Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New MacPro 8-core just died...

New MacPro 8-core just died...
Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2008, 10:56 PM

Yup...

I had been surfing the net for about an hour an a half when the computer started making a buzzing sound (in the past I thought this was the optical drive's bay door rattling). This was different. After about a minute, the buzz ramped up fast and got louder and louder like something bad was going to happen. I went to quit Safari and mail but couldn't quit either (spinning ball) couldn't force quit. Button on the front wouldn't sleep or shut down. Nothing left to do but pull the plug. When I did you could hear this thing whine down like a turbine engine. Baffled, I tried starting it up... same thing only in reverse. Had to pull the plug again but before I did, I pulled the side door off to find the source of the noise... start-up drive. Pulled it out, move drive #2 over to #1 slot and booted up with the Startup disc. Installed the OS and now running the hardware test to see if anything rears its ugly head.

The Apple startup drive is a Seagate 7200.10 (320GB) The second drive that I bought is a Seagate 7200.11 (500GB). Whatever that might mean.

Off to the Apple Store in the morning. Keep you posted.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2008, 09:17 AM

oh lord.
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

Bigfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2008, 03:34 PM

Booked my apt. with the Genius bar last night and hauled my MacPro up to the Apple store this morning. Explained the situation. Told him I did all the work already and if they just want to replace the OEM drive, I'll put it in the 2nd drive bay and leave the one I bought as the startup disk. The Genius went back to discuss with whomever, came back out after fifteen minutes... said they didn't have a replacement drive but they could give me a replacement MacPro.

So thats what we did. I lost a bit of data but nothing that important. Hopefully I have better luck with this new box.

When I put my other drive and ram back in, I'll take a look and see what this OEM drive is.

(Edit: The drive in the new (2nd) MacPro is a Western Digital WD Caviar SE 3200AAJS/320GB)
Overall, this system seems a little snappier than the previous one with the bad Seagate... of course it could have been that the drive wasn't right to begin with.

Oh well, a fresh start.
( Last edited by Bigfoot; Feb 2, 2008 at 05:49 PM. )
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

Forum Links
Forum Rules