Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Would you upgrade? Also rate this deal

Would you upgrade? Also rate this deal
Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2009, 10:41 PM

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...mco=MjE0NjI4NQ

Good deal?

I think I want to upgrade. I have my original MB CD but eh it's pretty beat up cosmetically. I guess I don't have a true reason to upgrade other than wanting to do so, which is why I really want opinions on if the above refurb deal is worth it or not.

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Apr 5, 2009, 10:51 PM

Sure, it's a good deal if you want to save $300 on a 13 inch 2.4GHz MacBook!

But unless you suddenly come in love with the new trackpad, gorgeous display, and easy-to-carry unibody, I wouldn't bother to upgrade. It's just one of those machines that looks great and comes with the newest software that I don't need, my refurbished white MacBook is fine. But, don't worry, it's just how Apple operates, put out something good that everyone likes, then put out a newer version with some added features and charge an extra $300-$600 for it!
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2009, 10:54 PM

Well the price of that one basically brings it to the price of the base model MB which is attractive. But like you said, it really is just something that looks great with the newest software. As far as being operational, my old as dirt white mb does me fine. All I do is surf the web and use word, have never done anything more and never well. It just looks crappy =)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2009, 02:51 AM

Sure it's a great deal!

Great price for a really nice MB. Personally I find the current high-end MB the most convincing MB ever. The regular $1599 price is a bit steep, but with this refurb discount it's a great offer. I have a CD MB I plan on replacing with one of these myself.

Of course the question if you should spend money just to get a clean and nice looking computer even though your old one seems to be doing the job is entirely up to you. Nobody can answer that question for you. The economy could sure use it though.

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Apr 8, 2009, 03:12 PM

Well, it's your life. You decide. If you want a new one, fine.

If your old one serves you well, that's ok too!
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2009, 04:16 AM

I find that as soon as Apple releases a redesign of a product, the previous product suddenly looks outdated.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2009, 06:56 AM

Indeed, I was planning on buying a black Macbook, until the unibody macs were unveiled that is. Now they do look dated compared to the new macs. I still love the blackbook, but the unibody MB[P]s are da bomb
~Mike

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Apr 11, 2009, 03:11 PM

Yeah, they look nice. But that's what Apple wants--to steal our money. Unless you fall in love with some kind of new feature, I don't see any reason to spend money when the older machines still work. It's not like the new machines suddenly disable every older model as soon as one is turned on!
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2009, 03:46 PM

Agreed. All companies do it, but Apple seems to do it particularly well, especially with regard to the aesthetics of a product. The obvious exception here is the 3G iPod Shuffle.

But my mind with computers is, if your old one still works, then keep using it. The longer you use it for, the better value for money it works out to be. However if it's broken or not working properly, and you need a working computer, then don't hesitate to go out and buy the best you can afford.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Apr 12, 2009, 01:30 PM

Yeah, totally right. However, I almost always upgrade my iLife and iWork versions because they are always better with each new version! I fall in love!
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Forum Links
Forum Rules