Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 16mb or 32mb buffer/cache drive...?

16mb or 32mb buffer/cache drive...?
Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2009, 09:33 PM

I was about to order another drive for audio (Pro Tools) and was wondering about buffer/cache size on various drives...

The 500gb Seagates I see at OWC are 32MB cache drives and the 500gb Western Digital's are 16MB. I poured over the drive specs on the Digi support page for the MacPro and see no reference to this spec so I don't know if it matters or not.

I was going to order another 500gb drive but the 1.0TB drives are pretty reasonably priced. Is either one more efficient for audio?

My 500gb Seagate 7200.11 is starting to make clucking noises on startup and want to head it off at the pass with new drive (this one is 32MB buffer).

1- Does the buffer/cache size matter for recording audio?
2- Suggestions... Seagate or Western? (the factory boot drive on my MacPro is a 320 gb Western Digital Caviar SE
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2009, 04:27 AM

From all I have seen so far 16 vs 32 MB cache does not make a significant difference. Although I'm a pro user, I don't use audio though.

The Seagate Barracuda drives are very nice but I have lost some faith in Seagate's desktop drives with the whole Barracuda 7200.11 firmware snafu.

WD Caviar are certainly excellent drives. If you're worried about heat/noise/power you should look at their Green series. If you're interested mainly in performance make sure to get the Black series.

Check this recent BareFeats comparison too.

Bigfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks. After researching this a while, ended up ordering the WD black 500gb 32cache.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

Forum Links
Forum Rules