Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook updates question

powerbook updates question
reemas
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 03:24 PM

i'm looking into getting a new powerbook. but im definately not getting it any time soon. i would say in about 3 - 6 months.

but my question is, is it just my observations, or does apple seem to have lost track of its focus as a computer company? i know they want to cover the whole iLife thing, (i.e. camera's to music) but shouldn't they still focus #1 on their computers? the reason i ask is because they haven't updated their powerbooks and powermacs for quite some time. in fact recently they were asked by the BBB to remove their "world's fastest computer" claims and ads.

i definately want a mac but does anyone else feel that theyre losing a little focus on computers?

as a future purchaser thats not something i want in the back of my mind when i go to get a computer.

any idea on what the deal is with g5 powerbooks? is there an estimate?

thanks.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by reemas:
i'm looking into getting a new powerbook. but im definately not getting it any time soon. i would say in about 3 - 6 months.

but my question is, is it just my observations, or does apple seem to have lost track of its focus as a computer company? i know they want to cover the whole iLife thing, (i.e. camera's to music) but shouldn't they still focus #1 on their computers? the reason i ask is because they haven't updated their powerbooks and powermacs for quite some time. in fact recently they were asked by the BBB to remove their "world's fastest computer" claims and ads.

i definately want a mac but does anyone else feel that theyre losing a little focus on computers?

as a future purchaser thats not something i want in the back of my mind when i go to get a computer.

any idea on what the deal is with g5 powerbooks? is there an estimate?

thanks.
First, This question has been asked a million times on the forums. DO A SEARCH!!!

Second since I'm in a good mood again today and it looks like you are a new switcher to the Mac.I'll answer this question once again.

I would say in about 3-6 months we might see a new powerbook. Probably a refresh to the current line. Apple usually upgrades things according to age. The iMac and eMac are so far the oldest of the group of computers and most likely will be upgraded first. Then it would be the G5 then the powerbooks and last the iBook. I would say they update a family of machines every 8-14 months.

I don't feel Apple has lost focus as a Hardware company at all. This is just the way things work. They always seem to be losing focus but in the end they always come out with something to surprise everyone.

About the G5 powerbook. Keep waiting. I don't think it'll be out until at least 1 more revision of the Powerbook family.

Apple updates things usually according to Age. The powerbooks I believe were updated last sept or Oct. The iMac much longer than that. In the mean time as they come up with updates they are focusing on things like iLife and Music. It's been a while since the updated the iPod as well. I'm waiting for that.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stories you are reading about Apple right now. They are making money and doing well. In regards to the BBB asking Apple to remove the claims of it being the fastest computer I think it is more Jealousy from DELL and Intel. Think about it. If you look at Virginia Techs G5 cluster which has less processors than the 2 in front of it and it is in third place. Imagine what it would be if it had the same amount of processors as the Earth sim in Japan. It probably would be the fastest.

Quick question, lets say you bought a Gateway or a Dell Laptop. Especially with Gateway I would have the thought that they would go out of business in the back of my mind more than I would with Apple not having refreshed there machines yet.
( Last edited by typoon; Apr 6, 2004 at 12:14 PM. )
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 01:28 PM

With regards to Apples hardware development cycles, you can find the time between updates for all the different machines at:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

A brief look will show you that on average each machine is updated every 6 months or so. This holds very true for some lines, and is a bit more inconsistent for others.

For example, Apple updated the Titanium Powerbooks (there were only 15" books at the time) in November 2003, and then 2 months later released the first Aluminum Powerbooks (12" and 17"). It then took then 9 months to update the line up. If you look through, this 9 months was the longest wait in recent PB history.

As another example, you will see very consistent updates in the iBook lineup, with it being updated in April or May, then again in October or November.

One last thing to think about is that Apple has several hardware development teams, not just one. So, it isn't like they have to complete development of the new iMac, and THEN start working on the development of the new Powerbook. Short of rare situations, such as the time leading up to the unveiling of the G5 when a large majority of the hardware development resources were tied up on one main project, there is SIMULTANEOUS development ongoing of different models, not consecutive.

So, what does all this mean for the Powerbook lineup? April 16th will make it 7 months since the latest Powerbook updates. If you go to the revision before that it would mean as of mid april there has only been 1 Powerbook update in almost 16 months. Apple knows this, and I would bet money they are working on a Powerbook refresh to be released sooner, rather than later. I personally feel it will be another G4, and will be out either this month, or at WWDC.

The iBook lineup refresh is a no brainer on Apples part. They have all the current technology they need for an iBook update in the current Powerbooks. The only thing that will hold up the iBook from being updated on its regular schedule will be the fact that they are already to close to the current Powerbooks. Watch for updated Powerbooks, followed rapidly by updated iBooks.

On the desktop side, updated G5 towers will come at some point, then an updated G5 iMac to follow. I don't follow the desktop lineup though so I am just guessing.

I hope this helps!

James

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 01:40 PM

Oh, and typoon hit it on the head... Apple is not in any financial difficulties.

They have over 4 billion dollars in the bank and are basically debt free. One of the main reasons you see low profits each quarter (I think the last quarter their net profit was $163 million or something like that) is that they spend a LOT of money on R&D.

Indeed, through Garageband, iLife, the Virginia Supercomputer, the iPod and through iTunes Apples brand name recognition is probably at the highest it has been in some time. More and more I am seeing computer "geeks" turning to Apple due to the OS and its Unix underlay.

There are always peaks and valleys within an industry. I would say last year was a peak, with the release of the G5, the iTunes music store (and iTunes for windows), and the growth of the iPod. We are only 3 months plus change into this year.

Incidently, just to make you more anxious, Apple has large keynote speeches coming up at NAB on April 18th, and at WWDC on June 27th (???).

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2004, 01:56 PM

James you forgot about the iMac and eMac. both haven't been updated in a while. Much longer than either the iBooks,Powerbooks or G5's. Plus we've already had 1 G5 refresh since it's been released.

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 02:47 PM

Hey Typhoon,

I didn't forget about them, but I don't they will have much impact on the laptops. There could very easily be completely different hardware development teams working on the powerbooks and on the iMacs.

Truth be told, I think Apple is constantly having to hold products back to avoid competing with themselves. For example, I think they could update and release new iBooks tomorrow, but they would compete too closely with the current Powerbooks. Indeed, when they released the new G4 iBooks they crippled the 12" in several ways. It was up to a 900MHZ G3 with 512 L2 Cache. They dropped it to an 800MHZ G4, and lowered the L2 cache to 256. In most non altivec dependant operations this could actual show a decrease in performance, even though it is a G4 chip. Why did they do this? Because the 12" powerbook is only at 1GHZ with 512 L2 cache.

The same thought process could be used for the desktops. The eMacs can not be updated as they will be firmly in iMac territory. The iMacs, which should go G5, would then compete with the 1.6 GHZ G5 tower. There is a trickly down effect, where the tower needs to be at a certain level before the iMac can be updated, and this must be done before the eMac can be updated, etc.

All I am saying is that multiple lines are being worked on at the same time. There is nothing to say that we won't see the towers be updated at the same time the Powerbooks are, followed shortly by the iBooks and the iMacs, etc.

The G5 refresh you are talking about was only to make the single 1.8ghz machine a dual 1.8ghz. Not really a significant update.

Cheers!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 02:59 PM

Definitely one more revision of the G4 before we go G5 (probably running at 1.5GHz or so using Motorola's 7447+ chip).

So if you don't need the newest and greatest, get a deal on the current G4 PowerBooks and it'll definitely last you until the release of the G5.
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by James L:
Hey Typhoon,

I didn't forget about them, but I don't they will have much impact on the laptops. There could very easily be completely different hardware development teams working on the powerbooks and on the iMacs.

Truth be told, I think Apple is constantly having to hold products back to avoid competing with themselves. For example, I think they could update and release new iBooks tomorrow, but they would compete too closely with the current Powerbooks. Indeed, when they released the new G4 iBooks they crippled the 12" in several ways. It was up to a 900MHZ G3 with 512 L2 Cache. They dropped it to an 800MHZ G4, and lowered the L2 cache to 256. In most non altivec dependant operations this could actual show a decrease in performance, even though it is a G4 chip. Why did they do this? Because the 12" powerbook is only at 1GHZ with 512 L2 cache.

The same thought process could be used for the desktops. The eMacs can not be updated as they will be firmly in iMac territory. The iMacs, which should go G5, would then compete with the 1.6 GHZ G5 tower. There is a trickly down effect, where the tower needs to be at a certain level before the iMac can be updated, and this must be done before the eMac can be updated, etc.

All I am saying is that multiple lines are being worked on at the same time. There is nothing to say that we won't see the towers be updated at the same time the Powerbooks are, followed shortly by the iBooks and the iMacs, etc.

The G5 refresh you are talking about was only to make the single 1.8ghz machine a dual 1.8ghz. Not really a significant update.

Cheers!
Didn't they also update the PCI slots in the current G5's to PCI-X or something like that? As well as adding a Dual 1.8 and also upping the installed RAM in the 2GHz?

I could be wrong. But like you said not really a major refresh.

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 04:49 PM

You are probably correct, I didn't look them over that well (I am a laptop kinda guy).

btw, I just realized I have been spelling your name as Typhoon...my bad!

Cheers,

James

Forum Links
Forum Rules