Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!!

Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!! (Page 5)
mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by iluvmypowerbook:
Well they don't send to Australia

I don't know how it worked for you. After entering all my credit card details and Australian address I got a pop up at the end telling me they do not send international and to remove the order from the basket.

So American keep it all to yourself and don't share with the rest of us
I would be perfectly happy to send it to you it you would like. Just let me know by email
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

Marid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by quadraphonic:
FYI.. there's also some listed on eBay as well. Found this for $104.95US + shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...706801341&rd=1

Not sure about it though.. buyer beware? Any names to stay away from entirely?
These aren't SO-DIMM's so they won't work in a PB.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2004, 04:19 PM

72 hours on Fry's ram and all is well.

Lots of data moving, a couple of re-starts and all is good!

2GB is a good improvement. A tiny bit hotter but not too bad.

So glad I waited until the sub $400 to put these sticks in!!
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

walba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2004, 04:28 PM

Ordered 9/10, shipped 9/15, arrived by two-day shipping at the apartment building today (9/20)... too bad it's another long day at work -- I won't be able to install the RAM until maybe 9 this evening. I'm hoping it survives through the work day tomorrow -- my PowerBook is a real workhorse and needs to be completely reliable. I'll report back later.

OJ
Sep 20, 2004, 09:10 PM

I ordered on 9/18 and as of today the status of my order is "back ordered". Anyone in the same boat?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2004, 09:37 PM

I talked to one of the people at Outpost when my order was backordered (I was calling because my order had my old address listed as the shipping address -- apparently a computer glitch). They said that they were getting in shipments about once a week, so I wouldn't think it would take that long to receive it.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Sep 20, 2004, 09:47 PM

2 GB installed and everything's running fine. No issues so far. I also have to say that upgrading the RAm on this PowerBook was easy, much easier than on the ole' 12" iBook.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 10:54 PM

several days in....
1.25G on a revC 12".

anyone else notice their fan on more?
mine was on once or twice in the first two months i've had my pb.
now it's coming on frequently, and the only thing different (that i'm aware of) is...new ram.

anyone else notice this??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2004, 12:07 AM

Do these 'Legacy' 1GB chips use the 'high density, low power and un-stacked' technology found in OEM Samsung and Swissbit 1GB chips? To me, that is more important than price. I do not want things any hotter, and I do not want to hear the fan come on. Anyone know the tech specs outlining the above for these 'Legacy' modules?

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 01:05 AM

Well a friend of mine lives in WA and offered to take the order for me.

So now I'm waiting....and waiting.....and waiting.........

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 08:28 AM

Well a friend of mine lives in WA and offered to take the order for me.

So now I'm waiting....and waiting.....and waiting.........
WA as in Western Oz or american WA something? Cause for $260ish AUD I wouldnt mind trying a stick !

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by gsxrboy:
WA as in Western Oz or american WA something? Cause for $260ish AUD I wouldnt mind trying a stick !
WA = Washington State.

But now it's on back order and goodness knows how long I'll have to wait

jocnsoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by StiZeven:
Do these 'Legacy' 1GB chips use the 'high density, low power and un-stacked' technology found in OEM Samsung and Swissbit 1GB chips? To me, that is more important than price. I do not want things any hotter, and I do not want to hear the fan come on. Anyone know the tech specs outlining the above for these 'Legacy' modules?
did you catch my post on page 5, http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...=5#post2193340

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2004, 05:10 PM

Got mine about 5 or so days ago, has been giving me no problems at all. When I first installed it the RAM was not recognized (just put it in the top slot of my 15" PB, the default 256MB stick was in the bottom slot), so then I took both sticks out, put the 1GB on bottom and the 256MB on top, everything was recognized. I suspect I just did not seat it properly the first time. It's a little tricky to get RAM in that bottom slot!

Anyhow it works just fine for me now, I have slept it overnight, ran it off battery, played games on it, everything has been stable. I do not notice any extra heat either, I even played Warcraft III whist on battery power and the fan never came on!

Ruahrc

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2004, 07:00 AM

Oh man!

Just got an email from Fry's telling me they are out of stock and "hope" to ful fill the order within the next 30 days or so

They give me a choice to cancel the order if I want to
PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 09:05 AM

Oh man!

Just got an email from Fry's telling me they are out of stock and "hope" to ful fill the order within the next 30 days or so

They give me a choice to cancel the order if I want to
I got the same email (September, 4), and today I got a mail saying my order had been shipped, don�t worry.

justageek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 10:02 AM

I don't think there's any need to worry. Before ordering online this past Monday I called them. They had 50 on back order at that point and were expecting a large shipment on that day. I got the same email this a.m. that my order was delayed for up to 30 days so I called. The shipment hadn't arrived but was still expected this week.
Just a geek.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by justageek:
I don't think there's any need to worry. Before ordering online this past Monday I called them. They had 50 on back order at that point and were expecting a large shipment on that day. I got the same email this a.m. that my order was delayed for up to 30 days so I called. The shipment hadn't arrived but was still expected this week.

Thanks guys

I'll keep my fingers crossed.....
( Last edited by iluvmypowerbook; Sep 22, 2004 at 05:15 PM. )
PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

snowrider04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 06:52 PM

just recieved my 1G stick from Outpost.com. i'm running a rev.C 15" AlBook. installed it and actually had the same issue Ruahrc had where the chip wasn't recognized in the top slot. i switched the sticks and everything is fine and dandy now.

have let the computer sleep several times and no issues. will be running apps and tests tonight to see if any issues pop up.

so far so good! was a little hesitant at first but finally broke down and ordered the $159 stick.

thanks to everyone in this thread who has posted. it was a major factor in helping me decide on whether to buy it or not. i'm glad i did and now i'm whizzing at 1.5G of ram!

cheers!
15" 1.5ghz Al-Book 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, SuperDrive, 1.5G RAM

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2004, 07:49 PM

congrats. too bad our 12" pb's can't replace our built-in 256mb ram...

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 07:55 PM

sweet!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2004, 08:06 PM

Doh!

If only I had of ordered a day earlier I wouldn't be on back order.

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 12:56 PM

I ordered mine just a minute ago.... 2x: Premium 1GB DDR PC2700 128x64 200Pin - Price: $319.98.. Getting it shipped to a friend in NYC who will forward it to Ireland. No tracking number yet.

Will this ram work in future powerbooks ?
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

snowrider04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 02:02 PM

i installed my 1G outpost.com stick in my machine yesterday. my machine didn't recognize the stick in the top slot. so i switched it to the bottom slot, putting the 512MB stick in the top slot. my machine recognized all of the ram, which is good!

this morning i ran apple hardware test and there was an error on startup with the 1G ram stick. so i went in switched the ram putting the 1G stick in the top slot this time. my system recognized all the ram, i then ran apple hardware test again. there was no error on startup, but when i ran the test it found an error with the 1G stick.

i bumming now because i have a feeling i have a faulty stick. if anyone has any suggestions on further test i should run i would really appreciate it.

walba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 02:30 PM

Running 2.5 days now, including multiple sleeps, with no problems on my 15" 1.25GHz PBook. Activity Monitor shows that I have about 1GB free, so maybe I didn't need to buy two sticks... oh well, it's a great price, and I haven't pushed the system as hard as I sometimes do.

Activity Monitor also shows a much smaller number of Page Outs than before. I don't claim to understand Xbench numbers, but under equivalent circumstances, with 512MB RAM the overall score averaged about 110 with a memory score around 128, and with the new 2GB RAM the overall score averaged about 112 with a memory score around 134.

What's important is that it works. I've had the spinning beach ball briefly and only once, when previously Safari would often bring it up if I kept that app running this long.

The only possible drawback is that I might be running hotter, because the fan does seem to come on more frequently, but I have no solid evidence either way.

William

Originally posted by walba:
Ordered 9/10, shipped 9/15, arrived by two-day shipping at the apartment building today (9/20)... too bad it's another long day at work -- I won't be able to install the RAM until maybe 9 this evening. I'm hoping it survives through the work day tomorrow -- my PowerBook is a real workhorse and needs to be completely reliable. I'll report back later.

justageek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 04:42 PM

Whelp, my new Powerbook just arrived. Just called Outpost again and they still don't have any clue when the next shipment of these dimms is coming in. "Should know by the start of next week..." the guy said.

So I cancelled my order.

Instead, I went to Newegg and ordered Kingmax ram for $196 and $0.99 shipping instead. I could have elected to have this ship overnight guaranteed but what the hey, I know this will be here by Monday at the latest. One more thing, this RAM has a lifetime warranty unlike the 1-year warranty offered by this "hot deal" memory. Sometime to think about. Of course, you could get a 512mb Kingston module for half the price if you wanted real quality.

Here are the details on the Newegg 1gb deal....

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...155-111&depa=0

KINGMAX 200-Pin 1GB DDR SODIMM PC-2700, Model MSAD42D-KI

Model# MSAD42D-KI
Item # N82E16820155111

Specifications:
Manufacturer: KINGMAX
Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
Type: 200-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s
Organization: 128M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime
Just a geek.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by walba:
Running 2.5 days now, including multiple sleeps, with no problems on my 15" 1.25GHz PBook. Activity Monitor shows that I have about 1GB free, so maybe I didn't need to buy two sticks... oh well, it's a great price, and I haven't pushed the system as hard as I sometimes do.

Activity Monitor also shows a much smaller number of Page Outs than before. I don't claim to understand Xbench numbers, but under equivalent circumstances, with 512MB RAM the overall score averaged about 110 with a memory score around 128, and with the new 2GB RAM the overall score averaged about 112 with a memory score around 134.

What's important is that it works. I've had the spinning beach ball briefly and only once, when previously Safari would often bring it up if I kept that app running this long.

The only possible drawback is that I might be running hotter, because the fan does seem to come on more frequently, but I have no solid evidence either way.

William

just quoting this, as i reported here also, am hearing my fan more.
so far, tho, a reasonable price to pay for speed, and workspace!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Tomster
Senior User
Sep 23, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by justageek:
Whelp, my new Powerbook just arrived. Just called Outpost again and they still don't have any clue when the next shipment of these dimms is coming in. "Should know by the start of next week..." the guy said.

So I cancelled my order.

Instead, I went to Newegg and ordered Kingmax ram for $196 and $0.99 shipping instead. I could have elected to have this ship overnight guaranteed but what the hey, I know this will be here by Monday at the latest. One more thing, this RAM has a lifetime warranty unlike the 1-year warranty offered by this "hot deal" memory. Sometime to think about. Of course, you could get a 512mb Kingston module for half the price if you wanted real quality.

Here are the details on the Newegg 1gb deal....

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...155-111&depa=0

KINGMAX 200-Pin 1GB DDR SODIMM PC-2700, Model MSAD42D-KI

Model# MSAD42D-KI
Item # N82E16820155111

Specifications:
Manufacturer: KINGMAX
Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
Type: 200-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s
Organization: 128M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime
Hope you do not have a 17" Powerbook because the Kingmax does not seem to work with that particular model. No issues with the 15's or 12's.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

69camaro
Sep 23, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
several days in....
1.25G on a revC 12".

anyone else notice their fan on more?
mine was on once or twice in the first two months i've had my pb.
now it's coming on frequently, and the only thing different (that i'm aware of) is...new ram.

anyone else notice this??
ditto, Mine used to rarely come on. Now frequently for long periods of time. Right now included.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by 69camaro:
ditto, Mine used to rarely come on. Now frequently for long periods of time. Right now included.

kinda sucks...but guess the trade-off is worth it; i do like the speed i'm seeing opening apps, running multiple apps... looking forward to some projects in logic etc.

oh well...

snowrider04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 08:47 PM

so i buckled down and am returning my faulty 1G stick to outpost. they are shipping me a replacement as soon as the new stock comes in. the person i spoke to on the phone said that there was a 9/20 ship date for their new stock, which she said should arrive in their warehouse any day now.

hopefully the new stick will be solid!

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 09:22 AM

Well I cancelled my Outpost order and went with another US supplier who will ship it directly to me using 2-3 day Fedex International.

It cost me an extra $130 but it comes with a guarantee for Apple PowerBook G4 1.33ghz 12" and a lifetime warranty. Plus a 30 day money back refund.

So I feel a little more comfortable with that.

justageek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Hope you do not have a 17" Powerbook because the Kingmax does not seem to work with that particular model. No issues with the 15's or 12's.
Have a 1.33Ghz 12" PB. I feel more confident with Newegg though. Besides, they have a 30-day return policy.

Outpost has been waiting for their Sep 20th shipment all week now. There's no guarantee that they will even receive the quantity they ordered.
Just a geek.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 10:00 AM

Another thing by the way.

When I placed my order with Outpost a week ago I received their email telling me it was on back order. So naturally I emailed them straight away to ask when they expect the new shipment in. To date i have not received a reply.

That gave me an uncomfortable feeling as to the quality of their service especially given I am in another country.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 03:20 PM

I ordered the KINGMAX from NewEgg on Wednesday, and it's now sitting in my 15". Those little screws were difficult to get out!

NewEgg's shipping for $.99 was (as usual) faster than advertised, and the RAM works perfectly.
â•­1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
â•°2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

walba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 03:32 PM

In my earlier post, I did mention that I noticed the fan on, but this was under unreproduced circumstances (usually I have my PBook resting on a CoolPad, and the fan came on when it was lying flat on the couch).

I just became aware of software (Temperature Monitor) which purports to measure the temperature at various locations. I wish I'd known earlier, because I would have done a thermal comparison just as I did other comparisons with Xbench, before and after adding the new RAM.

I don't exactly feel like going back to 512GB just to make this temperature comparison -- don't fix it if it ain't broke, I always say. But if someone else hasn't installed the new RAM yet, would you please report any quantitative temperature differences before and after installation, using Temperature Monitor or some other app?

Originally posted by 69camaro:

saman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2004, 04:14 PM

does anyone have an update on when outpost is going to have those chips in stock again?

I ordered on the 23rd and my track status is "backordered".

did anyone call to ask when they are likely to get the RAMs delivered again?

thanks for sharing!

Scooterboy
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 11:30 PM

The only time my fan comes on is when running a game at 1024x768 resolution or higher. So that suggests that it's the video card causing the heat issues, at least on my 17". I've had zero problems or issues with this Outpost.com RAM. 2GB and everything works as it should.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 11:45 PM

256MB RAM is enough for right now actually. And I'm running PS, Adium, Safari, iTunes, and Word 2004 with no hiccups. Wonder what 2GB of RAM for this baby will do.
iamwhor3hay

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
The only time my fan comes on is when running a game at 1024x768 resolution or higher. So that suggests that it's the video card causing the heat issues, at least on my 17". I've had zero problems or issues with this Outpost.com RAM. 2GB and everything works as it should.
i run Halo at 1152x786 or something like that and I can barely hear the fan, if at all. I wonder if it's on sometimes.
iamwhor3hay

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2004, 11:59 PM

I think ambient temperature has a much larger effect on fan operation as opposed to this new RAM. Since the case is metal and used to help cool the notebook, even a 5 degree difference in room temp can be the difference between one person whose fan runs a lot and another whose fan never even turns on. Like I said after installing 1GB of this RAM even when playing War3 full screen on battery power the fan never came on, but I was in a cool room while doing so.

Ruahrc

Scooterboy
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 01:18 PM

Yeah, I noticed the fan is on less when I run the air conditioner (I'm in a third floor attic flat). I also have my PowerBook sitting on a wood table. I meant to say that the fan came on just as much with 512 MB RAM.

cybermat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2004, 10:52 AM

For Canadian powerbook users,

Canada Computers (http://www.canadacomputers.com/memory.html) is selling KingMax 1 gig PC2700 So-Dimm for $265 CDN. Since we cannot get the outpost deal, I think this is a pretty good deal for us on the other side of the border. Is anyone currently using KingMax memory? Is it compatible?

Cheers

Tomster
Senior User
Sep 28, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by cybermat:
For Canadian powerbook users,

Canada Computers (http://www.canadacomputers.com/memory.html) is selling KingMax 1 gig PC2700 So-Dimm for $265 CDN. Since we cannot get the outpost deal, I think this is a pretty good deal for us on the other side of the border. Is anyone currently using KingMax memory? Is it compatible?

Cheers
Not with the 17's. Just do a search for kingmax.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

flukewurm
Sep 28, 2004, 07:32 PM

just wanted to give another POSITIVE report for this FRYs ram. ordered on 09/09 - backordered... i watied no more than a week and a half and VIOLA arived on my doorstep with zero email notification that they were finally shipping.

ive been using the ram in my system (with another generic 512mb stick bought from i-forgot-where) for a couple of weeks now and i have had ZERO system crashes. only shut-downs have been for software installs and updates. i ALWAYS put the powerbook to sleep overnight. and she ALWAYS wakes up without crashes.

im happy with 1.5gb - im thinking i wouldnt see much more performance improvement with the extra 512mb.... so im done for now.

now is a waiting game till october - maybe it will be time to trade my 1ghz in for a 1.5 or 1.8 (i NEED the cpu for my softsynths - especially NI reaktor 4. VERY cpu dependant)

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 08:35 PM

Well since its a bit of a hassle to try and get it to oz, I decided to get some corsair locally, works out a bit more expensive, but I got the VS1GSDS400 PC3200 stuff thinking the next *major* rev of the pbook will prob use DDR400 ram and this will drop in... there shouldnt be any dramas using this right?

dave_lister
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2004, 09:41 PM

I'm in au too. How much was the corsair ram, and where did you get it?

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2004, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by dave_lister:
I'm in au too. How much was the corsair ram, and where did you get it?
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index....=AL-VS1GSDS400

Tho I am not getting it directly from there and a little cheaper from a friendly dealer

Will let you know how it goes in a few days... *gulps* always a worry wort about stuff like this !

Edit- Works fine , apple system profiler notes it as pc2700 cl2.5 ....
( Last edited by gsxrboy; Sep 30, 2004 at 07:40 PM. )

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2004, 04:28 PM

My 2x 1gb of ram from outpost is backordered at present.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2004, 04:22 PM

Well this is interesting. I noticed Motion wasn't rendering as much as it did yesterday, so I checked my memory in the "About this Mac" window, and apparantley I have 1.5GB instead of 2GB. Outpost is getting a phone call tonight...
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

Forum Links
Forum Rules