Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'd shake this guys hand, but...

I'd shake this guys hand, but...
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2009, 04:43 AM

I'd shake this guys hand, but that seems to be the prelude to a sickening thud. A thumbs up from across the street would probably be safer.
Chen Fuchao, a man heavily in debt, had been contemplating suicide on a bridge in southern China for hours when a passer-by came up, shook his hand — and pushed him off the ledge.
I'm fairly certain this makes me a bad person, but I really don't have a problem with this. Closing a bridge for 5 hours while you hem and haw about whether or not to jump is just rude. Other people have stuff to do too you know. He probably could have grabbed him by the hair and dragged him off the edge I guess, but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm surprised the Chinese po-po didn't send in their top hostage negotiator <-- according to snopes, that thing about the guy waking up when he was about to get cremated is true.
Nemo me impune lacesset

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2009, 04:49 AM

Second link = major win.

Screw diplomacy. Sometimes, the crazies just need a bullet in the head.

Also: I agree with the guy who pushed the dude off the bridge.

Standing there for five hours debating whether or not to jump is just a demand for a lot of attention and press coverage - similar to attempting to commit suicide by slitting your wrists horizontally, or ODIng on something like aspirin.

Hell, anyone who tries to commit suicide publicly just wants attention. In the days when I seriously considered taking my own life, I had every intention of doing it in secret - that's kind of the point, isn't it?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 24, 2009, 05:28 PM

The guy didn't push the guy off to kill him, and that is the only reason I think it was semi-okay. He pushed him off and he landed on a pad that had been setup underneath him by the police.

5 hours of people's time is nothing compared to a person's life. If the man had died, the pusher should have been put in prison for murder. As it is, he has back injuries from it, and if I was him, I would sue for hospital bills and pain and suffering.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
The guy didn't push the guy off to kill him, and that is the only reason I think it was semi-okay. He pushed him off and he landed on a pad that had been setup underneath him by the police.

5 hours of people's time is nothing compared to a person's life. If the man had died, the pusher should have been put in prison for murder. As it is, he has back injuries from it, and if I was him, I would sue for hospital bills and pain and suffering.
Why? The man wanted to die.

Haven't you seen The Incredibles? Mr. Incredible got sued for trying to save a guy who was committing suicide.

It's like women who get upset when babies who survive abortion are aborted after the fact. The mother wanted the kid dead, so what's the outrage about?

People who commit suicide publicly are demanding attention from as many people as they can gather in as short a period of time as possible. Those who truly want to die don't do it in front of a television crew and the eyes of a nation - or even a single town or city or metro area. This guy was wasting everyone's time by holding up traffic for five hours while he waffled about offing himself.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 24, 2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Those who truly want to die don't do it in front of a television crew and the eyes of a nation - or even a single town or city or metro area.
As you plainly said, this man did not want to die. To kill someone for taking up 5 hours of your time is ludicrous.

James L
Mac Elite
May 24, 2009, 11:29 PM

shifuimam, your posts are often rationale and well thought out. Your ones in this thread, however, are incredibly ignorant.

I have been involved with suicides, attempted to suicides, private, public, etc for well over a decade through my employment. Your comments show an incredible lack of understanding.

Shame, you seem smarter than that.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 26, 2009, 08:53 AM

we had a guy hold up a major highway in the detroit area for almost 8 hours (included evening rush hour) a few weeks back. could have used a tranq gun on him and caught him below...it was just a freeway overpass. 25' at most into one of those blow up mats would have been fine. but no, lets close off an 8 lane highway (4 lanes in each direction) that 125,000 cars travel each day.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 26, 2009, 09:00 AM

Screw diplomacy. Sometimes, the crazies just need a bullet in the head.

Hell, anyone who tries to commit suicide publicly just wants attention.
So your solution is to kill them?
~Mike

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2009, 09:13 AM

Haven't you seen The Incredibles? Mr. Incredible got sued for trying to save a guy who was committing suicide.
Did you just reference a false situation in a Disney movie as justification for letting a man die?

