Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > People who…

People who… (Page 4)
subego
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
However, I've never been in a traffic accident that involved another driver either...
Interesting qualification.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2011, 10:10 AM

He spends his weekends plowing into walls.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2011, 10:16 AM

Somehow, I've managed to be in traffic accidents only involving another driver.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Interesting qualification.
I hydroplaned off a freeway once and a few years ago I took out a fence row in my Bronco during an ice storm. That's it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
May 9, 2011, 05:27 PM

I fricking hate hydroplaning. It's happened to me twice, once barely raining.

It's the Subaru Achilles heel.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2011, 08:35 PM

I really don't think it has anything to do with Subaru. If you hit a puddle that is too deep, too fast you are going to lose traction. Heavier vehicles will generally deal with deeper puddles or slightly higher speeds but its not like there is a gadget you can fit to stop it happening. Short of a very high temperature flame thrower that evaporates the puddle before impact.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
May 10, 2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. My family was too poor to own a car. When I grew up, I got an education (which I paid for myself) so I could get a good job so that I can afford to buy my own cars.

And I do watch how I open my doors. I just don't act like it's the end of the world when someone dents mine, and I don't expect others to act that way either. The car still drives, which is what I bought it for in the first place. If I was buying a car for showing off, I wouldn't park it in a crowded parking lot.
No getting your car dented would piss anyone off who worked to take care of their things for the long term. Not all of us want to be buying new cars every few years like some of you. I say this because if you really had people denting your car that you planned on keeping for the long hawl... and never got it fixed; you'd notice that a few months to a year after a dent, micro fissures that were on the under side of the paint start to work their way through to the top. Then the paint peels off. Then the metal rusts around the area lifting the paint off all around the area; then rust eats a whole in the body... This happens especially easy on the bumpers minus the rusting part.

dont be smashing people's cars with your doors. And learn how to park without scraping people.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 12:48 AM

Dents happen. My Accord was totalled by hail damage about a month after I got it...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2011, 01:57 AM

Then again, the hail couldn't stop itself from hitting your car. LOL, that one dent on your rear passenger door looked like a small rhino charged it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 02:00 AM

.... I think that one was from the saw falling on it in the garage.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2011, 02:01 AM

oh, you mean when those stupid shelves decided to just come off the wall?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2011, 02:04 AM

.....people who try to tell stories of their family members on public forums. (not that that happens here at our lovely MacNN or anything)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
oh, you mean when those stupid shelves decided to just come off the wall?
Yes. That was like, days after I got it. Lol.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2011, 03:23 AM

American TV or Film producers that treat viewers as ignorant.

Titling , for example, London, as London - England, over a generic shot of Big Ben or The Houses of Parliament !

And Hong Kong - China !
( Last edited by MacNNUK; May 10, 2011 at 04:20 AM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2011, 03:38 AM

American TV News producers that subtitle on screen, interviewees with accents, I can tell what's being said, and so must the subtitler be able to !
( Last edited by MacNNUK; May 10, 2011 at 04:21 AM. )

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2011, 04:29 AM

Car drivers that pull suddenly out in front of you without signalling so that THEY don't have to slow down when approaching another vehicle, forcing you to slow down, and then proceed at a slower speed than you were travelling at !
( Last edited by MacNNUK; May 10, 2011 at 06:39 AM. )

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2011, 04:35 AM

Cyclists in San Francisco and Chicago.

On the Golden Gate Bridge, AFAIK you are not supposed to cycle, or at least give way to pedestrians, yet cyclists silently approach at speed from behind, then yell at you to get out of the way !
Similar in Chicago, on the narrow pathway to the pier from the city.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
Car drivers that pull suddenly out in front of you so that THEY don't have to slow down when approaching another vehicle, forcing you to slow down, and then proceed at a slower speed than you were travelling at !
This is called "traffic".

I hate the assholes that keep coming at full speed on the left lane (right lane for you Britishers) even though they can see your turn signals flashing and KNOW that you're about to pull over to overtake the car in front of you. Instead, you're forced to slam the brakes, losing all the momentum it takes you ages to build up with a loaded van, which also means that you're STUCK behind that slow car/truck, because, the car being loaded, you can't just pull over into the left lane and hit the gas, now.

Of course, my first mistake is actually giving a **** about what happens to the people behind me when I pull over. I should just stop bothering to look and pull over anyway.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 06:07 AM

Similar in Chicago, on the narrow pathway to the pier from the city.
Am I reading this wrong, or are you surprised to see bicycles on the Lakefront Bike Path?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Am I reading this wrong, or are you surprised to see bicycles on the Lakefront Bike Path?
It's not there, it's a narrow path with railings by a busy road which is part of a bridge, under a dark bridge or flyover (underpass?), after you walk through a large grassed up area, I think at the end after the cycle path ends.

It was 2005 !
( Last edited by MacNNUK; May 10, 2011 at 08:12 AM. )

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2011, 06:44 AM

... people who cough without placing their hand over their mouth
... people who park in disabled bays who are not disabled, at least not physically
... people who are always saying "you know what I mean" in conversation or on TV
... people who umm and err on TV, especially paper reviewers, a big problem in the UK
... people who write to forums, etc, in txt speak
... people who don't smile
... people who don't acknowledge when you give way in your car, even if you don't need to

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2011, 08:34 AM

Is this the place where I mention multiquote?

hayesk
May 10, 2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
No getting your car dented would piss anyone off who worked to take care of their things for the long term. Not all of us want to be buying new cars every few years like some of you. I say this because if you really had people denting your car that you planned on keeping for the long hawl... and never got it fixed; you'd notice that a few months to a year after a dent, micro fissures that were on the under side of the paint start to work their way through to the top. Then the paint peels off. Then the metal rusts around the area lifting the paint off all around the area; then rust eats a whole in the body... This happens especially easy on the bumpers minus the rusting part.
Actually I have a few rust spots on my car that aren't anywhere near the dents. The dents are fine. Sand the rust spot, paint it with a little touch up paint, and you are good to go. Expecting someone to pay several hundred dollars or more to get the entire body panel repainted for a tiny accidental dent is ridiculous. That's a lot of money for a tiny accident that hurt nobody and could have happened to anyone.
dont be smashing people's cars with your doors. And learn how to park without scraping people.
I don't.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 10, 2011, 12:28 PM

People who died, died.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 03:53 PM

It's not there, it's a narrow path with railings by a busy road which is part of a bridge, under a dark bridge or flyover (underpass?), after you walk through a large grassed up area, I think at the end after the cycle path ends.
Ok, you're not quite as bad as the tourists who walk on the obvious grassy parts and then complain when they see bikes on the bike trail (what a shocker!), but... that section on the lower level of Lake Shore Drive is actually part of the Lakefront Trail. (link) (link 2 — see box #5)

It's definitely non-ideal; I agree that they should have designed that better, and yes, a lot of the time you do get stuck having to walk over it due to how crowded it gets, but you are on the bike path at that point. Fortunately, they're going to fix it.

... people who cough without placing their hand over their mouth
Agh! People who do cough and put their hand over their mouth! That is the worst thing you could do — every doorknob, or anything else you touch is now a hotbed for germs to spread to anyone else who touches it. Cover your mouth using your elbow pit, a tissue, anything but your hand!
( Last edited by CharlesS; May 10, 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Used Tinyurl to work around the ampersand problem in the link)

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2011, 06:23 PM

People who don't use deodorant.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2011, 06:36 PM

...girls who don't shave

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2011, 09:39 PM

That's kind of odd.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2011, 12:45 AM

be warned:

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That's kind of odd.

Even bald, she was still hot.
- Thomas Paine

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2011, 12:55 AM

Agh! People who do cough and put their hand over their mouth! That is the worst thing you could do — every doorknob, or anything else you touch is now a hotbed for germs to spread to anyone else who touches it. Cover your mouth using your elbow pit, a tissue, anything but your hand!
That's why I always cough onto the back of my hand !

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2011, 01:01 AM

Ok, you're not quite as bad as the tourists who walk on the obvious grassy parts and then complain when they see bikes on the bike trail (what a shocker!), but... that section on the lower level of Lake Shore Drive is actually part of the Lakefront Trail. (link) (link 2 — see box #5)

It's definitely non-ideal; I agree that they should have designed that better, and yes, a lot of the time you do get stuck having to walk over it due to how crowded it gets, but you are on the bike path at that point. Fortunately, they're going to fix it.
There is a jogger and skaters (plus cyclist) on the proposed cycle path image !

Thanks for the comprehensive reply though, it's been at least 6 years since I was there.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2011, 01:01 AM

BINGO

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2011, 03:01 AM

I just open doorknobs with my feet.

Much safer that way.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2011, 03:26 AM

... people who don't wash their hands after using public or restaurant toilets, even when you're also present. First thing they do is deposit germs on the door handle. It would be nice if all main toilet doors opened outwards, so you could push them open with clothed body.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I just open doorknobs with my feet.

Much safer that way.
I use my little finger at the very top or bottom on the grab handle coming out of restaurant toilets.

Or some toilet tissue around the handle.

And wash my hands after tying my shoelaces at home, after all they are at street level.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; May 11, 2011 at 03:33 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2011, 03:49 AM

There is a jogger and skaters (plus cyclist) on the proposed cycle path image !
Hey, there's nothing wrong with joggers and skaters being on a bike path, unless they start complaining about cyclists also being there.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2011, 04:49 AM

Hey, there's nothing wrong with joggers and skaters being on a bike path, unless they start complaining about cyclists also being there.
Until I saved and enlarged the drawing, I thought that they were pedestrians !!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2011, 06:29 AM

I smash my way through public doors with the aid of a big chainsaw. I also use it to shake hands with people.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 11, 2011, 07:16 AM

Cash is awesome. No chance of overdrawing your account and paying bank fees. No chance that the pimply waiter who takes your payment is going to skim your card before handing it back. No chance that The Man will find out what you bought.

But I'm always amazed when I buy something for $7, hand the cashier a ten and two ones, and he hands back the ones because "he didn't need them". Or the cashiers who can't figure out the change until the cash register tells them. (Or the ones that are inclined to do both, and are confused until they punch $12 into the register and realize I wanted a $5 bill back in the first place.) Does anyone know Math anymore?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2011, 07:33 AM

I love when something costs like 9.78 but you hand the guy 10.03 so you can get back a quarter. They look at you like you just performed magic or something.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I love when something costs like 9.78 but you hand the guy 10.03 so you can get back a quarter. They look at you like you just performed magic or something.
Only after they've used the till of course.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2011, 07:53 AM

Cashiers who can't do maths also get to shake hands with the chainsaw.

mindwaves
May 11, 2011, 08:13 AM

Not a person thing, but very annoying - Online slideshows that have to reload the entire webpage (with new ads) just to show the next slide. Just give me all of the ads on a single page so I can scroll down without loading the next slide!

ghporter
Administrator
May 12, 2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Not a person thing, but very annoying - Online slideshows that have to reload the entire webpage (with new ads) just to show the next slide. Just give me all of the ads on a single page so I can scroll down without loading the next slide!
I think it's 50-50 whether those pages are built by amateurs or by people that want maximum ad exposure and do it on purpose. Either way I'm 100% in agreement-and I bolt from those sites whenever I can.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2011, 05:24 PM

People who flip you off after you honk at them for cutting you off without signaling, while they're on the phone.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2011, 06:13 PM

People who nearly kill you on the road without even realising they did anything wrong.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2011, 06:26 PM

been there done that (the almost being killed bit)

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2011, 08:11 PM

My ex winged a guy in a wheelchair once and didn't know it.

She shouldn't be murdered, however I am open to having her locked in a tiny box.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2011, 09:51 PM

How about this one: People that honk the horn at someone who is crossing the street perfectly legally, with the green walk signal and everything, because the driver wants to make a right turn NOW.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2011, 10:18 PM

People who throw sacks filled with live kittens off bridges. Yeah, I saw that this evening, I slowed down to see what the guy was tossing and noticed the bag moving. I told him to hand me the f***ing bag and I drove on to the house. Now I have four of the little guys sleeping in a big box in our bathroom. At least they're old enough to eat solid food, barely. I'm taking them to Noah's Ark tomorrow before any attachment can set in.

Yeah, kicking the sh*t out of that guy would have felt really good.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules