Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RIP, G5 PowerBook

RIP, G5 PowerBook
alimunnik
Jul 26, 2005, 04:53 PM

With today's upgrade to the iBook line, we can now put to rest those faint hopes that a G5 would find it's way inside a laptop before the Intel conversion.
The very modest upgrades to the iBook line specifications (still only 32 VRAM) paves the way for a PB upgrade later this year featuring the 7448 G4 with a Processor speed perhaps as high as 1.80 GHz. This will maintain enough of a performance differential between the two lap top lines to justify the higher prices paid by PB buyers. So it will probably be around mid next year that things will get really interesting with the release of completely revamped note books.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2005, 05:10 PM

yeah, I think everyone was underwhelmed by this update.

evildede
Jul 26, 2005, 05:21 PM

since the ibook already doesn't cost that much it'S not that bad though it could have been a better upgrade.

As for the powerbook, I hope they upgrade it soon as I plan on getting one before year's end and I'd like to buy the best one I can.

irus
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 05:22 PM

Considering the high costs of the form-factor change and the limited life of the remaining PowerBook G4 line, the only upgrades I can see are:
- Speed bump to 1.67 and 1.83 GHz
- 512 MB onboard RAM on 12"
- 128 MB video RAM on 15" and 17"
- Consolidate from 5 to 3 models - DVD burner standard on all models
- 80 GB and 100 GB 5400 RPM HDDs
- US $1500, $2000, and $2500 price points

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 05:33 PM

I don't see how the iBook upgrade has anything to do with any future PowerBook upgrades. There was zero chance that we'd ever see a G5 iBook, and there's still plenty of time for Apple to release another revision to the PowerBook, even one that includes the G5 mobile chips, before the switch.

We still may never see a G5 PowerBook, but this iBook bump doesn't really have any bearing on that.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2005, 06:24 PM

RIP G5 Powerbook?
Since when was it alive?
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

alimunnik  (op)
Jul 26, 2005, 06:26 PM

I disagree that iBook and PB developments are unrelated. Apple could have done much better than today's iBook upgrade, but that would encourage many potential PB buyers to switch to the lower priced product line. Today's upgrade is not significant enough to lure away potential customers with a critical eye towards performance. If the 7448 G4 was available right now to enhance PB performance, Apple would have been more generous in it's iBook upgrade.
I would wager that once Apple upgrades the PB with the 7448 chip later this year they will follow that with a further expedient minor iBook upgrade.

alimunnik  (op)
Jul 26, 2005, 06:45 PM

While it is true that a G5 PB does not exist in fact, it does in the feverish imagination of many a PB user. I myself have tossed and turned restlessly in my sleep for many an hour, fantasizing about getting my grubby little hands on one of those phantom lovelies. The "RIP" is dedicated to a lost ideal rather than something more concrete in fact.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 09:21 PM

The G5 PB was dead long ago.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by alimunnik
While it is true that a G5 PB does not exist in fact, it does in the feverish imagination of many a PB user. I myself have tossed and turned restlessly in my sleep for many an hour, fantasizing about getting my grubby little hands on one of those phantom lovelies. The "RIP" is dedicated to a lost ideal rather than something more concrete in fact.

Go outside.

Forum Links
Forum Rules