Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Mail, is there a way to delink and email account?

Apple Mail, is there a way to delink and email account?
jeff k
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2015, 02:54 PM

Apple Mail, is there a way to delink and email account from bringing it's incoming emails into the top Inbox?

I'm 13 years with Outlook Express, and I love the Apple Mail feature that brings all my emails from all 5 accounts into the upper left inbox.

However I just created a new account and this one I would like it's emails to NOT go into the top upper left Inbox. I don't think this is possible. I don't see a "delink" feature or anything that would make the emails for one account NOT go into the upper top left. I would prefer for this one account the incoming emails only go into the inbox of that account which is on the lower left pane at bottom.

This is a bit hard to explain, hope someone gest it. Just getting a confirmation that this is not possible thanks.

P
Jun 27, 2015, 09:09 AM

You can set up a rule to move all mails from that account into a special folder. Just make a new folder called "Special account inbox" or whatever, and then set up a rule (in Mail->Preferences->Rules) to filter all emails based on the "To:" address to go to that folder.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2015, 11:27 AM

Thanks P, so you do need Rules?
No way to just have mail exclude one specific account from showing mail to the main inbox?

I'll do rules, but with Outlook I could just create an account for bounces and they would not "pollute" my main inbox. Love the Mail feature, but would love to unlink one account.

P
Jun 27, 2015, 11:37 AM

I'm not aware of any way to just hide one account from all accounts Inbox view.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2015, 09:05 AM

I have a related question. I am using Mail on my new 13" rMBP. On my desktop machine, I have Mail set up with two different GMail accounts, and it lets me move emails from the Inbox to GMail folders/labels I've set up. But on the MBP, when I "move" emails, they disappear from Mail's Inbox, but then pop right back into it after the move. What am I doing differently with Mail on my laptop from on my desktop?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Jun 28, 2015, 04:24 PM

GMail is particular. There is actually a difference in Mail between "IMAP" and "Google IMAP". Check the description of the accounts in Mail prefs.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2015, 07:42 PM

Yep, both accounts are listed as Google IMAP.

P
Jun 29, 2015, 03:19 AM

Hm. Don't know then, but let me check back home some more, if there is some setting to fiddle with.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2015, 09:22 PM

I tried re-doing the accounts, and I tried entering a different (still GMail) account. The system figures out it's GMail and boom, it's Google IMAP...

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jul 1, 2015, 12:35 PM

Funny - I have a problem of a similar nature. Someone in Virginia shares both my first and last name, and while I have a gmail account which is my first and last name @ gmail with a period between the first and last, this person has the same email, but with no period. However, I continually get his email updates from his kids school, Subaru car service appointment confirmations, and more. How do I get the emails to stop coming to me? Thanks.

P
Jul 1, 2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
Funny - I have a problem of a similar nature. Someone in Virginia shares both my first and last name, and while I have a gmail account which is my first and last name @ gmail with a period between the first and last, this person has the same email, but with no period. However, I continually get his email updates from his kids school, Subaru car service appointment confirmations, and more. How do I get the emails to stop coming to me? Thanks.
I'm sure that is whoever is sending the updates just typing the wrong address. The person who has the other address mistyped somewhere. Happens to me All. The. Time.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jul 1, 2015, 10:04 PM

I wish that were the case. Each time I receive one I check the email, and it is the one without the period in between my name. Email is definitely not mine.

andi*pandi
Jul 2, 2015, 10:36 AM

If I recall correctly, the period in the gmail is ignored anyhow.

Dots in Gmail addresses: What happens if you leave out the period?

P is right.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 3, 2015, 05:09 PM

GMail ignores periods in the username part of a GMail address. This plays hob with people who think they're coming up with a different address from one that's taken. And it messes with the person who has the actual address they are trying to use. It's a Bad Thing for users.

On my own problem: when I added the "Move To" button to Mail's toolbar, it now actually moves the items instead of having them bounce back after I try to move them from the "Messages" menu. Good enough for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules