Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Yosemite

Yosemite
HamSandwich
Sep 28, 2014, 01:14 PM

Hey,

when is Yosemite going to be released? When are things happening? When will things change?

iOS 8 still confuses, new buttons, new red colors... Nothing fancy.

Anyone noticing?
Pete

P.S. Nothing ever happens.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Sep 28, 2014, 06:32 PM

Three weeks. iPromise. Promise.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
P.S. Nothing ever happens.
Not in your threads anyways...

-t

donaldkepler
Sep 29, 2014, 01:29 AM

Beta version of Yosemite is working quite well. Let's see the full version capability to do the things like messaging, Internet browsing with Safari, modern look and feel with an extraordinary clarity.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 30, 2014, 01:58 PM

I bet some of my reported bugs to Apple, along with my comments about some very misleading changes since 10.9 (given my experiences with the betas), are in the final release.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Sep 30, 2014 at 08:14 PM. )

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2014, 06:28 PM

Beta 4 was just released.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 1, 2014, 07:38 AM

Alright, you're on Beta 4. Let's say that I'm in Album view in iTunes 12. I just want iTunes to play a random song. I've tried every combination of Shuffle On and Repeat On option available and instead of changing to another song, iTunes just repeats whatever is in the Album. Instead, I have to clear Up Next, press the ">>" button, then press the ">||" button, then press ">>" again to get iTunes to shuffle. How can I get iTunes to just shuffle normally in Album view?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 1, 2014, 10:04 AM

And Beta 4 still has many of the unfixed bugs that I've reported from earlier Betas.

Here's a very simple example: on Beta 4, load this thread in Safari. Then click on the Toolbar, and hover the link over any Finder window and then release to save the link to the Finder.
Then click back into Safari, and try to click around and highlight some text. You won't be able to copy the text using Command-C, or use most of your keyboard commands.

(And just so you know it's coming, when you press the volume up/down buttons, you'll see a volume meter pop up, just as in 10.9, but I think the pop-up meter in 10.10 Beta 4 is yucky compared to the meter in 10.9.)

I'm also putting together a list of other bugs that I haven't bothered to report due to unusual reproducibility issues, e.g., Grapher sometimes crashes after use when you do Command-Q and Don't Save... Finder gets bogged down after going back and forth between NeoOffice and Finder documents (something to do with QuickLook).
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 1, 2014 at 12:08 PM. )

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2014, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
(And just so you know it's coming, when you press the volume up/down buttons, you'll see a volume meter pop up, just as in 10.9, but I think the pop-up meter in 10.10 Beta 4 is yucky compared to the meter in 10.9.)
Really? I like it better than before but was actually surprised that they changed it since this wasn't really necessary!
I am more surprised that they changed the volume meter but still not the eject icon (the one the trash changes to when you drag a removable disk) which doesn't fit the design at all any more!

Ham Sandwich
Oct 2, 2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Really?
Yes.

Another question for you Beta users:

Is there any friggin way I can have Calendars open back up to TODAY when I close Calendars and then launch the application again later? I've assumed that I had available time slots twice this week and missed several meetings because I am so used to Calendars opening up to TODAY like on 10.9, and instead it just opens to the last time that I was using it and it totally throws me off and I cannot for the life of me see a preference in Calendars preferences to set it. How do I fix this??

Ham Sandwich
Oct 2, 2014, 07:05 PM

Here's another unfixed iTunes bug: if you are in iTunes Albums view and you play a song in it and then you want to shuffle randomly to a song in another album, you can't. Not unless you clear Up Next and then press ">>" - can anyone see a better workaround?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 8, 2014, 12:22 PM

The latest few Yosemite betas introduced a new bug (actually a "bad feature") into Preview: Shrinking the height of a PDF in Preview causes the top of the display content to shift above the display window, so you have to scroll up after every resize (shrinking).

(Edit: Apparently Beta 5 is available........ )

(Edit 2: Every bug that I have found in Beta 4 is still in Beta 5.)
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 8, 2014 at 12:32 PM. )

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2014, 03:39 AM

The eject icon is now modified in Beta 5 but I found a new small glitch in Beta 5 (might have been there before though):
When you have the dark menu bar enabled then large letters slightly shift in size when scrolling through drop down menus!

Ham Sandwich
Oct 9, 2014, 04:55 PM

Is there any friggin way I can have Calendars open back up to TODAY when I close Calendars and then launch the application again later?
Hi !!

Can someone tell me how to fix this? It's driving me crazy as I keep misplacing so many appointments!

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2014, 06:10 PM

Hi !!

Can someone tell me how to fix this? It's driving me crazy as I keep misplacing so many appointments!
Sorry, I don't know how to fix this - calendar always opens the last day I had open when I closed it!

The latest few Yosemite betas introduced a new bug (actually a "bad feature") into Preview: Shrinking the height of a PDF in Preview causes the top of the display content to shift above the display window, so you have to scroll up after every resize (shrinking).
Just tested this and it doesn't happen here!

Ham Sandwich
Oct 9, 2014, 09:35 PM

Are you serious??

Go to this website: http://www.education.gov.yk.ca/pdf/pdf-test.pdf

Download the PDF - actually nearly any PDF will do.

Open it in Preview.

Grab the PDF from this corner (in red):

and drag it up and to the left. When I do that, it looks like this:

and it's supposed to look like this:

Are you seriously not having this issue? It's 100% reproducible!

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2014, 01:30 AM

Are you serious??

Are you seriously not having this issue? It's 100% reproducible!
Yes!

BUT, I also just downloaded your PDF to make sure we are testing with the same document and I can reproduce the bug there!
With all the PDFs I have locally there is no bug!

edit: I was wrong - I now also found PDFs in my documents folder where I can reproduce it!
So I have some that work fine and others that don't!
I need to do more testing.....

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2014, 02:35 AM

Seems to be an issue with the way Preview handles PDFs!?
A one page PDF with content on the whole page does not have any issues since Preview opens the PDF already zoomed out to show the whole page.
A one page PDF with content only in the upper half of the page (like yours) is opened zoomed in to show only the upper half of the page - there I have the issue!
A PDF with more than one page also has the issue since it is also not opened zoomed out by Preview.

Can you confirm this behavior?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2014, 02:48 AM

Hi !!

Keep Calendar open.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 10, 2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
A PDF with more than one page also has the issue since it is also not opened zoomed out by Preview.

Can you confirm this behavior?

Well Preview fills the available screen a few pixels below the menu bar and a few pixels above the dock for any PDF that I open, it just sets it to full text width so that I can see the left and right margins. So, they're never zoomed out. (I'm not sure what we mean by that... zoomed out how much?) Multipage PDFs also have the same behavior as well on my computer.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2014, 07:08 AM

What I meant was that a "one-page PDF" opens for me zoomed out so I have the complete page visible on the screen...and when Preview does that, I don't have the issue you described!

My theorie was wrong though because that does not always happen - I also have "one-page PDFs" which open in 100% and I have to scroll to see the bottom...and I see the issue there!

So I have a few PDFs with the issue and a few without - seems to be related on how the PDFs have been created!?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 16, 2014, 11:13 AM

And Beta 4 still has many of the unfixed bugs that I've reported from earlier Betas.

Here's a very simple example: on Beta 4, load this thread in Safari. Then click on the Toolbar, and hover the link over any Finder window and then release to save the link to the Finder.
Then click back into Safari, and try to click around and highlight some text. You won't be able to copy the text using Command-C, or use most of your keyboard commands.

Shrinking the height of a PDF in Preview causes the top of the display content to shift above the display window, so you have to scroll up after every resize (shrinking).

(Edit: Apparently Beta 5 is available........ )

(Edit 2: Every bug that I have found in Beta 4 is still in Beta 5.)
Beta 6. Same thing.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2014, 05:49 PM

Beta 6. Same thing.
And final...?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 16, 2014, 06:01 PM

I'll get back to you on that since probably everyone is downloading.

On a completely unrelated note... how the heck did they fit all that power and technology into the 5K iMac?!

Ham Sandwich
Oct 16, 2014, 10:05 PM

I'll get back to you on that since probably everyone is downloading.
EDIT: Nevermind, I found the installer in Launchpad. Delete post.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 16, 2014 at 10:17 PM. )

Ham Sandwich
Oct 17, 2014, 12:19 AM

Yeesh, the installer hung for 2 hours on "About 2 minutes remaining" just like when I installed the first beta.

I mean, really...?

Also, can someone tell me how I can delete one of my old Betas? Yosemite keeps trying to resume a download of an old beta and keeps getting stuck and Launchpad has a permanent empty bar along the bottom of the Dock icon. Can someone fix this?

( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 17, 2014 at 12:32 AM. )

Ham Sandwich
Oct 17, 2014, 09:36 AM

duplicate

Forum Links
Forum Rules