Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > PC -- Mac network resources

PC -- Mac network resources
dencamp
Senior User
Jun 3, 2004, 09:44 AM

OK, I'm hoping someone can help out. I have no experience setting up mixed networks so I am at a loss. Here is the deal: My girlfriend has convinced her organization to get her a new G5 for video editing but the network guy keeps telling her that the Mac can't be on the network. Below is the information that she has provided me.
____
We have a Microsoft Exchange server (the equipment is APC 1500). We want to connect to the network on the Mac for file sharing and internet, though not necessarily email�. The router is a Linksys 2.4 Ghz broadband router
___

So, can anyone either point me to a resource that can give a step-by-step setup guide or give advice that I can pass back to the network guy.

Thanks in advance.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 3, 2004, 12:39 PM

She'll need a Airport Extreme card to get access to the Linksys wireless router. If they have some sort of encryption like 128 bit with a hex password the first character in the password will need to be a dollar sign ($) for Macs with Airport cards. File sharing works just fine for the most part. On the Mac she'll have to go under the Apple icon to System Preferences and then sharing. Then turn Windows Sharing on.

As for the email. She can use Apple's Mail program that comes with every mac running Mac OS X. When they go to set it up just make sure the account type is set to Exchange and the tech can plugin the rest of the info.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

dencamp  (op)
Senior User
Jun 3, 2004, 01:32 PM

Thanks Much.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

Forum Links
Forum Rules