Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Apple Software Company

The Apple Software Company
EMC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 04:39 PM

Apple is traditionally thought of as a hardware company. Indeed, all but a miniscule of their revenue comes from the sales of computers and iPods. Still, it is not the computers that sell the system.

Apple draws consumers to purchase their hardware by providing superior software. In this sense they are a software company.

The iPod sells because of iTunes. There would be no 82% market share if you had to run WinAMP and real player to transfer files to your iPod.

The Mac sells because of the Mac OS. Imagine Apple's marketshare if Macs could only run windows. An inferior processor with limited customization in an amazingly pretty box, that costs much more than any competitor. Screw that. I could build a top-of-the line intel box for $700, but I have a mac because I prefer the OS.

The current business model is plain corporate evil. Apple uses PowerPC chips not because they are superior, but because they can create a virtual monopoly over their operating system.

Now it is the time for the final coup de gras. Microsoft is at it's lowest point ever. They can't ship a modern operating system for the life of them as they are bogged down by a ridulous, proprietary bunch of spagetti code, programmed with poor oversight and a hatred of open standards. Apple is posed to become more than a hardware and software company, but a company that brings balance to the force, as they decapitate Microsoft.

You will be able to purchase a Mac with an Intel Processor, that is superior in hardware to anything else. Furthermore, you will be able to buy the Mac OS for intel hardware. Just expect the cost to be more like $300 a pop, instead of the typical $120. Perhaps you get the $120 OS if you can show proof of owning an Apple-branded Mac. What will happen is two-fold. First, Mac hardware will sell with similar Marketshare to what they do today. But, Microsoft software sales will drop substantially. Many people will use Mac OS X on white boxes, and they will pay as much as Longhorn to do so. Then, you will see the Apple sales pitches marketing superior support and performance with an all Apple system. Just like half the population services their cars at the dealers (for much more $$$), people will buy Apple all the way, and hardware marketshare will increase too. This dual revenue source will raise Apple to new heights, and hopefully the management will always be pro-consumer, because I'd hate to see one Microsoft removed to be replaced by another.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 04:41 PM

Honestly I buy Mac's because of the software AND the awesome looking hardware. Doesn't make much of a dif if a pentium chip is in there.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Honestly I buy Mac's because of the software AND the awesome looking hardware. Doesn't make much of a dif if a pentium chip is in there.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:02 PM

Now it is the time for the final coup de gras. Microsoft is at it's lowest point ever. They can't ship a modern operating system for the life of them as they are bogged down by a ridulous, proprietary bunch of spagetti code, programmed with poor oversight and a hatred of open standards. Apple is posed to become more than a hardware and software company, but a company that brings balance to the force, as they decapitate Microsoft.
I'd love to think that today is the beginning of the end for windows, but I think it's much to soon to tell. Microsoft is about ten times bigger than Apple, and isn't going anywhere soon. The business market isn't going to wake up a year from now and decided Microsoft sucks and surf over to http://store.apple.com.

The Computer industry is much too complicated to predict and armchair CEO.

1. Apple releases Leopard for off the shelf PCs
2. Windows fails!
3. Profit!

ImpulseResponse

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
I'd love to think that today is the beginning of the end for windows, but I think it's much to soon to tell. Microsoft is about ten times bigger than Apple, and isn't going anywhere soon. The business market isn't going to wake up a year from now and decided Microsoft sucks and surf over to http://store.apple.com.

2. Windows fails!
3. Profit!
No not really, Apple makes money off HARDWARE sales not selling the OS. Sure if 30% of PC users bought OSX they still wouldn't make much money as they would have to hire tons of programmers to write drivers all day. Not to mention many mac users would dump Apple hardware for clones. Just like when they had mac clones.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by EMC
Furthermore, you will be able to buy the Mac OS for intel hardware.
i don't see this happening, and phil schiller has already said that mac os x will not run on non-apple hardware.

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 05:29 PM

I'd love to think that today is the beginning of the end for windows, but I think it's much to soon to tell.

Wouldn't that be great!
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by EMC
Apple is posed to become more than a hardware and software company, but a company that brings balance to the force
Fark that. The last time someone brought balance to the force, it ended up in tyranny.
I hope the PPC rebells will strike back

-t

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 06:02 PM

I buy Macs because:

1) They just work (software and hardware)
2) The GUI/OS work the way I think
3) I demand more than what Windows can offer.

Apple can put a calculator chip in the Mac as long as it isn't blown away by the Windows counterpart, I'll keep buying.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 06:04 PM

2. Windows fails!
3. Profit!
Windows will never fail as long as PC tech cronies are alive.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 07:38 PM

Windows will be around as long as someone keeps releasing tons of horrible games for it. Then people can buy a $2000 PC for 'Word Processing and E-mail"

Forum Links
Forum Rules