Are you nuts?!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2009, 09:17 AM

...an animated Disney movie.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2009, 10:08 AM

Are you really making a logical argument based off a cartoon character in a movie?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 26, 2009, 10:12 AM

But my concern is that she's using a fictional situation to back her argument!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
But my concern is that she's using a fictional situation to back her argument!
Now you know how atheists feel.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 26, 2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Now you know how atheists feel.
nice; i like it! hahaha

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2009, 12:07 PM

I thought the jumper was only injured. Suicide fail.

The pusher is guilty of assault with a deadly... bridge.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
The pusher is guilty of assault with a deadly... bridge.
Oh! Oh! First-degree handslaughter.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by olepigeon View Post
now you know how atheists feel.
zing!

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Did you just reference a false situation in a Disney movie as justification for letting a man die?

Are you nuts?!
Is it also nuts to be sexually attracted to marine mammals? The Little Mermaid says otherwise.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2009, 12:23 PM

If it was wrong there wouldn't be a penis hidden on the cover.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 26, 2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
If it was wrong there wouldn't be a penis hidden on the cover.
little mermaid or incredibles?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2009, 12:58 PM

First google images entry for "Little Mermaid Cover"

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 26, 2009, 01:00 PM

already found it; the real story

snopes.com: Little Mermaid Phallus

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2009, 01:01 PM

Dude could be lying.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 26, 2009, 01:02 PM

can't be. it is on the internet. has to be true.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 26, 2009, 02:06 PM

The guy pushed the other guy onto an blow up mat... I say give him a medal. I was suicidal, I thought about jumping off a bridge, fact is though if I was gonna do it I'd have done it. This whole look at me and feel my pain thing... guh.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
shifuimam, your posts are often rationale and well thought out. Your ones in this thread, however, are incredibly ignorant.

I have been involved with suicides, attempted to suicides, private, public, etc for well over a decade through my employment. Your comments show an incredible lack of understanding.

Shame, you seem smarter than that.
I've been involved with the exact same thing for the last decade through my employment, and frankly it's left me feeling that shoving a person engaged in "selfish activities" off the bridge to get traffic moving again is perfectly expectable. My lack of empathy doesn't come come from a lack of understanding, it comes from the disgust generated by dealing with thousands of whiny borderlines and their frequent and pathetic ploys for attention. Either jump and get traffic moving or go cry to your therapist, but do something.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Is it also nuts to be sexually attracted to marine mammals? The Little Mermaid says otherwise.
Truest MacNN post ever.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2009, 02:40 PM

Also, ever heard this little comment in Aladdin? YouTube - Aladdin Subliminal

As for the jumper, I wish people would make every effort to dissuade potential suicide attempts, period. One person's life is worth a few hours of traffic. I know the guy was pushed off onto a "partially inflated emergency air cushion," but it was still enough of a thud to cause a spinal injury. It wasn't fool-proof. It wasn't Lai Jiansheng's responsibility.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
I've been involved with the exact same thing for the last decade through my employment, and frankly it's left me feeling that shoving a person engaged in "selfish activities" off the bridge to get traffic moving again is perfectly expectable. My lack of empathy doesn't come come from a lack of understanding, it comes from the disgust generated by dealing with thousands of whiny borderlines and their frequent and pathetic ploys for attention. Either jump and get traffic moving or go cry to your therapist, but do something.
/agreed. I've spent the last 15 years of my life dealing with everything related to this subject and more. Piss or get off the pot.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

andi*pandi
May 27, 2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
As it is, he has back injuries from it, and if I was him, I would sue for hospital bills and pain and suffering.
This makes about as much sense as a burglar suing for injuries when he trips over your windowsill trying to sneak out with your DVD player.

He can sue for hospital bills, if the public can sue him for the cost of the police/ambulance/response team for 5 hours, plus damages from all commuters who missed work time, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules