Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A Land Where Spiders Eat Snakes

A Land Where Spiders Eat Snakes
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 21, 2010, 11:11 AM

Spider eats snake- Local Cairns News | cairns.com.au

Dramatic photographs sent to The Cairns Post this week show a 14cm-long snake entangled in the web of a redback spider.

The snake had apparently died from the spider's poisonous bite, and was off the ground and caught up in the web.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2010, 11:14 AM

Check, please.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2010, 11:34 AM

What the CRAP are either of those animals doing inside someone's house?!?

[Shudder] x 10,000
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2010, 11:40 AM

The Aussie equivalent of a guard dog ?

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2010, 12:48 PM

Red backs, black widows, etc. are just spiders. They'll get in your house no matter how careful you are. Little snakes are able to get in, too.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2010, 01:23 PM

Here in the DR we have to check our shoes before we put them on to make sure a tarantula hasn't decided to take up residence. It's creepy to say the least.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2010, 01:29 PM

Oh I hate hate hate hate hate spiders. So freaking much. lgahldlhahlod o afra[ afgipa fdsoi fdasaepsu

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 21, 2010, 02:42 PM

Not house, place of business.

a receptionist at an electrical firm came in to work on Tuesday to find the snake caught up in the web.

-Q-
Apr 21, 2010, 02:50 PM

Australia: "Where most everything will try and kill you...but we have nice beaches!™"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Oh I hate hate hate hate hate spiders. So freaking much. lgahldlhahlod o afra[ afgipa fdsoi fdasaepsu
I hate flies and mosquitoes more, so I welcome spiders.

hayesk
Apr 21, 2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'm with you, although every spider I've seen where I live is harmless to humans.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I'm with you, although every spider I've seen where I live is harmless to humans.
It's the ones you can't see that you should be worried about.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2010, 04:20 PM

We have black widows, a few tarantulas, and a couple recluse spiders. The only two you have to worry about are black widows and tarantulas, although the tarantulas are very docile. They'll curl up and play dead if you pick them up.

The recluse spiders you only have to worry about if you live in the desert... so, Palm Springs.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2010, 04:59 PM

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the cute little house spiders that eat all the bugs and build webs in the corners of the ceilings and in damp dark places of one's house/apartment.

But damn when they are big enough to be a top predator in an ecosystem I have only one reaction, "Kill it with fire!".
(Actually, in those circumstances I have two reactions. My first reaction is to squeal in horror like a little girl and my second reaction is the above.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2010, 05:51 PM

We have black widows, a few tarantulas, and a couple recluse spiders. The only two you have to worry about are black widows and tarantulas, although the tarantulas are very docile. They'll curl up and play dead if you pick them up.
Yeah, I picked one in Costa Rica while I was in a cafe. The owners found it in the backyard and decided to keep it. I just gently put my hand in the tank and after a minute or so it was fine with my picking it up. I was impressed at just how friendly the thing was. It liked doing the hand-walking thing. It curled up and played dead (in my hand) when the very loud German tourists walked by though.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2010, 06:05 PM

Factoid: The average person swallows 0 spiders per year while sleeping.

Cold Warrior
Apr 21, 2010, 07:13 PM

The recluse spiders you only have to worry about if you live in the desert... so, Palm Springs.
brown recluse likes forests and growth. Saw a guy lose his calf muscle from a brown recluse bite in the forests of southern Georgia (the state). The tissue turned necrotic and had to be removed.

Rumor
Apr 22, 2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
brown recluse likes forests and growth. Saw a guy lose his calf muscle from a brown recluse bite in the forests of southern Georgia (the state). The tissue turned necrotic and had to be removed.
My aunt was bitten by a Brown Recluse in Ukiah, California about 10-15 years ago. Ukiah General Hospital tried to tell her that there were none in the area. She ended up having to be air lifted to UCSF, where they cut a lot out of her leg. Lucky for her, she was between 250-300 lbs at the time otherwise she would have died.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

andi*pandi
Apr 22, 2010, 02:16 PM

yeesh! What's creepy about brown recluses is they're not as distinctive as widows or tarantulas.

The little spider on our bathroom ceiling seems innocent enough though. He can stay.

Forum Links
Forum Rules