Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Afga scanning SW and problems with some CPU upgrades

Afga scanning SW and problems with some CPU upgrades
Lint
Mar 11, 2000, 02:46 PM

This past week I have determined an issue with the AFGA SW for the DuoScan 1200T and a nubus Daystar 601 upgrade. The afga SW will not find the sanner (or any other device) on the on the scsi chain when the "scsi manager 4.3" part of the daystar upgrade is active. Scsiprobe on the other hand has no problems at all. My suspicion is that their SW is probing the wrong gestalt vector or something and making assumptions on the 'stock' state of the IIci. However I was unable to inform afga of this due to the fact that a client ID is required to even talk to them. *shrug*

PrePress
Mar 13, 2000, 10:12 AM

You can call 1-800-try-agfa and get a wealth of info from their faxback system. Also they should put you through to consumer tech support.

Also - what version of AGFA software are you running, does this apply when scanning directly from Photoshop, and what OS version are you running?

Mike

Lint  (op)
Mar 13, 2000, 06:48 PM

prepress,
I did call up afga, and spoke to a human (amazing these days I made full mention of the IIci with the upgrade board and that Scsi probe works fine. His only answer was a hawrdware incompatability. The IIci is running 7.6 and the afga scanning SW 3.05. The photoshop plugin from afga does not work either, it says no scanners found. By turning off the scsi manager 4.3 support on the daystar board is good enough proof for me that there is a problem with the afga SW. The true nature of teh bad programming is still let to be discovered. However I am going to try to install 'wish i were' to change the computers gestalt to see if it magically works. If so then afga is pulling the system ID vector and make poor assumptions about whats in the copmuter instead of actually querying the scsi manager version. This problme goes deeper than just the scanner SW afga's util to poll the scsi bus shows *no* devices at all. Scsi probe shows all the devices just fine. <- this is important.

ESV
Mar 13, 2000, 08:36 PM

I hope my memory's working properly. We had this very problem occuring when we were trying to make a Agfa StudioStar work on an 8100 under OS 9. Here's what I remember.

It seems to me that Agfa's scanning software looks for some libraries connected with the PCI bus in order to work. NuBus machine = no PCI software libraries = big-time crashes.

Ultimately, this print shop ended up buying a G4 for the shop, and the owner took the 8100 home as an internet box. The G4 solved a *multitude* of his problems.

The tech support folks at Agfa are quite knowledgeable and very pleasant to deal with over the phone. The one I talked to was quite polite, and let me know when he had to have $25. to continue talking to me. And he did lead me to a workaround that a home user could live with. In a production enviroment though, it wouldn't cut it.

The easy way to solve this problem is to buy a G4. Much less hassle, much more productivity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules