Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > You know... I'm glad we went from this to the Silohette adds...

You know... I'm glad we went from this to the Silohette adds...
Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 06:10 PM

I think if Apple would have continued along in this vein of adds for the iPod...
http://www.ellenfeiss.net/movie.php?...ton_morris.mov
I might have bought one of those virus infected creatives

You know... in retrospect... I really forgot how bad some of the switch adds were.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I think if Apple would have continued along in this vein of adds for the iPod...

You know... in retrospect... I really forgot how bad some of the switch adds were.
"ads", not "adds". Use your dictionary.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 2, 2005, 07:18 PM

I'd say you were pedantic if I didn't think you were so anal retentive.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 2, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
"ads", not "adds". Use your dictionary.
one needs a dictionary to acquire such knowledge?
ice

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
one needs a dictionary to acquire such knowledge?
No, but Salty seems rather uninterested in improving his writing, so I thought his dictionary would be a shortcut to at least correct spelling.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 07:27 PM

Its teh intraweb, not english clas.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 2, 2005, 07:28 PM

Ads for silos? Where?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Its teh intraweb, not english clas.
Some people care about not coming across as a dumbass without even making a statement, even on the intraweb.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by effgee
Ads for silos? Where?

I like to add silos.

One silo plus two silos equals....more silos! I think... wait....

budster101
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 07:35 PM

And yet you come across as a dumbass while spelling and punctuating perfectly. Are you done crapping on Salty's thread? The both of you.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 07:38 PM

Hey, I thought it was funny. A little. Maybe. Ok, not really. Sorry.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 2, 2005, 07:39 PM

I like to add silos. One silo plus two silos equals....more silos! I think... wait....

Adding silos is one of my favorites, too! Oh, the coincidence.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 2, 2005, 07:44 PM

... Are you done crapping on Salty's thread? The both of you.

Crapping on someone's thread - hold on just a second. Somehow that reminds me of something ... something along the lines of "sitting in a glass house" and "better undressing in the dark" ...

Oh, nevermind.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 07:48 PM

efgee,

I think you are a very talented person, but if you want to pick a fight with me, I got no beef with you, but do you think what you've posted in here, and whom you are backing up are worth it?

You want to continue crapping in this thread? I tried to post something to get it on a track but you come along and take another dump, and potshot at me.

Edit: Glass house indeed. I'm not even in agreement with Salty most of the time...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 07:54 PM

Adding silos is one of my favorites, too! Oh, the coincidence.

All I want to know is what Ellen Feiss is doing in a silo?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 2, 2005, 08:00 PM

Yo budster, take a deep breath ... what do you think the smilies were for? If I wanted to pick a fight with you you would know because I would have told you straight out - but I didn't say anything of the kind because I don't feel like fighting with you. As simple as that.

Giggle at yourself once in a while, will ya? That was actually the primary reason why I even posted that silo pic upthread. Chicken's typos reminded me of my latest addition to the English language: "debree" instead of "debris" (check the "American construction" thread to see my creation in all its beauty).

And no, I have no beef, pork, poultry or even tofu with you, or chicken for that matter. (And at this point, I wish that Chicken had a different user name because he makes my sentence sound kinda odd)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 08:10 PM

Yo budster, take a deep breath ... what do you think the smilies were for? If I wanted to pick a fight with you you would know because I would have told you straight out - but I didn't say anything of the kind because I don't feel like fighting with you. As simple as that.

Giggle at yourself once in a while, will ya? That was actually the primary reason why I even posted that silo pic upthread. Chicken's typos reminded me of my latest addition to the English language: "debree" instead of "debris" (check the "American construction" thread to see my creation in all its beauty).

And no, I have no beef, pork, poultry or even tofu with you, or chicken for that matter. (And at this point, I wish that Chicken had a different user name because he makes my sentence sound kinda odd)

SuperChicken? I haven't seen that guy in a long time, although Salty kind of reminds me of him.

SuperChicken *loved* silos, I remember he just wouldn't shut up about silos. Every thread had to have a silo pic, or a silo brought up somehow.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 2, 2005, 08:24 PM

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters." - sneaky adminses.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 08:24 PM

No, but Salty seems rather uninterested in improving his writing, so I thought his dictionary would be a shortcut to at least correct spelling.
He managed to make a post without saying "that said" even once. So that's a start.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 08:27 PM

My lord I am ashamed of my iPod after watching that dude.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
He managed to make a post without saying "that said" even once. So that's a start.
Yeah, I had fun coming up with phrases to replace "that said" once (e.g. the usual: "moreover", "also", "in addition", etc.), but I don't think any of my suggestions were used. Since he really seems to like "that said", I've been thinking of different ways he could say something closer to this phrase, just to keep us on our toes... For example:

"that exclaimed"
"with that spoken"
"with these utterances"
"having declared"
"speaketh he"

It's fun coming up with a list like this...

Granted, I am at least a little strange.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 08:38 PM

Okay, I guess it's kind of my responsibility to re-rail this topic...

He seems like your typical socially awkward kid that age, perhaps he reminds me of me at that age!

He has an amazingly deep voice.

That's all I have to say about that.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 09:30 PM

I love my iPod. It's so versatile. Why have I never seen that ad?

(tired of posting in New Orleans threads,)

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 10:30 PM

Hamilton looks a lot like a good friend of mine from High School. Actually, Elementary school, but I haven't seen him since High School. Same body type. It's kinda wierd to see his Doppleganger... hmmm
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 11:07 PM

besson you may be the first person I ever add to my ignore list

That said, (That one's especially for you guys) I find it funny how this is actually one of the first adds that Apple ever put out for the iPod. And reminds me just how bad the switch adds were. I mean the buzz it created in the community was OK but... honestly it's done the most to make me shy away from telling people I was a Mac user... more than AppleWorks! Though that Jeremiah guy was a pretty good switcher guy, seemed to know what he was talking about... I'd wager he's prolly a Christian too

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 11:30 PM

besson you may be the first person I ever add to my ignore list

That said, (That one's especially for you guys) I find it funny how this is actually one of the first adds that Apple ever put out for the iPod. And reminds me just how bad the switch adds were. I mean the buzz it created in the community was OK but... honestly it's done the most to make me shy away from telling people I was a Mac user... more than AppleWorks! Though that Jeremiah guy was a pretty good switcher guy, seemed to know what he was talking about... I'd wager he's prolly a Christian too

I really want you to be a good Pastor. Seriously. You have a very gentle demeanor which is a rare, and pleasant gift. I can tell you are a very caring person.

So am I, actually. I'm honestly trying to help you. You may not realize it now, but articulate people go so much further in life than people who cannot sound intelligent - I'd imagine this would especially be the case in your profession. There is plenty of time for you to improve upon the shortcomings in your writing and in articulating your thoughts, but you have to choose to take care of business.

I'm just trying to encourage you, but I realize I'm probably doing more harm than good, so I'll lay off.

Really, try to look at this from my perspective. Take a look at your punctuation, compare it to writing you admire. Take a look at the Pastors in this world who you admire, I bet they are sharp and articulate people, right? You are an intelligent guy with something to say. You just need encouragement to "blossom".

Every Christian I've known is a hard worker, they don't think that God will simply give them everything they need without some hard work and effort behind it. I've been impressed with the theology you have under your belt, I've even asked you specific questions because I knew I could learn from you. However, you also need to put hard work into your writing and ability to make a well articulated point.

That's all I have to say.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 01:31 AM

He does indeed have a deep voice.

I'd never seen the Chapelle spoof before. Pretty crude, but what did I expect, really?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2005, 01:35 AM

Saltychicken is giving Athens a serious challenge as the "offical MacNN speling chump".

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Saltychicken is giving Athens a serious challenge as the "offical MacNN speling chump".
Of all the typos you could make...

Unless its intentional

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2005, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Of all the typos you could make...

Unless its intentional
The ones in quotes are intentional. Offical is for the Desktop thread post. Take a closer look at it.

rparke1
Banned
Sep 3, 2005, 03:23 AM

what's a trumpet players best form of birth control?

budster101
Baninated
Sep 3, 2005, 11:03 AM

F*cking A right on dude.

I just got momentarily confused.
The dog ate my real post.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
The ones in quotes are intentional. Offical is for the Desktop thread post. Take a closer look at it.
I figured it was, thus my "its." I thought I was being clever, if not a bit too subtle.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2005, 02:19 PM

I really want you to be a good Pastor. Seriously. You have a very gentle demeanor which is a rare, and pleasant gift. I can tell you are a very caring person.

So am I, actually. I'm honestly trying to help you. You may not realize it now, but articulate people go so much further in life than people who cannot sound intelligent - I'd imagine this would especially be the case in your profession. There is plenty of time for you to improve upon the shortcomings in your writing and in articulating your thoughts, but you have to choose to take care of business.

I'm just trying to encourage you, but I realize I'm probably doing more harm than good, so I'll lay off.

Really, try to look at this from my perspective. Take a look at your punctuation, compare it to writing you admire. Take a look at the Pastors in this world who you admire, I bet they are sharp and articulate people, right? You are an intelligent guy with something to say. You just need encouragement to "blossom".

Every Christian I've known is a hard worker, they don't think that God will simply give them everything they need without some hard work and effort behind it. I've been impressed with the theology you have under your belt, I've even asked you specific questions because I knew I could learn from you. However, you also need to put hard work into your writing and ability to make a well articulated point.

That's all I have to say.
There are ways to help people, pointing out casual typeos is not one of them. Even then, it won't be years, or ever till I'm in a position where having a typeo would cause a significant level of embarrassment in my life as a pastor. Almost every church report I've ever read had some errors in it. Sure I'll proof mine and stuff, unlike my posts. As far as being articulate. I can't say I've had complaints from people talking to me about the way I talk for years. Most people rather enjoy sitting down and talking with me. So I don't feel I have to worry too very much about the way I talk.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2005, 02:33 PM

There are ways to help people, pointing out casual typeos is not one of them. Even then, it won't be years, or ever till I'm in a position where having a typeo would cause a significant level of embarrassment in my life as a pastor. Almost every church report I've ever read had some errors in it. Sure I'll proof mine and stuff, unlike my posts. As far as being articulate. I can't say I've had complaints from people talking to me about the way I talk for years. Most people rather enjoy sitting down and talking with me. So I don't feel I have to worry too very much about the way I talk.

It's not casual typos, it's repeated mistakes that you make that reveal fundamental problems with your use of punctuation and sentence structure. Even though we have corrected your spelling of "ad", you continue to make it. If this was a casual typo, why not fix it? It's even one less letter to type!

The way one writes and formulate their thoughts reveals a lot about their ability to reason and come up with a bulletproof argument. Believe me, your writing is an extension of the way you think and organize your thoughts.

Just because your personal experiences haven't revealed the truth of what I'm saying yet, it doesn't mean this isn't a problem or weakness of yours. Don't take the "good enough" attitude, be the best you can be. Self correct. Don't strive for mediocrity.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 3, 2005, 03:27 PM

He's doing it on porpose, just because it bugs you. I found it slightly funny.

On the internet, believe it or not, it's ok to mispell and improperly punctuate. Nobody is grading anyone in here on that butt you. I would expect most in here are quite educated and wouldn't consider handing in professional work with mispellings in it, and I give a pass to people. Give it a try sometime, you'll look less like a jerk.

For you; Don't strive to be an anal retentive pedantic spell-checking superfreak. Respond to the message not the grammar.

You want to argue this point further? Start your own thread, because now you have derailed his thread for your own purpose. You can name it The 'gram*ar and punctua*ion' thread.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2005, 03:46 PM

He's doing it on porpose, just because it bugs you. I found it slightly funny.

On the internet, believe it or not, it's ok to mispell and improperly punctuate. Nobody is grading anyone in here on that butt you. I would expect most in here are quite educated and wouldn't consider handing in professional work with mispellings in it, and I give a pass to people. Give it a try sometime, you'll look less like a jerk.

For you; Don't strive to be an anal retentive pedantic spell-checking superfreak. Respond to the message not the grammar.

You want to argue this point further? Start your own thread, because now you have derailed his thread for your own purpose. You can name it The 'gram*ar and punctua*ion' thread.
Salty knows that spelling is not the only issue here, sentence structure and punctuation are also an issue.

I'm sorry if this makes me a jerk in your eyes. My original intention was not to harangue him, but to politely point out his misuse of "ad". I realize that I may have gone overboard in responding to his subsequent responses, but I take issue with anybody who thinks that not learning the basics of their language is "good enough", or are in such denial that they think that their repeated mistakes in writing on the internet will somehow not occur in the real world.

As you know, many skills are skills that need repeated practice. One cannot "turn off" bad writing they have made a habit out of making on the internet, and turn on brilliant (or even decent) writing in the real world.

Regardless, I would have stopped and restrained myself from pointing out these sort of mistakes in the future regardless of any of your responses, because I can see that based on his responses this is not a good use of my time. I probably shouldn't have even bothered this time around, he's clearly resigned himself to be content to sound like a 17-year old leet kid.

I'm surprised that somebody with a degree in education would disagree with me so strongly?

As far as my derailing this thread, perhaps I didn't think the topic had a whole lot of depth requiring a lot of focused attention on the subject, but perhaps this was an unfair assumption on my part.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 3, 2005, 03:54 PM

WTF. You know what a PM is right? Instead of derailing his thread, f*cking use it.

I disagree because this is not the place for such things. Not in this thread. I give people of lessor education a pass because I am more interested in their ideas than their grammar. I'm not an elitest, and you are quickly making a reputation for yourself as one. Not a label I would wear proudly.

Just PM the person. I've stopped correcting my father-in-law for his constant problems with grammar and other things, and try to accept his good points... and it isn't easy. Believe me. It isn't.

That last sentence was horrific from a point of view of a person editing it for publication, but for our purposes, it expresses my meaning individually and is almost a trademark of mine.

One's expression of individualism by way of grammar on the internet is more important than obeying the rules of the road for writing.

I only disagree with your persistence and constant corrections which fog every thread you post them in. Otherwise, we're cool.

BTW: This would have been a great thread in and of itself that eclipsed this one. Give it a try.
What was this thread about anyway?

Railroader
Banned
Sep 3, 2005, 03:54 PM

My original intention was not to harangue him, but to politely point out his misuse of "ad".
And here's where you look like an ass/idiot. You aren't politely pointing out his misuse of "ad". You are harping on his misspelling of "ad". You are using words incorrectly to point out another's failings. That, makes you look stupid and uneducated.

It's rather humorous. In most of the threads where you point out another person's mistakes you often make errors too. You say they look uneducated, but you come off as uneducated and looking like an ass.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 3, 2005, 03:57 PM

They were pretty innovative and cool at the time. But mostly they got people talking about and buying Apple Computers. Which obviously was the goal all along.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
They were pretty innovative and cool at the time. But mostly they got people talking about and buying Apple Computers. Which obviously was the goal all along.
True... but watching them looking back... I'm pretty embarrassed. I still love Ellen, and there are a few that are OK. But then there's some people that you're like... do I want people associating those people with my computing platform?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2005, 05:33 PM

And here's where you look like an ass/idiot. You aren't politely pointing out his misuse of "ad". You are harping on his misspelling of "ad". You are using words incorrectly to point out another's failings. That, makes you look stupid and uneducated.

It's rather humorous. In most of the threads where you point out another person's mistakes you often make errors too. You say they look uneducated, but you come off as uneducated and looking like an ass.

We've had this conversation before, and at that time you didn't agree with me with the notion that one doesn't have to be flawless and seemingly perfect to offer valid constructive criticism. Again, I said that if somebody offers you constructive criticism and the first thing you do is put them under a microscope to make some of judgement about whether they can be filtered out, I'm sorry that your tolerance of criticism is so fragile.

Can you only take music lessons from the world's greatest musicians? Can only the world's greatest athletes be your coach? Can you only learn in a classroom setting from a teacher who is completely and utterly brilliant within their field?

Of course not. Part of learning is accepting criticism, no?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by rparke1
what's a trumpet players best form of birth control?

I dunno... There are seemingly hundreds of jokes like this!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2005, 05:58 PM

You are harping on his misspelling of "ad". You are using words incorrectly to point out another's failings. That, makes you look stupid and uneducated.
Just out of curiosity, what words am I using incorrectly?

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2005, 11:39 PM

Just out of curiosity, what words am I using incorrectly?
How bout this, either you stop commenting at all about the "quality" of my writing, which makes you look like a pompous ass (would you like to discuss the concept of voice when writing?) or you'll be on my ignore list from now on.
Again, if after this point I see you commenting about the quality of anyone else's posts as far as their writing mechanics, I will not be reading another word you post, unless people start quoting you. It's irritating, stop it.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2005, 05:27 AM

... I'd wager he's prolly a Christian too
There is no such word as prolly. You may mean probably.

No one is going to seriously look at the content of your posts until you at least put some effort into grammar and spelling. It's an indicator that you don't actually care about what you're typing.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 4, 2005, 07:44 AM

We've had this conversation before, and at that time you didn't agree with me with the notion that one doesn't have to be flawless and seemingly perfect to offer valid constructive criticism. Again, I said that if somebody offers you constructive criticism and the first thing you do is put them under a microscope to make some of judgement about whether they can be filtered out, I'm sorry that your tolerance of criticism is so fragile.

Can you only take music lessons from the world's greatest musicians? Can only the world's greatest athletes be your coach? Can you only learn in a classroom setting from a teacher who is completely and utterly brilliant within their field?

Of course not. Part of learning is accepting criticism, no?
And you still didn't learn. You still look like a dumbass with all of the mistakes in this post as well. I am simply letting you know that you are far from above your own standards.

EDIT: And if you'd read his post you'll see he doesn't welcome the criticism. Your continuance makes you look petty and pretentious. Which is exactly my opinion of you.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 4, 2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Diggory Laycock

No one is going to seriously look at the content of your posts until you at least put some effort into grammar and spelling. It's an indicator that you don't actually care about what you're typing.
There's no word such as lol, jeeze, dunno, blig, or "for shizzle my nizzle", but people use them. It's called "slang".

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2005, 09:37 AM

There' s a difference between slang and not being able to write.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Diggory Laycock

I disagree. There are some formalities in Netiquette (It's been a long time since I've used that word) but I think most people tolerate spelling and grammer issues. When you're typing and trying to make a point on a causual system like this one, it's not a big deal. Now if you're trying to be taken seriously in a different capacity (A forum about programming, or politics, or whatever) spelling and grammer have more impact.

We're here to have fun though, and if someone mis-spell's a word, or uses improper tesnse, it's not a big deal.

If your post, on the other hand is littered with poor spelling, and I have to spend more time trying to decipher it than consider what it's about...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules