Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Host: Dreamhost

Host: Dreamhost
tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2005, 04:45 PM

The host I've been using for the past year and a half really sucks. Or maybe I've outgrown it. In a month I usually use 15 GB bandwidth, and almost 15 GB disk storage. I know the disk storage might be a problem, but otherwise is Dreamhost a good enough host? I had a problem with the other host where if someone visited the site too much they got shut out. The most hits I have gotten a month is 300,000.

So I just want to know how reliable Dreamhost is and if it's good enough. It's pretty cheap right now... for the basic 2 year pre paid plan, it's 7.95 per month. The reason I picked Dreamhost is because everyone seems to talk about how great and reliable it is.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2005, 11:41 AM

Yeah my current host recently decided to try and charge me retroactively for over a years billing mistakes on their part so I'm anticipating changing hosts in the next couple days. Dreamhost is who I have settled on as the most likely choice.

Selling point for Mac users...if I remember correctly they used to have AFP enabled so you could mount your remote drive on the desktop. Dont know if they still do, but wouldnt complain.

However, based on previous nightmares I am not willing to pay for 2 years ina dvance, no matter who the provider is. Anyone have referral or discount codes that amount to waiving the set-up fee? I'm more than willing to pay more per month, but $50 charge for something that is largely automated is definitely excessive.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2005, 09:30 PM

mmkay, so, use lustigs promo code and you get 50 bucks off, which basically waives the setup fee.

i'm NOT a fan of their home-made interface, cPanel is a lot more pro. also, even though the use the ability to host multiple domains as a selling point its not well set up for resellerish types. They could really use something like the WHM interface pf cPanel for hosting package management, billing, etc.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 05:01 PM

They do still have AFP enabled. Sadly I can't use it because my password is too long... Also the password gets sent in cleartext so I'd rather use SFTP or something.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2005, 10:54 AM

yea, i got it to work, well mount anyway, but get an 'some items names are too long to copy' erro, which is bs since its like a three letter filename. Hafta look into that in my free time, if I ever have some.

Meh.

noreturn
Oct 15, 2005, 07:12 AM

I'd recommend PowWeb; it's reliable and cheap. But they only give you 5 gigs of storage. The 300 gigs of bandwidth is nice, though.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by noreturn
I'd recommend PowWeb; it's reliable and cheap. But they only give you 5 gigs of storage. The 300 gigs of bandwidth is nice, though.
I haven't been too pleased with powweb to be honest. mysql performance is not that great.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2005, 08:49 PM

I've hosted a website with Dreamhost for three years and now host two more domains there. I've found them to be very reliable. What's just as important to me, when they do break down--and evyerone does!--they are honest about what happened. They maintain an offsite domain just to provide information if they should go down.

What I also like is that every since I've been with them, the deal has gotten better and better. They were a good deal to start with; they keep adding bandwidth, storage space and new features.

I don't resell domains or webspace so I have no idea what they would be like for that. I don't use their store, so I don't konw about that. But for basic hosting, I don't see how they could be beaten.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules