Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ANN: TiVo Desktop / Mac OS X 10.4 Software Fix

ANN: TiVo Desktop / Mac OS X 10.4 Software Fix
iDriveX
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 10:40 PM

Hello-

I recently simplified the process of fixing the TiVo/Mac OS X 10.4 problem. I created two shell scripts. The first one fixes the iPhoto Library issue (no it does not mess with your iPhoto Library), the second one is the broadcaster and fixes the TiVo not seeing your iTunes Library and iPhoto Library. It is a self contained application and I put a flag in the preferences so that it doesn't clutter up your dock. It's all wrapped up in a nice little installer package.

http://www.idrivex.com/tivo.sit

Enjoy. Please report any problems to this thread, not my personal e-mail in case it doesn't work.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by iDriveX
Hello-

I recently simplified the process of fixing the TiVo/Mac OS X 10.4 problem. I created two shell scripts. The first one fixes the iPhoto Library issue (no it does not mess with your iPhoto Library), the second one is the broadcaster and fixes the TiVo not seeing your iTunes Library and iPhoto Library. It is a self contained application and I put a flag in the preferences so that it doesn't clutter up your dock. It's all wrapped up in a nice little installer package.

http://www.idrivex.com/tivo.sit

Enjoy. Please report any problems to this thread, not my personal e-mail in case it doesn't work.
iDriveX -
While I appreciate the work involved in getting this going, I cannot get it to work.

Bax

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 11:40 PM

You'll have to elaborate a little more. Tell me what your setup is like network-wise. What version of TiVo Desktop you are using. If you did a clean install of Tiger or if you did an upgrade install. What exactly doesn't work, the script? The installer? TiVo Desktop? Music & Photos on your TiVo?

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2005, 10:16 AM

You'll have to elaborate a little more. Tell me what your setup is like network-wise. What version of TiVo Desktop you are using. If you did a clean install of Tiger or if you did an upgrade install. What exactly doesn't work, the script? The installer? TiVo Desktop? Music & Photos on your TiVo?
Sorry.

I did an upgrade install of Tiger. I think the problem is that installed your scripts before I tried to install the Tivo Desktop software (I got the Tivo as a gift on Monday - I completely forgot about the Tivo software until Music and Pictures didn't work with your scripts). Now the Tivo Desktop installer gives me an error before it completes the installation. Currently the Tivo does not see the server, but sees the network fine. The network is comprised of a Airport Base Station, Airport Express (for AirTunes) running with 128-bit WEP. The Tivo has a Netgear WG111 wireless USB adapter. Like I said the Tivo see the network, just not the server.

Thanks again,
Bax

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 11:09 PM

Hi Bax,

Under wonderful thing about TiVo is I think they get the claim to fame of having the only Mac OS X 10.3 built installer to error out when installing in Tiger. Luckily though I have an answer for you. Download TiVo Desktop version 1.8 from my website and install it. While you won't have the latest version installed on your computer, there were no new features added in 1.9, and 1.9.1, and atleast it will install for you!

http://www.idrivex.com/tivodesktop.sit

Once you install that and then get that going, use my scripts and all will be well!

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2005, 09:35 AM

Hi Bax,

Under wonderful thing about TiVo is I think they get the claim to fame of having the only Mac OS X 10.3 built installer to error out when installing in Tiger. Luckily though I have an answer for you. Download TiVo Desktop version 1.8 from my website and install it. While you won't have the latest version installed on your computer, there were no new features added in 1.9, and 1.9.1, and atleast it will install for you!

http://www.idrivex.com/tivodesktop.sit

Once you install that and then get that going, use my scripts and all will be well!
I will give it a shot when I get home. Thanks for all your help.

Bax

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2005, 06:35 PM

I tried to install the download off of you site (1.8) and it won't even get past the Installation Check tool. Any other ideas for me? What would happen if I installed it on a PowerBook with Panther and tried to copy over the application?

TIA,
Bax

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 11:19 PM

Well Bax, I hate to give you no options...But I just downloaded and installed the package (1.8) from the link I provided up there on a clean Tiger install and it worked perfectly. Got right back the installation check tool and optimized without error and it loaded into the Sys Prefs. You must have something wrong with your tiger install or something. Also on the TiVo forums I haven't heard anyone having any problems with the installer either. I might investigate this if I were you.

kmsga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2005, 06:11 PM

First of all, thanks for taking care of us OS X folks who want to keep up to date with the software when TiVo does not. I had called TiVo and spoke with a tech support person who was quite rude and basically stated that they don't know when they plan to support OS X 10.4 or TiVoToGo

I got this working without a hitch but I want to make sure it always is running the the background when my iMac starts. Being a fairly new Macs, is there a way to have it start automatically?

Thanks!

Michael

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2005, 01:25 AM

No Problem Michael, Glad to hear you had no problems with it...

In System Preferences, navigate to "Accounts". In Accounts, click the "Login Items" tab. Click the "+" sign in the pane and navigate to where the TiVo Broadcaster is kept (by default in your utilities folder). Then add it on there and it will automatically load everytime your mac starts up.

Unfortunately, with the release of Mac OS X 10.4.1, you can no longer press CMD+H to hide the app, you must minimize it into the dock. I am working on a fix for this.

kmsga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 09:38 AM

Will this start the program even if I am not logged in? We have serveral accounts on our iMac and I would like it to start even if no one is logged in.

Thanks.

MFN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 12:01 PM

Just wanted to Thank You...

I've loved my TiVo for years, and just could not believe that my switch to Mac and upgrade to Tiger had screwed up my TiVo's ability to interact with the Home Networking Option that I purchased. But then I learned that my switch and use of Tiger wasn't the problem - the problem is TiVo! They don't support Mac?!?!

Anyway..I've installed your fix(es), and everything works as it should. I'll be sending off the letter to TiVo immediately as well.

Thanks again!

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2005, 12:15 PM

No this will not start the program if you are not logged in, I'm not that advanced to know how to create a program that loads on startup and runs independent of a user. Perhaps someone more technical than I can jump in here.

mirv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2005, 11:49 AM

Hi. I just bought a new tivo series 2, and was dismayed to find that Tivo doesn't support the Mac very well. I'll send that letter to Tivo. However, I can't get the music sharing to work with either version (1.8 or 1.9) of Tivo Desktop combined with Tivo Broadcaster. Is my Tivo box supposed to recognize the server or am I supposed to type in the IP address? In any case neither worked even though everything seems to be running on the Mac.

mak 1364 0.0 -0.3 170596 6724 ?? S 11:31AM 0:01.04 /Applications/Utilities/tivo broadcaster/TiVo Broadcaster.app/Contents/MacOS/Scriptlet -psn_0_22282241
mak 1365 0.0 -0.0 27820 616 ?? Ss 11:31AM 0:00.01 /bin/sh /Applications/Utilities/tivo broadcaster/TiVo Broadcaster.app/Contents/Resources/Scriptlet.sgui
mak 1366 0.0 -0.0 27268 480 ?? S 11:31AM 0:00.01 mDNS -R TiVoConnect _tivo_servemedia._tcp.

I guess this works for other people?

By the way, you can make applications start at Mac boot time by putting an entry in /Library/StartupItems . Note that TiVoDesktop does this. Search for StartupItems at http://developer.apple.com for more info.

mirv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2005, 11:51 AM

Check out this job posting on the Tivo site:

http://www.tivo.com/cms_static/job_82.html

I don't know how long this has been posted, but it looks like Tivo might be getting more serious about Mac support.

mirv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2005, 12:35 PM

Hey it works now! Since I was getting those errors about adding firewall entries on install, I thought I would try turning the firewall off. Now the tivo sees my mac (sees it by name and no IP address was necessary). Thanks for all of your help here and on the tivocommunity forum.

Now I'd like to figure out the specific firewall entry I should add (rather than just turning off the whole firewall).

morps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2005, 10:27 PM

First, a big thank you. Like others have already mentioned, my letter is going in the mail Monday.

After following the instructions in this thread, Music worked for me, but not photos. When I ran the iPhoto - TiVo Fix, the following error was returned:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.tivo.desktop.plist: file does not exist or is not readable or is not a regular file

It seems that, while I installed Tivo Desktop while under the "<username>" account above, com.tivo.desktop was installed into the <drivename>/Library/Preferences/com.tivo.desktop path (not the ~/Library/Preferences/ path).

However, all that was needed was to move the com.tivo.desktop file from <drivename>/Library/Preferences/com.tivo.desktop to /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.tivo.desktop and the world was perfect. Well, at least my 10.4.2 system could serve up Music and Photos to my Tivo.

I hope this helps others!

Woody
Sep 2, 2005, 07:55 AM

Last night I got my TiVo to connect to the router and make a daily call via the Internet.

So what is my next step to get TiVo Desktop working? I've downloaded both TiVo Desktop and the Broadcaster from iDriveX. So now what do I do?

Many thanks

valeriec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 10:15 AM

I'm looking for the old version, site listed in this thread isn't working for me (tried in firefox & safari).

I'd really like to use my G5 with my tivo, rather than my windows machines (those are really for the kids) all MY media is on my Mac, and I upgraded to tiger months ago.

I'm still trying to get things squared away with my new series 2 tivo. Audio volume is fluxuating on it's own--up and down over and over. Gonna reconfigure the wiring today and see if that helps.

What's with tivo's 3-day wait to download the software necessary to use with to use with the dlw122g usb adapter???

Thanks!

Valerie

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 09:17 AM

I have no problems using the currently-available version of TiVo Desktop for Mac on my machine running 10.4.2. Photos and Music work fine (except for AAC-encoded music files). Despite the warning that the TiVo software doesn't work on Tiger, it'll work on 10.4.2 (confirmed in the various Tivo forums).

Oh, and Valerie, there is a way to get a software update from TiVo sooner - there's a form somewhere on the Tivo website to request an update asap. Don't remember exactly were it is, but I was able to find it once to request the latest version of the TiVo series 2 software (required to make the Windows TiVo desktop software support video transfer).

valeriec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
I have no problems using the currently-available version of TiVo Desktop for Mac on my machine running 10.4.2. Photos and Music work fine (except for AAC-encoded music files). Despite the warning that the TiVo software doesn't work on Tiger, it'll work on 10.4.2 (confirmed in the various Tivo forums).

Oh, and Valerie, there is a way to get a software update from TiVo sooner - there's a form somewhere on the Tivo website to request an update asap. Don't remember exactly were it is, but I was able to find it once to request the latest version of the TiVo series 2 software (required to make the Windows TiVo desktop software support video transfer).
Thanks for the response. Did you have the TiVo software installed before 10.4? I can't seem to get the 1.9.1 version to install. Seems to conk out when installing the scripts. Any way to do it manually? Should be such a simple thing...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by valeriec
Thanks for the response. Did you have the TiVo software installed before 10.4? I can't seem to get the 1.9.1 version to install. Seems to conk out when installing the scripts. Any way to do it manually? Should be such a simple thing...
Use Pacifist.

valeriec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2005, 12:51 PM

Use Pacifist.
Thanks for the advice--worked like a charm! I do so love to have access to my music and photos on my G5.

tritoniadiomedea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2005, 03:13 PM

Use Pacifist.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I found this post via google. I had seen lots of posts on the Tivo sites that you can't use Tivo desktop in Tiger. And read some convoluted fixes. Simply installing Tivo Desktop using Pacifist worked perfect first time.

I want to post this fix far and wide. There are thousands of Mac users out there that want Tivo Desktop and may have even canceled their service due to this problem with the installer.

cheers
jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules