Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto is eating my hard drive

iPhoto is eating my hard drive
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2008, 12:16 AM

iPhoto has been useless to me for a while. every time I would open the application, it would tell me I had 7 pictures to be imported. Then it would crash. Next time I would try to open iPhoto, it would say there were 14 pics to be imported, then crash, and so on. Last night I decided to fix it, found some corrupted pics which I trashed and rebuilt the library while I slept.

This morning, I am told my start up disk is almost full. When I went to bed I had 40 or so gigs of HD space, this morning I had 290 mb free. Get Info on the library showed the size of the library at about 36 gigabytes. It's now up to 52. Seems a bit large for 4500 jpegs to me and I have no idea why it seems to be expanding. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on here? I haven't done much with/read about iPhoto 7, so I'm not sure what to do with the library icon that no longer gives you the directory, just launches the application. Any help would be appreciated.
Nemo me impune lacesset

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2008, 12:26 AM

Right click (ctrl-click) the library icon and "show package contents" to see what's going on in the library. Mucking around in there can break your library completely, though.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2008, 02:59 AM

Maybe it's duplicating all the pictures. It that to me once.

Or have you recently synced your pictures to an iPod? It could be the iPod Photo Cache, which takes up considerable space.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2008, 11:17 AM

When I had to manually rebuild my iPhoto library, many photos got duplicated, tripled, even in some cases quadrupled. I went into iPhoto and manually cleaned them out, based on size of the photo (kept the largest ones). Maybe your rebuild did this? Pain, I know, but at least my library is now complete and correct. It found several photos that had been lost/corrupt.
Mary

Forum Links
Forum Rules