Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > F@H -Gromacs Core for Mac

F@H -Gromacs Core for Mac (Page 2)
reader50
Administrator
May 3, 2003, 03:37 PM

114 is assigned to OSX - only. No Win or Lin. The fact that we are maxing out 114 suggests those OS statistics are badly glitched.

Edit: I've pointed this out on the project forum. There is no way that Macs only have 266 machines active during the last two weeks. MacNN alone probably exceeds that.
( Last edited by reader50; May 3, 2003 at 03:47 PM. )

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2003, 04:18 AM

Looks like we've got a new gromacs WU to crunch on, p909_vill_str0 and it's worth 38 points. I'm having problems with it though. See my post at the project forum for the gory details. Basically the client downloads the core, feels it's out of date, downloads again until it gives up after 5 attempts. We've got a new assignment server as well so maybe something is out of sync. Is this happening with any of your clients that are trying to pick up this new work unit?

jbcool
Senior User
May 4, 2003, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by enola:
I've got p907_villin_fo running about 32.5 minutes per frame. I've got a dual 1 gig. Don't know the exact Motorola model number for the processor but it's got 256K L2 cache and 2MB L3. Bus is 133MHz.
This is about what I am seeing with my DP 800 G4 machine.
I am getting about 38 minutes per frame.

Wondered if I had some issues with my machine when I saw what Shaktai was getting with his single processor machine.
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2003, 05:24 AM

My 26 min per frame times was for the 908 protein. Ran two of them so far and it has been pretty consistent.

Enola, Have you tried just deleting the 909 work unit folder you have and downloading another? It may be a bad work unit or it may be that the work unit itself was corrupted during download.

reader50
Administrator
May 4, 2003, 01:36 PM

Got another 908 from 114 yesterday, have not seen a 909 yet.

From looking at the serverstat page this morning, it appears that we can't get any more gromacs units until guha works on it Monday. 108 and 120 are assigning tinkers, 114 is accept-only, and 144 has been taken off OSX duties.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2003, 02:09 PM

It looks like .114 has stopped issuing work units, but is still receiving them, and .144 which was issuing the 909 has been pulled offline by ViJay because of the core downloading problem. As of this moment, there are no servers issuing Gromacs. If you can't get a Gromacs, switch back to Tinker until they get the problem fixed.

Just a reminder to everyone to vote in the poll at http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=158963 on the number of Mac CPU's you are running Folding@Home on in the last two weeks. (Mac CPU's only please)

Also it would be good to post the number of Macs and the number of PCs you run folding@home on in this thread http://forum.folding-community.org/v...=4312&start=15

The numbers of MacOS Participants being reported by their stats, is questionable and unreasonably low, it has dropped dramatically and we also want them to see that Mac Users also bring a lot of PC's with them.

reader50
Administrator
May 5, 2003, 02:48 AM

PPC Gromacs saves current position on shutdown
[23:38:40] Writing local files
[23:38:40] Completed 60000 out of 250000 steps (24)
[00:35:02] Writing local files
[00:35:02] Completed 62500 out of 250000 steps (25)
[01:31:24] Writing local files
[01:31:24] Completed 65000 out of 250000 steps (26)
[02:44:58] Writing local files
[02:44:58] Completed 67500 out of 250000 steps (27)
^C[03:02:35] ***** Got an Activate signal (2) from OS

Folding@home Client Shutdown.

[Minerva:~/desktop/fold] root# ./fold -local -advmethods -forceasm -runfaster -verbosity 9
Using local directory for configuration

Using local directory for work files

--- Opening Log file [May 5 05:32:59]

[05:33:26] (Starting from checkpoint)
[05:33:27] Protein: p908_vill_rnxfld
[05:33:27]
[05:33:27] Writing local files
[05:33:40] Completed 67924 out of 250000 steps (27)
[06:20:25] Writing local files
[06:20:25] Completed 70000 out of 250000 steps (28)
Notice that it resumed from current step, rather than current frame. Also, I tend to average 57 minutes per frame if the computer is idle. The next frame took 47 minutes.

This means PPC Gromacs would even be suitable for the Screen Saver, frequent shutdowns do not result in loss of work. Once the screen saver is updated to allow -advmethods of course.

I had 'top' running while the client was down, the client really was dead during the down time.
( Last edited by reader50; May 5, 2003 at 02:54 AM. )

Jbaldree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2003, 01:21 PM

Hi reader50

Could you explain what these three additions are?

-forceasm -runfaster -verbosity 9

I could guess on the 2nd and 3rd one, but I would love an explaination. I'm wondering if I should add one or all to a couple of my machines.

Thanks

Jim

reader50
Administrator
May 6, 2003, 12:28 AM

Here are all the command tags available for Folding@home:
  • -advmethods Request new cores or work units that are just out of beta. Currently, this means Gromacs.
  • -config Brings up user configuration choices: user name, team number(s), ask before connecting to internet, use a proxy, preferred work type (no-pref/fah/gah), client priority, whether or not to use assembly loops (optimizations), whether or not to use unit deadlines, and Machine ID (1-4).
  • -delete x Delete work unit #x from work queue, then exit. Use this if the current unit is hanging the client or the box.
  • -forceasm Force assembly optimizations to be used. Gromacs assumes that if it didn't shut down normally last time, it must have locked up the box, and needs to turn the Altivec/SSE/3DNow optimizations off. This tag causes the shutdown check to be ignored, and turns on assembly optimizations if possible. This tag has no effect on Tinker units.
  • -help Print out the available command tags and then exit. The list printed out isn't complete.
  • -license Display the end-user license agreement, then exit.
  • -local Use config files and work units from the client's local directory, rather than ~/Library/Folding@home. Used for multiple client installs, or installs in unusual locations.
  • -pause Finish the current unit, then upload results. Do not fetch new work. Equivalent to SETI's "stop_after_send.txt".
  • -queueinfo Displays Queue.dat info for all 10 work slots. Shows for each unit the current status (READY/FINISHED/EMPTY), unit type (Folding/Genome), originating server, date when the unit was received (GMT), and deadline (if available), then exit.
  • -runfaster This command is not documented on the project site. You do not need to add it to your clients, especially if your stats are near mine.
  • -send x Send unit #x back to server. Exits after trying to send unit (successfully or unsuccessfully). If unit x is not a completed work unit then the client exits without doing anything.
  • -send all Send all completed units back to server. Exits after trying to send units (successfully or unsuccessfully).
  • -verbosity x Sets how chatty the client is, from 1 to 9 (max). If not specified, the default is 3.
  • & Run in nohup mode. Any program launched with this tag on the end will keep running even if the launching process (or launching User) goes away, or logs out. The Terminal can be quit after launching Folding in this way, and the client will keep running.
  • -service (windoze only) Run in service mode. This is the Win equivalent of the & flag, which Windoze does not have.
( Last edited by reader50; May 6, 2003 at 12:46 AM. )

Jbaldree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2003, 11:59 AM

Wow reader!

Thanks!

The mystery of the client is starting to be revealed.

btw, last night I got a tinker after sending a gromac. I've been reading so I know whats going on. Just letting you know that it still has not been rectified yet.

At least it happened pretty fast and didn't try to download gromacs 5 times.

It did download a p663 with 400 frames at about 7.5 min. a frame.

That's on one proc of my dual 1.42 G4.

Oh if your interested. Before the download of the 663, the 908 was taking about 34.5 min a frame.
I really don't know if that's faster or slower for G4 verses pc, but I know you guys crunch those numbers.

To the team! >clink<

Jim

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 01:03 PM

G just announced in the Folding@Home forum that Gromacs 543 and 909 gromacs proteins are now available.

Folks running the -advmethods flag should start getting them again.

The Raven
Forum Regular
May 6, 2003, 01:03 PM

Gromacs for the mac is back

project 534,909

mikkyo
Senior User
May 6, 2003, 03:39 PM

Note that -runfaster does not work on OSX machines.

/OSX-3.25 -local -forceasm -advmethods -runfaster
Using local directory for configuration

Note: Please read the license agreement (OSX-3.25 -license). Further
use of this software requires that you have read and accepted this agreement.

Bad argument: -runfaster
Bad Argument(s) received

Folding@home Version 3.25
Usage: OSX-3.25 [-mode]

modes:
-config Configure user information
-queueinfo Get information on queued work units
-delete x Delete item #x from work queue
-send x Send result #x to server. Use x=all to send all results
-verbosity x Sets the output level, from 1 to 9 (max). The default is 3
-pause Pause after finishing & trying to send current unit
-forceasm Force core assembly optimizations to be used if available
-advmethods Use new advanced scientific menthods (beta)

Please note the above recognized flags and try again.
Press any key to exit.

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2003, 09:16 PM

Just curious... how come there isn't a way to do -advmethods from the GUI or screensaver versions? If the assumption is that all users knowledgeable enough to understand advmethods would want the console version, it's wrong... some of us just like lookin at and dragging around the proteins

Also, how come it isn't possible to run 2 copies of the GUI/SSaver version with different machine IDs on a dual processor Mac like you can on the console version?

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 10:23 PM

This is interesting. One of my PC's just picked up a p909. I thought this would be a 'X' only unit but I guess not. This should give us some interesting comparisons since we can at least compare like for like on different platforms.

Code:
[01:56:20] Project: 909 (Run 7, Clone 7, Gen 0) [01:56:20] [01:56:20] Assembly optimizations on if available. [01:56:20] Entering M.D. [01:56:26] Protein: p909_vill_str0 [01:56:26] [01:56:26] Writing local files [01:56:28] Extra SSE boost OK. [01:56:30] Writing local files [01:56:30] Completed 0 out of 250000 steps (0) [02:02:59] Writing local files [02:02:59] Completed 2500 out of 250000 steps (1)
I've never seen that SSE boost message in my logs before either. Looks like it will finish in about 11 hours on my P4 2.4GHz. Can't wait to see how p909 does on my Mac. The two procs return their Tinker units tomorrow morning so hopefully I'll pick up p909.

reader50
Administrator
May 7, 2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by mkincaid:
Just curious... how come there isn't a way to do -advmethods from the GUI or screensaver versions? If the assumption is that all users knowledgeable enough to understand advmethods would want the console version, it's wrong... some of us just like lookin at and dragging around the proteins

Also, how come it isn't possible to run 2 copies of the GUI/SSaver version with different machine IDs on a dual processor Mac like you can on the console version?
All Folding@home clients use the same crunch cores to process work units. The problem is that the GUI and Saver clients do not provide a way to pass the proper commands to the crunch core. That is the reason why two GUI clients cannot be launched, there is no way to pass the "-local" command to the crunch core. Both instances would try to use the files in ~/Library/Folding@home/.

We need an updated GUI version in order to play with the extra controls. An updated Saver would be useful too, but I do not see how you could run two Savers at the same time.

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 12:11 AM

We need an updated GUI version in order to play with the extra controls. An updated Saver would be useful too, but I do not see how you could run two Savers at the same time. [/B]
Yup, I don't care so much about the Saver, but it'd sure be nice to have a GUI that can pass -local and -advmethods to the core.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by mkincaid:
Yup, I don't care so much about the Saver, but it'd sure be nice to have a GUI that can pass -local and -advmethods to the core.
Post that over in the Folding@Home forum so they know. They have a special section for future client suggestions.

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
Post that over in the Folding@Home forum so they know. They have a special section for future client suggestions.
Another thing worth noting is that once you've got a Gromacs core and WU via -advmethods on the console, you can then later crunch that WU using the GUI. You just need the first run from the console for each WU.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 03:07 AM

I've got a 909 running on both my iBook 600 and My PowerMac 800. It is too early to be certain but while the time per percent is longer, due to the much higher point value, it seems to be faster on points per day. This one is going to be fun to watch.

Very early (and possibly premature) estimates are that on the G3 it matches a fast tinker core, and on the g4 it is "at least" 50% faster then the fastest tinker core. Another 24 hours should give a better picture. This may be more like what we were hoping for from Gromacs. P909 is a 38 pointer.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2003, 03:10 AM

I did something incredibly stupid and have managed to lose the two Tinker units my dual was working on. There went 80 points.

Anyway, that's not why I'm posting. I've got 2 p909s now. Not the way I'd hoped to pick them up but oh well. It took about 39 minutes to complete one step (1 of 250). I don't know if that's good or bad yet.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 03:48 AM

I did something incredibly stupid and have managed to lose the two Tinker units my dual was working on. There went 80 points.

Anyway, that's not why I'm posting. I've got 2 p909s now. Not the way I'd hoped to pick them up but oh well. It took about 39 minutes to complete one step (1 of 250). I don't know if that's good or bad yet.
Bummer! I know the feeling. I usually manage the dumb mistakes during competitions though.

I think I estimated my PowerMac 800 at about 49 minutes per frame so far. That works out to about 11.15 points per day, a noticable jump from 7 points per day for a tinker core. I hope it can hold or better that.

Let us know how your dualie compares to the P4 2.4 on the same protein. That will be an interesting comparision. So far I like this 909 protein.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2003, 10:52 AM

Let us know how your dualie compares to the P4 2.4 on the same protein. That will be an interesting comparision. So far I like this 909 protein. [/B]
I think so far I like 909 as well. According to qd I'll return them Friday evening which is about 63 hours of crunching. That works out to about 14.48 pts/day per processor. Not bad considering the current performance of the Tinker units.

The 909 on the P4 2.4 flies though. It finished in 10.5 hours. It's easily the fastest gromacs unit that PC's picked up. Wish it had picked up another one but it's back to the 542s.

mikkyo
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 04:47 PM

Looks like Athons still rule.

As fot GUI with clui arguements, I hacked around a bunch today and without them adding a way to put in what you want, there is no nice or even hackish way to get the GUI to launch with args. I tried putting the advmethods in the client.cfg even and it doesn't do anything with it.
I found the FahCore launch line in the app itself, but there isn't much room to add CLUI args before knocking the offsets into the weeds.
Heck even if they supported an evironment variable, we could set that before launching via Terminal.
What is sad is it is such and easy thing to add.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
Looks like Athons still rule.
Yep! for now on this project anyway.

Athlon 2400 (upgraded E-machines) estimated at 12.5 hours for P909.

Celeron 1.3 ghz (upgraded from 1.0) estimated at 22 hours for P909.

PowerMac 800 G4 estimated at 75 hours.

iBook 600 estimated at 150 hours.

Will have to watch some of the other proteins. Anybody get a 543 yet?

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2003, 02:44 AM

Will have to watch some of the other proteins. Anybody get a 543 yet?
Yep, I did. Since I'm somewhat new to F@H (I mainly crunch dfold) I'm not sure how to compare it to other proteins. So, here's some of my output: (Quick note, this is on a G4/400 with moderate use while crunching)

Code:
[18:06:59] Trying to unzip core FahCore_78.exe [18:07:00] Decompressed FahCore_78.exe (3217548 bytes) successfully [18:07:00] + Core successfully engaged [18:07:06] [18:07:06] + Processing work unit [18:07:06] Core required: FahCore_78.exe [18:07:06] Core found. [18:07:06] Working on Unit 06 [May 7 18:07:06] [18:07:06] + Working ... [18:07:06] [18:07:06] *------------------------------* [18:07:06] Folding@home Gromacs Core [18:07:06] Version 1.47 (May 5, 2003) [18:07:06] [18:07:06] Preparing to commence simulation [18:07:06] - Looking at optimizations... [18:07:06] - Created dyn [18:07:06] - Files status OK [18:07:06] - Expanded 351897 -> 1761861 (decompressed 500.6 percent) [18:07:07] - Starting from initial work packet [18:07:07] [18:07:07] Project: 543 (Run 3, Clone 90, Gen 1) [18:07:07] [18:07:07] Assembly optimizations on if available. [18:07:07] Entering M.D. ... [18:07:13] Protein: p543_BBA5_N [18:07:13] [18:07:13] Writing local files [18:07:17] Writing local files [18:07:17] Completed 0 out of 500000 steps (0) [22:09:42] Writing local files [22:09:42] Completed 5000 out of 500000 steps (1) [01:01:53] Writing local files [01:01:53] Completed 10000 out of 500000 steps (2) [02:49:45] Writing local files [02:49:45] Completed 15000 out of 500000 steps (3) [04:37:59] Writing local files [04:37:59] Completed 20000 out of 500000 steps (4)
Any idea if this will get done before its due date?

Crunch Something

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2003, 02:56 AM

Yes it should complete by the deadline if you crunch consistently. The deadline is 15 days and it is worth 33 points. I would estimate it will take you 7.5 days.

You can see the point value and deadlines here: http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html

bousozoku
Forum Regular
May 8, 2003, 12:56 PM

My G3/400 and one processor on the dual 800 have a 909. The time per percent is:

G3 115 min.
G4 52 min.

It's not quite as good as the 3x I was getting with the 908.
folding@home is good for you.

reader50
Administrator
May 8, 2003, 11:50 PM

Just got a 909 (38 points) on my G4 350. It complained about "outdated core", but downloaded a fresh core_78 and was happy with it.

Time per frame is 90 minutes, or 6 score per day. Using my Tinker reference speed of 2 score per day:

gromacs on p908 is 56% faster
gromacs on p909 is 200% faster

This is looking much better. I'm seeing a full 3x speedup vs Tinker.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2003, 02:32 AM

My G3/500 iBook just got a 909 which surprised me since this particular client wasn't run using -advmethods. The first percentage point took 108 minutes so I'm looking at about 180 hours to complete at 5.07 points per day. That's pretty much on par with this computer's Tinker unit rate.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 10, 2003, 03:25 AM

My G3/500 iBook just got a 909 which surprised me since this particular client wasn't run using -advmethods. The first percentage point took 108 minutes so I'm looking at about 180 hours to complete at 5.07 points per day. That's pretty much on par with this computer's Tinker unit rate.
They announced today that they were going to start releasing the Gromacs cores for all machines, not just those running -advmethods.

bousozoku
Forum Regular
May 17, 2003, 03:20 AM

This is interesting. One of my PC's just picked up a p909. I thought this would be a 'X' only unit but I guess not. This should give us some interesting comparisons since we can at least compare like for like on different platforms.

Code:
[01:56:20] Project: 909 (Run 7, Clone 7, Gen 0) [01:56:20] [01:56:20] Assembly optimizations on if available. [01:56:20] Entering M.D. [01:56:26] Protein: p909_vill_str0 [01:56:26] [01:56:26] Writing local files [01:56:28] Extra SSE boost OK. [01:56:30] Writing local files [01:56:30] Completed 0 out of 250000 steps (0) [02:02:59] Writing local files [02:02:59] Completed 2500 out of 250000 steps (1)
I've never seen that SSE boost message in my logs before either. Looks like it will finish in about 11 hours on my P4 2.4GHz. Can't wait to see how p909 does on my Mac. The two procs return their Tinker units tomorrow morning so hopefully I'll pick up p909.
I was surprised to finally see a similar AltiVec message on my latest p543.

[07:05:43] Protein: p543_BBA5_ext
[07:05:43]
[07:05:43] Writing local files
[07:05:44] Testing CPU type...
[07:05:44] Done testing.
[07:05:44] Extra AltiVec boost OK.
[07:05:46] Writing local files
[07:05:46] Completed 0 out of 500000 steps (0)

This hadn't happened on any of the others including the one I just got Thursday. I'll certainly be happy to see if it's quite a lot faster.

[EDIT]No improvement. Apparently, it's only a status message to show what was already happening.[/EDIT]
( Last edited by bousozoku; May 17, 2003 at 11:44 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
May 18, 2003, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by Fido in LWD forum:
I'm not looking forward to getting stomped by the AppleJackPack ... We should figure out some way to jack-up our production.

jbcool
Senior User
May 18, 2003, 12:30 PM

Sure is nice to see the dog pack trying to run away. Especially when the bark so loud every time they pass us. The 40.6 days to pass them just seems to much. I am going to need to figure that netboot stuff out so I can add three more machines to the mix.

DAlex you better get to moving as I have decided that you are going to be my next hit and run project.

I found out there are some guys you just don't mess with. There was a time in the past that I liked to push Shaktai off the #1 spot just for fun, now I can't even catch him.
Tag ur it.

bousozoku
Forum Regular
May 18, 2003, 01:08 PM

It's so great to see LWD going the other way. They were running so hard to pass all the Mac teams the first time that they must have broken something. Their output hasn't been the same since then. It could be the first time that overclocking has benefitted the Macintosh platform.

[EDIT] I finally got a Gromacs p543 on my G3/400. It's taking 3 hours 10 minutes per percent compared to 50 minutes on the G4/800 in a dual processor system. [/EDIT]
( Last edited by bousozoku; May 24, 2003 at 11:18 PM. )

The Raven
Forum Regular
May 30, 2003, 04:51 PM

I am going to start moving some of my boxes to fah. But I have a couple??
Can it be run as a service?
Do I need the -forceasm argument?
Thanks for the help.

bousozoku
Forum Regular
May 30, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by The Raven:
I am going to start moving some of my boxes to fah. But I have a couple??
Can it be run as a service?
Do I need the -forceasm argument?
Thanks for the help.
The team would be glad to have you.

If you're talking about running it as a service, I'm guessing that you have Windows boxes and you can do that. I believe that there are instructions on the folding@home web site just for that. If you talking about Mac OS X, there are ways to start at login. There may be ways to start the process earlier but I am unaware of those although someone who has spent years building UNIX daemons could tell us.

The -forceasm flag seems to only be a message to ignore the fact that the process crashed doing a Gromacs work unit. You don't need it, but, depending on crashes (I haven't seen any yet), you may want to use it.

The Raven
Forum Regular
May 31, 2003, 12:33 AM

Well I moved most of the machines over to fah (where most of the teams power seems to be right now).I will be adding a few more this week sometime. Now if Shaktai comes back to folding maybe we can start passing some of the other mac teams.
I am taking aim to be #3 on the team so some of you might want to increase production if you dont want to be passed

Here I come

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 04:28 PM

Well I moved most of the machines over to fah (where most of the teams power seems to be right now).I will be adding a few more this week sometime. Now if Shaktai comes back to folding maybe we can start passing some of the other mac teams.
I am taking aim to be #3 on the team so some of you might want to increase production if you dont want to be passed
Raven, a very impressive increase in production.

It is true I have been off playing elsewhere, but there is actually a method to my madness.

It is likely that I will very shortly be bringing the majority of my power back over to F@H though (at least until beta testing starts). Don't want Mikkyo and Enola to think that they are just going to "blow past me" without a fight.

The Raven
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2003, 01:36 PM

It is likely that I will very shortly be bringing the majority of my power back over to F@H though (at least until beta testing starts). Don't want Mikkyo and Enola to think that they are just going to "blow past me" without a fight.
What beta are you refering to?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 1, 2003, 03:00 PM

Probably Ubero, dFold, and SETI. Also possibly D2OL, not sure what they are up to lately, but a new client was promised when they started getting interested in SARS.

It's going to be Beta Testing Season in the months ahead.

jbcool
Senior User
Jun 1, 2003, 10:16 PM

Here I come
One moment please.
I had to down shift and pull over on the shoulder so I do not get run of the road like what happend to me over at d-fold.
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
Probably Ubero, dFold, and SETI. Also possibly D2OL, not sure what they are up to lately, but a new client was promised when they started getting interested in SARS.

It's going to be Beta Testing Season in the months ahead.
And I of course love to play. Next up is probably Ubero, but I am also keeping my eyes on BOINC (Seti Astropulse and later SETI II) in case they open it up again.

Nothing really important. As a team I think F@H is probably our most important project right now.

Edit: 6/2 - Four boxes are back on F@H. That should be enough to slow down Mikkyo and Enola for a little while, and keep jbcool from getting any ideas about passing me soon. As far as Raven goes? Well I just hope he doesn't run me off the road as he roars by.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Jun 2, 2003 at 12:43 PM. )

mikkyo
Senior User
Jun 2, 2003, 05:48 PM

Edit: 6/2 - Four boxes are back on F@H. That should be enough to slow down Mikkyo and Enola for a little while, and keep jbcool from getting any ideas about passing me soon. As far as Raven goes? Well I just hope he doesn't run me off the road as he roars by.
Don't make me find time to setup these other machines..
It's ok there are only 10..er, 14..wait, 18 of them.
I think I have a shipment arriving this week too...

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
Don't make me find time to setup these other machines..
It's ok there are only 10..er, 14..wait, 18 of them.
I think I have a shipment arriving this week too...
Uhh! You sure Raven didn't hijack them or something? 642 points in 24 hours? Even Cobramac is going to have to crank it up a notch to stay ahead with that kind of production.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2003, 09:54 PM

Uhh! You sure Raven didn't hijack them or something?
I think Raven may have hijacked one of mine. My production has been dropping this week. Not that it matters with the numbers Raven is producing.

Good job, Raven!

The Raven
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 12:46 AM

Here for some more help
Are linux boxes faster running with WINE??
And if so can you point me to some kind of help using it?
Also what speed would you recommend being able to still meet deadlines.I just need to get a small hub and I could add 5 or 6 boxes 233-500mhz ? not sure if it would be worth it though.
Thanks for all your help

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 02:11 AM

Here for some more help
Are linux boxes faster running with WINE??
And if so can you point me to some kind of help using it?
Also what speed would you recommend being able to still meet deadlines.I just need to get a small hub and I could add 5 or 6 boxes 233-500mhz ? not sure if it would be worth it though.
Thanks for all your help
What? More boxes?

Seriously, what kind of boxes are they. I know that a 333 imac can make deadlines no problem. A 233 or 333 intel should not have any problem.

Scott is the WINE expert I think. I believe he has had some good luck with it.

(More boxes! Sheesh!!) Oh well, guess it might be time to rally the troops and go after LWD.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2003, 02:28 AM

MMM, a party

jbcool, I know you have some power, and I've heard these rumors about you expanding your farm. Care to comment?

Shaktai, I think you are going to have to work hard to keep in the top 5, and that's a good thing.

Mikkyo, it's nice that you keep getting more machines, but those Commodore 64s just can't finish WU within the deadlines

Raven, impressive.
Yes, WINE is faster then native linux. I don't know what distro you are running, so I can't even try and help without that info.
If you need a small hub, email me. For $10 I have an 8 port hub that could use a home. Assuming they are worth the electricity, all those machines are good. I'd put anything slower then 400MHz on genome, running under the same team ID. Genome doesn't have deadlines like f@h.

I'm not sure I'm liking all these threats. I might just have to think about getting a response put together...

Edit: Almost forgot! MACGEEK4U, I'M CALLING YOU OUT. I've heard talk about your power, but I want to see it. F@H is altivec optimized and it's performance isn't bad, so come out and play.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

The Raven
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 02:08 PM

getting an error

[03:12:40] Completed 380000 out of 500000 steps (76)

[03:26:10] Writing local files

[03:26:10] Completed 385000 out of 500000 steps (77)

[16:16:28] Writing local files

[16:16:28] Completed 390000 out of 500000 steps (78)

[10:20:30] Writing local files

[10:20:30] Completed 395000 out of 500000 steps (79)

[12:17:58]

[12:17:58] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNKNOWN_ERROR

[12:18:03] CoreStatus = 77 (119)

[12:18:03] Client-core communications error: ERROR 0x77

[12:18:03] Deleting current work unit & continuing...

[12:18:08] + Attempting to get work packet

[12:18:08] - Connecting to assignment server

[12:18:09] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.123).

[12:18:09] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home

[12:18:09] Loaded queue successfully.

[12:18:17] + Closed connections

then after it downloaded the core 5 times

[12:21:40] Entering M.D.

[12:21:51] Protein: p537_BBA5_N in water

[12:21:51]

[12:21:51] Writing local files

[12:21:51] Gromacs error.

[12:21:51]

[12:21:51] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNKNOWN_ERROR

[12:21:54] CoreStatus = 78 (120)

[12:21:54] - Core is not present or corrupted.

[12:21:54]

Folding@home will go to sleep for 1 day as there have been 5 consecutive Cores executed which failed to complete a work unit.

[12:21:54] (To wake it up early, quit the application and restart it.)

[12:21:54] If problems persist, please visit our website at http://folding.stanford.edu for help.

[12:21:54] + Sleeping...

Any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules