Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Overheating w/ Lid Closed?

Overheating w/ Lid Closed?
whoosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 05:10 PM

(from MacNN)
Sleepless ($5) is a utilty that prevents your Mac from going to sleep without needing to change any system settings. The utility also allows PowerBooks to continue to run with the lid closed, although doing so can lead to heat problems in some units.

I wonder, which PowerBooks would be okay to run with the lid closed, and which ones would NOT be ok? I have a 1.25 Ghz PBG4, and would sometimes prefer to run use a keyboard, mouse, and monitor for certain tasks. Has anyone out there actually tried running your PB with the lid closed?

SwissXDesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 06:38 PM

I've got a TiBook 550 (time for an upgrade? ) and after about a minute of lid closed iTunes playing it just switches right off, no going to sleep, nothing.

Having the lid open is an important part of cooling, especially the Titanium PowerBooks, so I don't suggest it. I'm pretty sure it could damage something...

Maybe it's better in the Aluminium ones?

m a r k . h u s e r

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2004, 08:40 PM

I've ran my pb a few times with it closed and I'm not sure why you would need a hack. I just plug all my stuff in (monitor, keyboard, mouse), turn on mirror mode then I close the lid of my pb and wake it up from sleep by using my keyboard and mouse. After I get it running while its closed, I usually open it about 20-30� just so it can cool itself off a little better, but I have read in the apple manuel that clamshell mode is not supposed to be detrimental to your computer (im just paranoid and dont want my stupidity to ruin my computer). Im not sure you really need a hack to do what seems to be standard procedure.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2004, 09:14 PM

maybe sleepless lets you run your powerbook with the lid closed without the need for an external keyboard and mouse and monitor. why you would want this... i have no idea.

krux`
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2004, 10:20 PM

Only thing id be worried about is the heat on the screen itself when its closed.. im sure that can't be good for the screen material to constatnly be heated
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 8, 2004, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by SwissXDesign:
Having the lid open is an important part of cooling, especially the Titanium PowerBooks, so I don't suggest it. I'm pretty sure it could damage something...
Nonsense.

ONLY the Wallstreet PowerBook (1998 PowerBook G3) relied on keyboard cooling. ALL models after that, as well as many before it, allow closed-lid operation, and DO NOT rely on keyboard cooling at all. The thing is, Apple does not support closed-lid operation with no display attached. The ONLY way to do it (the official way) is to attach an external display and keyboard, put the unit to sleep, close the lid, and then wake it with the external keyboard.

tooki

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
maybe sleepless lets you run your powerbook with the lid closed without the need for an external keyboard and mouse and monitor. why you would want this... i have no idea.
Downloading of files overnight? Set up the queue and let it do its thing.

whoosh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 01:09 AM

Thanks to all that replied. My Powerbook is my first Mac ever, as well as my first notebook ever, so I'm still trying to learn the intricacies of both.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 01:41 AM

When I have my Powerbook closed, my fan later on will be on the whole time, turning fast and slow, fast and slow, and than I'll get sick of hearing that. So... I don't work with my laptop closed all the way too many times... I'll leave a gap open, maybe 30 degrees or so.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

whoosh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 05:19 PM

I was also thinking, if I keep the lid closed instead of open just a bit, I'll be saving life on the LCD as well. And my fan runs very quietly in clamshell mode.

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2004, 06:34 PM

Hello,
I sometimes connect my PB to my TV and use it as a DVD player - as I'm sure some of you do. I just bought Apple's BT mouse. Once you run the firmware update, you can use the mouse to wake your computer in closed-lid mode, e.g. when it is connected to the TV. Now, I wanted to play a DVD in closed-lid mode and watch it on my TV, but I am a little concerned of my PowerBook getting very hot and the heat damaging either the screen or the keyboard, or anything else for that matter. Does anyknow if i can play DVDs in closed-lid mode, without a danger of overheating?

Thanks,
BKB.
PBG4/12"/1GHz/1.25GB/60GB//SD/APX/10.3

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 07:51 PM

I would have to go with tooki's post on this one, just scroll up about 6 ot 7 posts and read. I dont get why people have to close their PB all the way n e way, just leave a little open and im sure all will be well.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules