness of a much higher resolution at the same screen size.

And screen size wise, I don't see the point to make the iPhone bigger than what it is now.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 05:34 PM

What good would that do other than impressing friends with useless numbers?

As it is, text that's too small gets unreadble because it's too small pretty much at the same size as where it'd get too damn small to discern even at higher Rez.

tupsy0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2010, 09:25 PM

Well I am old enough to know that people, most people aren't impressed by useless numbers. But fair point about text getting to small to read or screen size eventually making a phone too big after a point. Just wasn't sure What that point was as their are a few phones coming out with bigger screens and I had a Samsung Jet for a while. It only had a 3.2" screen but a rez of 800x400 and was sharp and clear not hard at all to read. However it also had an OLED screen and when out in the sun you couldn't see a thing on it making the phone virtually useless. So I really hope they don't go that route as some have suggested. Anyway thanks for your coments.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2010, 05:24 AM

Well I am old enough to know that people, most people aren't impressed by useless numbers. But fair point about text getting to small to read or screen size eventually making a phone too big after a point. Just wasn't sure What that point was as their are a few phones coming out with bigger screens and I had a Samsung Jet for a while. It only had a 3.2" screen but a rez of 800x400 and was sharp and clear not hard at all to read. However it also had an OLED screen and when out in the sun you couldn't see a thing on it making the phone virtually useless.
I thought one of the primary benefits of OLED (apart from much lower power consumption, lack of backlight, thinner displays, and much higher shock resistance) is that the brighter ambient light, the brighter the display gets?

tupsy0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2010, 07:44 AM

My experience has been that OLED struggles in bright sunlight. Right now I have an N86 which also has an OLED screen and it's not much better. In doors and at night fantastic but take outside during the day and the colours are all washed out. In the bright sun you can hardly make anything out. It's not so bad with the N86 as the Jet was because it's not touch screen but it's supposed to be a top camera phone and when your out side taking photos and you can't see whats on your screen, well not so good is it.
I've also read alot of reviews of OLED phones on gsmarena.com and they seem to say much the same in bright sun. It's not such a problem with a phone like I have right now but on a touch screen I think it's not acceptible. Just now the iPhone has one the best screens for viewing in all lighting conditions same as my iPod touch I guess.

tupsy0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2010, 03:10 PM

Just been reading Samsung has come up with a new screen it calls super AMOLED. It says it's 5 times clearer and has 20% better vis outdoors.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2010, 03:11 PM

Just been reading Samsung has come up with a new screen it calls super AMOLED. It says it's 5 times clearer and has 20% better vis outdoors.
20% better than no visibility is still bad

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2010, 03:24 PM

That's what the Jet uses.

Active matrix OLED.

tupsy0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2010, 03:27 PM

Yeah I agree. Just shows they're struggling to sort the problem completely... I hope Apple stays clear.

tupsy0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2010, 03:51 PM

That's what the Jet uses.

Active matrix OLED.
Hmm Well I just read it on the Macnn home page that Samsung is about to announce it's first Bada os phone called the Wave and it's centre peice will be the first use of Samsungs 3.3" Super AMOLED screen. Then it goes on to tell about it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2010, 09:02 PM

That's because the Jét has a 3.1" AMOLED, not a 3.3" "Super" AMOLED screen.

edit: rolling eyes at "super", not at you, tupsy

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2010, 09:13 PM

I guess I'm gonna wait for the "Über" AMOLED screen

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 09:38 PM

What are the benefits of AMOLED? I did a quick Google search and some said brightness and color... but in my quick handling of a Nexus One, it seemed to be no brighter than any other phone and the colors weren't anything spectacular. Plus, I think phones' screens are way too bright as it is.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I think phones' screens are way too bright as it is.
Not in direct sunlight, they aren't.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
What are the benefits of AMOLED?
Bam.

YouTube - Samsungs Flexible OLED Screen

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 09:44 PM

But not all AMOLED screens are like that right?

As an aside, why does every YouTube video have to have some early '00 dance music?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2010, 09:50 PM

Because most YouTube users are complete nimrods.

Forum Links
Forum Rules