Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How Can I Clean My Smart Cover?

How Can I Clean My Smart Cover?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2015, 06:47 AM

Simple title says it all. I have a 2 year old, almost 3 year old iPad mini and Smart Cover. It was green when I got it, now its dirty and gross. It's not the leather option. Apple.com says to clean with a damp cloth. I tried that and unsurprisingly, it had no effect. I didn't spill anything on it, it's just years of normal gunk. I'm going to try to sell this iPad and it would be a lot easier if it didn't look too gross to touch.

andi*pandi
Nov 16, 2015, 06:26 PM

I would go with formula 409 or other spray cleaners, spray on the paper towel then try a corner and see what happens. A vinegar based cleaner might also be a little gentler than 409.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2015, 07:45 PM

Here's what I did:

I tried warm water and dish soap, rubbing with my fingers. It helped a little but there was still lots of dirt ground in. Then, still using the water and dish soap as lubricant, I THEN hit it with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It work impressively well and got the outside of the case very clean.

I'm not sure how to clean the inside of the case, but it's actually not that bad so I'm just going to leave it as is.

P
Nov 17, 2015, 06:41 AM

Has anyone tried a dishwasher? That seems like it should work.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Nov 17, 2015, 11:29 AM

Reported!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Has anyone tried a dishwasher? That seems like it should work.
I was weary of doing this, I was afraid a cover would go in, and several cover fragment would come out.

P
Nov 17, 2015, 05:44 PM

I'll probably give it a try some time, mine is terribly grimy.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 17, 2015, 07:58 PM

I think the take away here is to clean the thing before it gets gross. Which is advice I sometimes follow myself, especially with my iPhone case...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2015, 11:21 PM

I think the takeaway is to find a cover made out of a better material, like a leather case.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 18, 2015, 11:48 AM

Leather gets dirty too. It isn't as annoying looking as a dirty green synthetic, but it gets dirty too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Nov 19, 2015, 07:12 AM

They should make the covers in teflon. When they switched the earbud cables to that, it made a real improvement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules