Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Soot

Soot
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2011, 01:37 PM

I had a mild-moderate grease fire on the stove. After it was out, even though almost everything seems unharmed, there is a fine layer of soot over most things in the whole apartment. Besides health concerns from carpets and other "sponges" re-leaking the soot in perpetuity, I understand that soot itself is especially damaging to electronics.

Does anyone have experience cleaning computers and other electronics after smoke damage? Any tips? I did my best with compressed air already. TIA

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2011, 02:15 PM

There isn't a lot more you can do short of taking it all to bits and washing it in expensive ESD cleaning products, all while taking ESD precautions.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Railroader
Banned
Jul 24, 2011, 08:51 PM

Insurance claim?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2011, 10:27 PM

Not if its functional. Unless you falsify a report of course.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Railroader
Banned
Jul 24, 2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Not if its functional. Unless you falsify a report of course.
Really, I would think cosmetic damage would play a role in cleanup and replacement.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2011, 06:28 AM

Was there cosmetic damage? I thought the soot had been visibly cleaned off already.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2011, 10:40 AM

The soot was never visible to start with; you have to run a damp cloth over stuff to see it on the cloth, and I'm not rubbing damp cloths on my motherboards just to looky-see. The insurance has already paid out, they told me they understand that it would shorten the life of the circuits significantly, and in many cases (like netbooks etc) they would actually total it solely on the knowledge that it was in the same area as the fire, no evidence beyond that. On the other hand, it's somewhat moot since I reached my coverage limits and they just paid me the limit in cash (it's probably a fair price, my gear is cheaper than it looks; in other words I think I bid correctly when buying coverage).

But I still get to keep the hardware until it actually breaks. And I am trying to still keep it alive as long as possible, even though I already have the money ready for its eventual replacement. Waste not want not, and all that.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 25, 2011, 09:23 PM

So.... there was an insurance claim.

Cosmetic can include unpleasant odors or staining from cleaning.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2011, 05:00 AM

Thats some good insurance. I doubt many would get away with that over here.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 26, 2011, 12:36 PM

Pretty standard in the USA. It would be an exception that that kind of coverage was not included.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2011, 04:18 PM

Yeah I don't understand why it wouldn't be covered. Do they have to test every sock in the sock drawer to know that all socks absorb smoke? They know fires, and they have formulas for what gets damaged by smoke and what doesn't. They're not detectives, they don't have to reinvent the wheel for each fire.

Maybe the disconnect is that they would pay a reduced amount for the depreciation of your asset before the fire. I didn't have to even get into that since I reached my coverage limit either way. So I'm not sure what they would do if they actually had to come up with a number for me.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2011, 07:00 PM

I used to write a lot of insurance reports for hardware and I had a good deal of kit I managed to get working after drops or liquid spills but I knew they weren't going to last. Insurance companies typically wouldn't pay to repair or replace perfectly functioning equipment.

I hadn't really considered they might have policy for smoke as a special case since it can be harmful to your lungs, but for those other circumstances I describe they didn't often pay out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules